Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Employer hold my job?
Last Post 28 May 2010 06:19 PM by lineallowsfor. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Mustang

--
18 May 2010 02:25 PM
    If I join the Coast Guard Reserves, is my current employer obligated to hold my job until I get back from bootcamp? Also, how long do they have to hold my job if I am activated? Thanks.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    18 May 2010 03:02 PM
    I have heard that they are required to hold A position for you, but not necessarily your position. Of course, my knowledge in this area is little to none.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kinda scary. I've wondered where this started, and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus and a clown killed my dad." - Deep Thought by Jack Handey

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    19 May 2010 12:06 AM
    Google SCRA for the details

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    lineallowsfor

--
    19 May 2010 01:21 PM
    Ugh, I am running into all sorts of work issues right now.  While in limbo waiting to hear about my CG status, I applied for a promotion in my civilian job.  OF COURSE, I got an interview for the promotion and literally 2 days later my recruiter calls me say I am in.

The interview is tomorrow, and if I pass it I go to a third round of interviews.  After passsing that, I would be expected to move across the state to the new job site, train for six months, and then start the promotion position.  It's a MUCH better job, 33% pay raise.  I want it badly, but now I have a terrible decision to make between the USCG Reserves and taking this job. 

Don't mean to thread-jack, haha, but I am really torn up about this now!  I am a really good candidate for this promotion, so I think I'll get it.  But that means I'll probably have to give up on the CG for now.  So diffcult.  I'm talking to my recruiter about it later on today.  

Hopeful USCG Recruit
    Started working with Recruiter:  September 2009
    ASVAB (95) and MEPS:  September 2009
    Completed USCG Paperwork:  January 2010
    Waiting on a Ship Date

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 5/19/2010 7:25:33 AM GMT

Hopeful USCG Recruit
    I'm in!  Paperwork Approved!  May 2010
    September Ship Date?
    Mustang

--
    19 May 2010 01:30 PM
    When is your ship date?
    lineallowsfor

--
    19 May 2010 02:07 PM
    I'm waiting for my recruiter to call me back with the dates. I'll post them when I hear. If the date was in 6 months I could be in an ok spot, but I have a feeling it will be a lot sooner than that. Do you know your date yet?

Hopeful USCG Recruit
    Waiting on a Ship Date

Hopeful USCG Recruit
    September Ship Date?
    Mustang

--
    19 May 2010 03:17 PM
    I am still early in the process. I have tested am awaiting a date for the physical. I was just asking because I wondered how long the process will take. I started the process a month ago.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    19 May 2010 04:13 PM
    Line,

If/when you do get the promotion, if/when you do get your ship date... Sit down with yourself first. Weigh out each position, each job, the future of both. Look deep inside yourself for answers only you can give yourself. Then sit down with your employer and then your recruiter. Be honest with both... see what answers they give in comparison to what you are thinking about your future.

Whatever decision you make, it will be the right one! It is just a matter of processing it all out for yourself. We can all offer opinions and judgement calls but in the end only you truly know what is best for you. But you know we'll all cheer you on whichever way you decide to go.

Best of luck in the interview process!!!!! I hope you get the promotion!
    Macie :)

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    lineallowsfor

--
    19 May 2010 05:55 PM
    Thank you, OldGuard!!  I'll be keeping the forum posted about what happens.

Hopeful USCG Recruit
    Waiting on a Ship Date

Hopeful USCG Recruit
    September Ship Date?
    Punctual

--
    28 May 2010 01:50 PM
    I've been working at my current civilian job for just shy of 4 years. I never took any vacation, and it rolled over. I accumulated over 700 hours of vacation. Why? I just never took time off. Didn't need it.

I decided to join the coast guard reserves. Talked to human resources at work and they told me they are obligated to hold my job, at the position I leave at. Well, since I have so much time saved up for vacation. I told my HR representative I wanted to take paid vacation the whole time I'm in boot camp. She said that can be arranged.

So I left for boot camp 23MAR10, and came back 14MAY10 and got two paychecks the whole time. One from the department of homeland security, and one from my current employer.

I'm sure it also helps that my current employer is a law enforcement agency so they are used to having employees in the military reserves.

My supervisors have been pretty cool. They've just told me to let them know when I get orders, and let them know when I get back, and we'll go from there.

SN Montgomery
    Port Aransas, TX
    USCG Reserve
    BM 'A' School AUG10

lineallowsfor

--
    28 May 2010 06:19 PM
    I'm saving up time at my job too!  A lot of it will go to my upcoming wedding/honeymoon, but I'm working OT to earn some extra days off.

I'm in line for a September ship date.  Job offers go out in June.  So much to think about!

Hopeful USCG Recruit
    Waiting on a Ship Date

Hopeful USCG Recruit
    September Ship Date?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement