Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
family at A school
Last Post 10 May 2010 10:05 PM by MKCoastiemom. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
AET2bKnbb

--
10 May 2010 04:20 PM
    Im not sure if this where I need to post this, but this is a family question.

My husband and I will be going to our first base soon and from what he has explained to me, we will be there for a min of 4 months and a max of 12 months while waiting to get into A school. I was wondering how they handle families and A school? I understand that the CG does not pay for the moving to A school, (the family, not he CG member). Do most married couples move togeather or stay at the station? Is A school just like a college setting? After A school is the CG member re-stationed or do they do back to the first station that they started with? After A school, is the next step officer school, or do they have to be in the CG a certain amount of time before they apply?

Thanks!

Its never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

You are only as strong as you appear to be
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 May 2010 04:37 PM
    When Jim went to A School I stayed right where we were stationed, in Kodiak. It would have been incredibly expensive to move to Yorktown on our own dime and as luck would have it, guess where we ended up being stationed? MSD Kodiak, Alaska. Can you imagine the expense to move my sorry behind right back to where we just were because I decided I couldn't live without him for 16 weeks?!?!?! It was much easier to just stay put and go on with my day to day while he studied.

You are reassigned after A School. Ours was just a unique situation, we wanted to stay in Alaska, asked for MSO Anchorage. The MSO called Jim at school and asked if he would mind doing a 6 month stint at the MSD since there was no petty officer there. We said sure, so long as we got on base housing. At the end of the 6 months, Jimmy called Anchorage and asked when we might be able to move to Anchorage? Lo & behold our orders had been changed to PCS at Kodiak since we moved into base housing. That was a fun shocker but it was also OK since we were both happy right where we were.

As for OCS, you can apply at anytime if you have the college credits. There are rank stipulations if you don't but I don't remember what those are. Chukles or Cooch can help out with that answer.

I want to know why you think it will only be a max of 12 months prior to receiving orders for A school??? I know one guy just left Colin's ship, he has been in 2 years and only just got his orders. Our own resident Southern has been in 2+ years, almost 3 at this point and he is still patiently awaiting word on orders, he doesn't even have them at this point. Schools are moving at a snails pace right now because of the retention rate. If no one gets out, no one moves up, schools aren't needed to fill up because there are no spots available. Its all in the numbers game.

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AET2bKnbb

--
    10 May 2010 05:24 PM
    I got the 12 months based off the waiting list for his A school. Im just assuming that we would move up in the list during that waiting time. But this is why I ask, becasue Im new to this area.

Its never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

You are only as strong as you appear to be
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    10 May 2010 05:45 PM
    When I went to 'A' school, my family stayed behind.

"I'm not the smartest fellow in the world, but I can sure pick smart colleagues." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    PetesCoastieWife

--
    10 May 2010 06:30 PM
    I was planning on moving back home when my husband goes to a school. Do they move you when he goes to a school? Or do you have to do it yourself?

Proud Wife
    of
    FN Pete Vann

Proud Wife of FN Pete Vann
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    10 May 2010 06:37 PM
    It would be out of pocket if you decided to move while he was at school.

"I'm not the smartest fellow in the world, but I can sure pick smart colleagues." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    PetesCoastieWife

--
    10 May 2010 06:39 PM
    If I do move would it be a problem for them to come to our house back home to get our stuff to move to our new station?

Proud Wife
    of
    FN Pete Vann

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 May 2010 06:42 PM
    They move it from where you are stationed to where you will be stationed. If you are stationed in NC and you go home to Wisconsin but get reassigned to Florida... they are only paying to move you from NC to Florida. The easiest thing to do is just stay where you are and then transfer when the orders come through.

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    PetesCoastieWife

--
    10 May 2010 06:45 PM
    ty for the helpful info =]

Proud Wife
    of
    FN Pete Vann

MKCoastiemom

--
    10 May 2010 10:05 PM
    AET-They have to get all of their qualifications in before they can be put on the waiting list for a school. Depending on how motivated they are is how quick that happens and then like Macie said, they are moving very slow right now.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement