Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
DEPOT training
Last Post 22 Dec 2011 03:36 PM by srf13. 31 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Sgt.1339

--
24 May 2010 06:07 PM
    I am attending a DEPOT class soon. I am curious about the overall demeanor of the instructors. Should I expect to be treated as a 18 year old kid just out of high school with no prior experience, or a trained professional that has completed a boot camp?

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    24 May 2010 06:44 PM
    From what I have "heard" through the grapevine, you are treated in a professional manner, HOWEVER.....if your company is not completely squared away from the get go, expect to get the full boot camp treatment. Perhaps a recent graduate can chime in...but DEPOT is such a new program, much remains a mystery.

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    24 May 2010 06:47 PM
    Being prior service, more should be expected of you, since you have been through this before, and you should be setting the example.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kinda scary. I've wondered where this started, and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus and a clown killed my dad." - Deep Thought by Jack Handey

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Mph1290

--
    27 May 2010 05:01 AM
    Anyone know how many Depot academy classes are offered each year? The website only lists one for june 7th, my recruiter seems very unsure...
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    disciplecore

--
    27 May 2010 01:51 PM
    I was a part of Pitstop we were next to the last company to graduate the 5 week program, we saw depot being started it seemed a lot easier than Pitstop , we were treated with respect but it was mostly the typical boot camp treatment. But expect it to be boot camp with a lot of studying and tests more mental than physical.

"The only easy day was yesterday"

"The only easy day was yesterday"
    Irish528

--
    01 Jul 2010 09:52 AM
    If someone has a question about DEPOT send me a private message. I'll try to answer them. However yes it is a bootcamp enviroment from start to finish. No you cannot use your cellphone or watch TV. Do yourself a favor and come already being able to pass both the physical fitness and swim test. If you can't go to your recruiter and push the date back if you can. Also come already knowing the 11 General Orders, The Guardian Ethos and your rates and ranks. You will not have alot of time to learn them there. It is required knowledge! Bring about 200.00 dollars to help with expenses. Bring foot powder, athlete's foot cream, sun screen, your own bathroom kit and a good attitude. Be a team player! It's only 3 weeks.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLurker22

--
    02 Aug 2010 08:10 AM
    I second everything you said here. They didn't make us learn the Ethos but I flew through the $160 I brought and had to pull another $40 out of the ATM. Also, waking up at 0430 for PFE after failing either the run, pushups, situps or swim will suck (especially if they make your whole company be there for "moral support"). You don't want to be responsible for everyone else losing an hour and a half of sleep because you were unprepared.

Like Irish said, send me a message if you have any other questions. I just graduated DEPOT 30JUL10.

SN Lehr
    jastevens1982

--
    03 Sep 2010 06:39 PM
    I am curious to know if you have already attended DEPOT? It looks like you were going to attend back in June.

I am reporting there next Sunday, 12th of September and I am curious to know what I should expect.
    ExAirborne

--
    03 Sep 2010 10:53 PM
    Hi all, new to this forum having just signed up. I am ex-Army (got out in 96) and I am looking to enter the CG Reserves some time next year (I am 38). I believe the recruiter told me I'd go through DEPOT and come in as an E-3 (I left the Army as an E-4). Does this sound about right?

Also, how often do they run the DEPOT sessions? I just need to get back in shape now - lose about 40 pounds and make sure I can surpass the CG standards for PT.

Thanks for any help or guidance any one can give.
    Irish528

--
    07 Sep 2010 02:01 PM

What you were told sounds about right abuot getting into DEPOT. Just make sure your physically fit enough to pass the PFE test before you get there and you'll make weight. They will send you home if you don't. We did PT every day at 0430-0500 because half our company couldn't pass one item or more on the PFE test. The rest of us were moral support. We ran a couple of times a week and every Sunday. The Sunday runs were 2.5 and 3 miles but its such a slow pace.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    07 Sep 2010 03:23 PM
    Tracen Cape May's website contains some information for you:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/capemay/Trai...school.asp
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    13 Sep 2010 07:36 PM
    Just to clarify, DEPOT is no longer the "laid back" style that it used to be. To best sum it up, picture 8 weeks of boot camp being condensed into 3 weeks. By that, I mean all the yelling, PT, and training. It's not a picnic.
    LF461

--
    14 Sep 2010 12:28 PM
    I am 33 years old and have been a civilian leo for 8 years now. I have been going through the process of joining the coast guard reserve since may 2010. My recruiter doesn't seem to know much about the depot training, but stated with my law enforcement experience I would qualify. Well I have been given several dates by my recruiter as to when I should expect to ship out, but there has always been a reason as to why the date had to be put off until the next month. I contacted my recruiter this past week and he advised me my packet had been shot down in regards to me attending depot training, and that I would be required to do the full 8 week boot camp. The recruiter stated the coast guard did not recognize my civilian law enforcement because it was not federal law enforcement, so I would have to attend the traditional 8 week boot camp. I do not have a problem with doing the 8 weeks because I am in great physical shape, but the conflicting information I have received from my recruiter during this process is unsettling to me. Can anyone tell me what their qualifications were in regards to them attending depot or is the information I received from my recruiter accurate? I have completed all paper work and passed the physical at meps, so now I'm just waiting to be sworn in and ship out.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    15 Sep 2010 08:42 PM
    What happens, is that your training information goes or review in what is called a Rate Determination Package. It goes through a chain of approvers, and their job is to determine if your previous training is the equivalent to the training that an E-4 has received through the Coast Guard. It doesn't have to be identical, but it has to be sufficient enough for the chain of approvers. Not many recruiters are well versed in the DEPOT process, because so few go through it each year. I've seen Electricians Mates from the Navy get approved for DEPOT and come in as an EM3 in the CG, and I've seen MP's in the Army get disapproved. It's all on the training and qualifications you've received, and how it can relate to your potential Coast Guard rating. I hope that helps.
    BLawson5

--
    01 Nov 2010 07:57 PM
    I was surprised to read your post and see you were not accepted for DEPOT. I too am currently in civilian LEO at the state level. I appled in March and rcieved approval in July. I plan on going to the program in january. I have training and certs from my current employer and I think my masters may have helped with them approving me for DEPOT. Again yo never know what or who they want. I have learned this going through several Federal law Enforcement agencies.All I can say is good luck and re-apply.

-BL
    Irish528

--
    11 Nov 2010 10:55 AM
    LF461,

Cooch is right on as to your rate determination package. My guess is because your recruiter is unfamiliar with DEPOT he/she didn't put the best package they could together for you. When I sent mine through my recuiter put everything but the kitchen sink into it. On my own I wrote a letter outlining what I had done in my career and a detailed resume. I requested both of those be placed in my packet and my recruiter agreed. What I also learned is like any profession recruiters get reputations some good, some bad.

We had all kinds of LE professionals in my DEPOT class and out of about 10 guys only 4 had Federal LE experince. The rest were all local police or county Officers/Deputies. We also had guys who had no prior military, no LE experince and were working as security guards at a retail store who were given billets as ME's. Needless to say there were people in DEPOT who should have never been there, in my opinion. On the other hand we had Federal LE professionals who had already served in the CG. In one case a guy had 8 years previous Active Duty CG experince but because he had been out for over 3 years and wanted to re-enter as a different rate (i.e. former BM to now a ME) he almost had to attend 8-week boot camp all over again. It makes no sense. We gradutated the most decorated Seaman I've ever seen who had enough ribbons and decorations to rival our CC's. And in fact we were told by our CC's there several prior service Coast Guard and other branches who were in 8-week boot camp at the same time we were completing DEPOT.

I'm sure none of this helps except to maybe explain the madness which needs to be fixed at the recruiter command level.

I would keep trying if it's what you really want, good luck.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    11 Nov 2010 03:31 PM
    Irish, All rate determination packages are prepared the same. We are required to complete them per regulations. The problem lies in the needs of the service, not necessarily the recruiter level. It may have been there was no need at the time of application, or the experience did not accurately line up. Depot packages are turned down frequently. Recruiters are all trained the same as far as basic package preparation and ALL packages to include DEPOT are reviewed by the recruiter in charge prior to submission.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Delta7L

--
    24 Nov 2010 04:39 PM
    Question....If you are given E4 or E5 on your enlistment contract, do you grad DEPOT as that or are you a seaman and make rank some other time after DEPOT?
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    24 Nov 2010 04:40 PM
    You will graduate as an E4 or E5.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    maxumpower

--
    19 Dec 2010 09:53 PM
    Well i have to say i started my process in Feb of 2009 and after almost 2 years of waiting and trying i got the depot for jan 2011. I was supposed to do the 8 week program but was turned down. My recruiter didn't give up on me and tried everything to get me in. I have no prior military, police, or any thing related. I worked at a manufacturing company for over 12 years. Getting ready for depot is the most exercise i have done. I started running and doing the required exercises since nov 1. So if any body has any tips please let me know.....i think i'll need it.
    mubikS

--
    07 Jan 2011 07:21 AM
    I am looking to join the reserves. I disenrolled the CG Academy in '03 (should have stayed in, all my classmates are O3's now) as a BM3 in the IRR, and have since obtained my Master 50GRT Inland. Working on sending the recruiter everything he needs for MEPS.

Would I likely graduate as an E4?
    Would my rate be determined before or after Depot?
    What is the possibility / process of integration into AD?
    I turn 29 on the first day of the Sep 2011 Depot... would that be the last one I would be able to get into, or do I have to be no >older< than 29?

Brown Dog Farm

--
    11 Feb 2011 12:06 PM

Hi Irish528:

I'm just curious...what did you spend $200 on?  I'm going to DEPOT in July and wondering.  Thanks!

BLawson5

--
    12 Feb 2011 09:33 AM
    Recent grad of DEPOT here. (Jan. 2011). I took $200 based on the previous posts I read. I did spend atleast $120 or $140 while there. I brought all of my toiletries and had enough where I did not have to buy them. But you have to pay a small fee for haircut, show shine kit, etc. Also I got a second hair cut while there before graduation. I also had to buy miscellaneous uniform needs at the exchange. Finally you can buy souviners like class pic., T-shirt and challenge coins, etc....
    chrislarocque

--
    24 Aug 2011 01:31 PM
    Maxumpower - I'm curious what your DEPOT package looked like.  I'm working with a recruiter to put in a package for DEPOT and keep assuring him that I'm not eligible, as I have no prior military or police experience.  I'm just an engineer turned project manager.  I do have a master's degree, but I don't see that putting me in DEPOT according to what the GoCoast website indicates.  He's convinced I meet all requirements though.  Just don't want to get my hopes up then have my package turned down and start over.
    chrislarocque

--
    24 Aug 2011 01:32 PM
    My rate is for a ME by the way.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLurker22

--
    24 Aug 2011 07:35 PM
    I was in the same boat.  BS in Psychology and management experience in a hotel before becoming a teacher was the only experience I had before going through DEPOT as an ME.  They required me to go to A-school though to learn my rate but I believe it was because I was being attached to a PSU (which is a high need unit) and it was through a high need recruiting area for reservists.  If your recruiter says you're qualified, don't look a gift horse in the mouth and accept it.  They know better based on the number of applicants they have vs what they need to get filled.
    chrislarocque

--
    25 Aug 2011 06:55 AM
    Thanks for the post.  I agree, I have no intention of arguing myself out of a DEPOT possibility.  Hopefully my package will go through and this will be a reality soon.  I don't know that I've ever been more excited about something.  My recruiter is trying to get an A school locked up for me so I can have a timeline set up.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    srf13

--
    15 Dec 2011 07:09 AM
    I just figured I would bump this thread because it kind of morphed into a discussion of getting qualified for DEPOT. I'm NOT a recruiter, just a guy who pays attention, so let that be your disclaimer.

It seems there is some confusion here as to qualifying for DEPOT vs. a Rate Determination Package. I believe that the qualifications for DEPOT have more to do with having at least 60 college credits. A 'Rate Determination Package', I thought, had to do with getting a waiver for A school if you do NOT have college credits.  This is coming from the Recruiting Pocket Guide that I found on the 'ol Interweb. This is for those of us that are shall I say... finely aged.

My recruiter thought she could get a Rate Package to fly based on my experience, but since I'm already going to a shortened boot camp (DEPOT), I didn't want to miss out on GM school. I feel like I would have been completely over my head in a PSU as a GM without going to school. We never submitted the Rate Package, because I didn't want to wait longer than I had to, and miss out on a Billet in the PSU.
    coastie2679

--
    22 Dec 2011 06:23 AM
    srf13 - I don't know how long GM "A" school is (heck, I didn't even know reservists could go GM!), but if going to "A" school is what you want to do (and it's alright with your family to be gone that long) then go for it!  I skipped ET "A" school (26 weeks - one of the longest in the CG) because of my experience.  That and my wife would've killed me if I went away for 26 weeks with 2 young kids at home!  Seriously though - "A" school for me would've been a deal breaker.  I couldn't get off from my job for half a year and I couldn't leave my family for that long (the CG only moves your family if you're stationed somewhere for 27 weeks or more...).

That being said, do I feel like I'm at a disadvantage because all of the guys in my unit went to "A" school and I didn't?  Yes.  But I'm going to "C" school in February to learn some of the systems and I've been able to absorb most of what my first's have shown me.  Of course, we're all ET's and the closest thing we get to a gun is a soldering gun!  I would imagine that a GM would have to have in depth knowledge of all the weapons they are going to interact with.  Can you learn that at your unit?  Probably.  Do they expect you to know it before you get there?  Don't know.  But I'd probably go to GM "A" school unless I was a SWAT team member with some local law enforcement and knew guns inside and out. 
    stonecold176

--
    22 Dec 2011 09:01 AM
    I'm currently on a Swat team and being prior service, the weapons systems we use on swat are nothing like I was exposed to in the military. Additionally, think about some of the larger weapons deckside on a cutter?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement