Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Update on my situation - Torn between two dreams
Last Post 16 Jun 2010 03:34 PM by Pmackey. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
lineallowsfor

--
28 May 2010 07:58 PM
    In case you have not need my post in the Reserve board, the same week I got the call from my recruiter that I have a space in the USCG Reserve I found out I'm up for a big promotion at my civi job.  freaked

So, my interview last week went very well.  I think I have a good shot at getting this promotion.  Offers will be going out in mid-June.  It would involve a 3 month training period (not 6 months, as I was originally told) and a big move to a different part of the state. 

My recruiter told me I could ship to boot in September and then A school in January.  He'd also like to me choose my date by next week.  I think I am going to have to call him this weekend to ask if I can get some more time to at least see if I get the promotion. 

I'm terribly torn right now.  Taking the job means USCG is probably out of the question.  But getting the job is not a lock as of yet, so I don't want to turn down the spot only to find I don't get the job. 

Sounds like it's time for me to make a tough call.  It's really hard to be thinking about giving up one dream to pursue another.  It's also hard to try to do the best thing for my family when it means giving up on something I've wanted to do since I was a little girl.  Everything is still up in the air right now. 

*sigh*  Anyone have any advice or going though a similar situation?  Old Guard, I'm still thinking about all the things you said in your post on the other thread!

Hopeful USCG Recruit
    Started working with Recruiter:  September 2009
    ASVAB (95) and MEPS:  September 2009
    Completed USCG Paperwork:  January 2010
    I'm in!  Paperwork Approved!  May 2010
    September Ship Date?

Hopeful USCG Recruit
    September Ship Date?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    28 May 2010 10:09 PM
    I had to go read Old Guard's post on the other thread to see if there was anything I could add to it and the answer is: Not really. I would just boil it down to this: In terms of careers, choose what your heart wants to do, not what your brain says you ought to do. Then never look back, always forward. The last thing you want in life are regrets about the road not taken.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    28 May 2010 10:32 PM
    So what was it about your current job that you werent satisfied with?? is it possible that you could wind up in the same rut just different place and job? Something has had you leaning towards the CG for sometime obviously.. What has always been that draw? I think you know your answer you are just making in complicated because you haven't gotten all your answers johnny on the spot with the CG- some of the best things in life are those we fight for the hardest!

Best wishes to you and look forward to hearing you Soar through this to the other side without regrets.. WEP was 100% right.. no matter the choice you can't ever look back and wish with regrets.. make your choice and let it work it's way out.

Proud Mom of
    FA MACKEY, JOSHUA
    USCGC JARVIS

According to the apostle John, the more we understand the shoreless ocean of God's love, the less we'll fear the choppy waters of life, for "perfect love casts out fear" (1 John 4:18).

Proud Mom of FA MACKEY USCGC JARVIS (WHEC 725) Honolulu, HI
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    uberchris

--
    29 May 2010 12:35 AM
    take a notepad. divide it into 2 columns

write your goals, expectations, likes, dislikes, needs, and anything else pertaining to your future in the first in regards to your civilian job, then do the same for the CG reserves in the second column.

weigh out what will happen and what could have happened had you made either choice, and see which one is right for you.

thats how i gave up my passion for the culinary arts and decided i was going to get a job with Seafarers International Union (maritime union), as a grunt dishwasher in the stewarding department, trying to work my way up and going out to sea for months at a time and saving a bunch of cash.

lucky for me, i got to skip all that crap and was lucky enough to get a slot in the USCG, which has already changed my life permanently for the better.

it really helps to get your thoughts out of your head and on paper when faced with big decisions. good luck to you.

Gravity brings me down....

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 May 2010 02:39 AM
    I'm glad you remembered my post! :) That makes me feel like I actually did say something that mattered to you and that's all I wanted to do. Wep is right, regrets are not anything you want if you can avoid it. So far I have had one hell of a good run and I know I'll have at least one regret... I'll never fly in a fighter jet. But that is something I have very little control over and I don't know yet that it is sure I won't fly in a fighter jet, the odds are just stacked against me.

Weigh it out, work it out... it'll be right for you! I do like the idea of you talking to your recruiter. Let him know the rock & a hard place you are between. No one will tell you that is a bad thing. You never know, your recruiter just might have some sage advice for you.

Please keep us posted how things are going!
    Macie

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Mustang

--
    29 May 2010 04:22 AM
    One thing to consider is that the Coast Guard has an age limit. You could always try for that job years down the road. If you are just wanting the job because of money I would choose the Coast Guard for now. Because even if you couldn't get that same job you could always try for something that pays well. If it were me I would pursue my dream over a pay raise.(unless I really really needed the money) Just because jobs that pay good will be around for years but the Coast Guard is something that you have to do when you are young (I don't know how old you are) BUT THIS IS JUST ME. YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE FOR YOU. good luck!

P.S. Keep me updated if you would, I'm trying for the Reserves as well. I'm still waiting to get called for a physical.<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 5/29/2010 4:28:56 AM GMT

lineallowsfor

--
    31 May 2010 01:17 AM
    Thank you everyone! You have no idea how much your responses have meant to me. I printed this thread out! I'm going over my budgets and doing my pro/con lists tonight.

You guys are great :)

Hopeful USCG Recruit
    September Ship Date?

Hopeful USCG Recruit
    September Ship Date?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    16 Jun 2010 03:34 PM
    Anxious to hear what you decided!!
    Proud Mom of FA MACKEY USCGC JARVIS (WHEC 725) Honolulu, HI
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement