Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Missing work (emotionally)...
Last Post 25 May 2010 06:05 AM by levyii. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
lan56

--
22 May 2010 02:48 AM
    I am kinda embarrassed to say this and I never thought I would say this, but when I am off duty I start to miss being on duty. When I first arrived at the unit and was the new, unqualified, useless guy I couldn't wait for liberty to be piped. But now that I am finishing my quals, getting close to everyone at the station, and building a good reputation/memories, I find myself actually bored when I am off duty. Right now, for example, I am sitting at home wishing I was still on duty. I do stay active when I am off: I go paintballing, working out, riding my bike, and going to church. It just doesn't feel as satisfying nor provide as much companionship as when I am on duty. I sometimes hang out with the guys from the station while off duty but that doesn't always happen--they get busy with stuff (understandably). When we're on duty we workout together, watch TV together, get underway together, basically do everything together. And then we get liberty and split into our own lives... :(

Anybody else go through this? Am I acting silly and desperate or is this normal?? Any tips? Keeping busy during my off time works sometimes but not always...I sometimes wish I was on a 378' so I could spend months at a time with the guys.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    22 May 2010 03:19 AM
    I'm not in any situation like that, but ..... when you are away from 'family' you miss them! It's that simple. Your shipmates are your new family. .... the ones that make you feel useful, needed, the ones you can rely on (on duty or off). And the good part is is that's the way it should be! It shows that you bonded with your shipmates (now I'm getting mushy, sorry) and you need them.

I just miss my son, but I know you miss your buddies in a different way. No, you're not acting silly. You're acting human!

Proud mom of SN Daniel Cable - ALFA 183 

Proud mom of SN Daniel Cable - ALFA 183 
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    22 May 2010 08:59 AM
    Heh, I'll see how much I miss work when I go on leave after this 12 hours....

Don't think it's gonna be too much! :)

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    22 May 2010 11:49 AM
    Very fortunate indeed is the person who enjoys their work... :-)
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    22 May 2010 01:02 PM
    I don't think I've ever wished that I was still on duty. However, once I transferred off the ship, I realized how much I loved the daily interaction with some of my greatest friends. The ship can be a tough life at times, but those other guys/girls can make it worthwhile. So, while I like being on shore right now, I still miss the experiences that my friends and I used to have.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kinda scary. I've wondered where this started, and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus and a clown killed my dad." - Deep Thought by Jack Handey

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    22 May 2010 07:11 PM
    someone's hard for the guard. jk lol.

I feel the same way, not that I want to be on duty still, but it sucks to go from hanging with the guys 24/7 on the boat for 3 weeks to go home for a week of stand down and be like..ummm what do I do now besides be a couch potato.

"If, in order to be popular I have to do what other people want me to do, regardless of my own convictions, then I have no desire to be popular, and I am quite sure I will never be." Commodore Ellsworth Bertholf, First Coast Guard Commandant

IpoopBMs

--
    23 May 2010 01:55 AM
    try e harmony
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    uberchris

--
    23 May 2010 04:18 AM
    I work to live.......not live to work.....

Gravity brings me down....

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lan56

--
    23 May 2010 07:58 AM
    Looks like I better see a therapist then...
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    23 May 2010 01:08 PM
    I don't think you need a therapist. I think this just relates back to your other post. You just haven't found anything for that after hours time that satisifies you. There must be a lot more single people on Colin's ship because they are constantly doing stuff after hours together. You must just have a place where people have more family time after hours. You'll just need to find that something that you look forward to when you get off duty.

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    23 May 2010 08:58 PM
    If you have the time and money you could go get yourself a private pilots license and fly yourself to interesting places.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

- Mark Twain

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    disciplecore

--
    23 May 2010 10:45 PM
    In my opinion its perfectly normal, You should always be doing something you love and enjoy, when you choose a rate make sure you choose something that makes you feel this way and you will never WORK a day in your life. Enjoy your free time because you need to separate work and your life if your married or become married you will know what i mean. Good luck

"The only easy day was yesterday"

"The only easy day was yesterday"
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    levyii

--
    25 May 2010 06:05 AM
    I love the boat I am on....but I love my time off even more. After 103 days with the same faces 24 hrs a day....I don't hang out with ANYONE from the boat for at least a week. :)

BM3 Levesque, Michelle
    USCGC Rush
    Honolulu, HI

There is a tide in the affairs of men, Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune.
    Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries.
    On such a full sea are we now afloat.
    And we must take the current when it serves, or lose our ventures.
    ~William Shakespeare~

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement