Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Coast Guard Family Day
Last Post 24 Jun 2010 02:31 PM by MKCoastiemom. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
Hopeful

--
21 Jun 2010 08:56 AM
    Hi everyone,
    Just wanted to share- we had the best CG week end! It was Family Day at our son's station and we were so fortunate to be able to attend. What a great day we had! They did an incredible job. We got to tour the station and the boats,we met the CO, and the highlight of the day was the arrival of a Coast Guard helo! The crew did a demo rescue for us and then landed and talked to the crowd. They answered questions, posed for pictures, etc. It was wonderful! This was just another day to add to our list of proud moments in "our" Coast Guard adventure. We gained such a respect for the CG rescue swimmers, pilots,and flight crews. It was wonderful to talk with them and learn so many things. To top it all off, we had a wonderful barbecue lunch with all the trimmings. My son was not kidding when he said the food is great at his station. Not only did we enjoy the typical barbecue food, but so many extras as well. They sure do teach them well in Petaluma at FS A School!(go Cactus Blossom!) If anyone ever has the opportunity to attend Family Day, I say go for it! We have pictures and memories to last a lifetime.

H
    coastieproudtx

--
    21 Jun 2010 09:11 AM
    wow, that sounds like a great day! i am so glad you all got to attend. i am jealous, lol!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    21 Jun 2010 09:28 AM
    How far in adavance do they give you for family day? Does every station do this?
    Proud Mom of FA MACKEY USCGC JARVIS (WHEC 725) Honolulu, HI
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    21 Jun 2010 09:31 AM
    Awesome!

Pictures we need pictures...
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    MKCoastiemom

--
    21 Jun 2010 10:43 AM
    Hopeful, We had the same thing with our son. He is on an 87' cutter in Cape May and they had a dependent's cruise. It was really neat to get to see him in action working on his boat while we were out on the boat. The food was awesome although I really couldn't eat until later when we got back in! Stomach was a little queasy! PMackey, we knew at least a couple of months ahead of time.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    21 Jun 2010 01:21 PM
    Thanks Marie!!
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    21 Jun 2010 08:48 PM
    we gave 2 months notice for our dependents cruise and it ended up being on our Easter day port call.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Hopeful

--
    22 Jun 2010 02:49 PM
    PMackey- Hi! Yes we knew about Family Day a couple of weeks before, but that could be because my son neglected to tell us before that- LOL! He doesn't always tell us everything right away...
    Capt-will try to post pics asap
    Marie- I think I remember reading about your visit to Cape May a while back. That must have been cool to go out on the boat with your son. We didn't get to do that on Sat., but the CO told us that we could come back sometime to visit and we would actually be able to go out with our son on one of their patrol boats. My husband is chomping at the bit!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    23 Jun 2010 11:10 AM
    Hi Hopeful!! That sounds very much like my son.. infact I bet we don't hear about it.. lol but he is all the way over in Hawaii.. so, I'm not so sure how I can "plan" for that.. If I go to HI it's gonna have to be for a good amount of time wirth my money to get over there. Maybe when he gets back over on the big land will we beable to do something like that.. We'll just have to see what comes up.

I am so anxious to see my son maybe I will eventually.. But this is very very hard not being able to at least see him every once in awhile. Skye will have to be it though. Atleast while he is on land.

seeing him in ACTION would be waaay cool!
    MKCoastiemom

--
    23 Jun 2010 02:17 PM
    Hopeful, It was really neat! My husband loves deep sea fishing, boats, the ocean etc., so he was in heaven! He always wished that he had gone into the CG. He is living it through our son. Anyone that has an opportunity to go to a family day/dependent's cruise to see their son/daughter (or other family member) doing their job or what they do should seize that chance! We now may be able to go and watch him clean up oil in Florida thanks to BP!!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Hopeful

--
    24 Jun 2010 06:34 AM
    Marie,
    I have to laugh. My husband too, wishes that he had enlisted in the CG! I think he is lliving it through our son too. It makes me so happy to see how proud he is of him. My son also heard that some of them at his station could be going to the Gulf as well. No definate word yet, but there is talk. I wonder how long they would be gone if they do go... such a mess there.
    MKCoastiemom

--
    24 Jun 2010 02:31 PM
    Hopeful,
    I'm sure some will gone longer than what our son is going for but, he leaves Aug 30th and will be gone for 6 weeks. That's the longest his cutter has ever been out since he has been there. He is on an 87'. They normally only go out for 1-2 weeks at the longest. Where is your son stationed? Mine is in Cape May. Still not sure exactly where in FL he will be.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement