- Specifically for DIRAUX and DCO: You have pivotal roles in ensuring that Auxiliarists who are fully ready, willing, able, and who project a professional temperament and image are assigned to this mission. To that end, your approval of any regional volunteer is required prior to their contact of the Unified Area Command (UAC, order issuing authority), the Central Staging Area in Kenner, AL through which all responders are processed, or any other surge staffing office. You are expected to track and monitor the volunteers who are assigned from your regions.
- While there may be initial willingness/eagerness to respond to the gulf region, it is up to you to ensure that your region's personnel resource needs are met. The Commandant has made it clear that the DWH response is a CG priority. However, if a member is currently employed in a critical position or could be used to backfill a deployed Active Duty member near their home, they may be put to best use there.
- Starting this week, this office will be woven into the Deepwater Horizon Workforce Work Group that has recently been formed to tackle long-term sustainment of this response effort. More details about Auxiliary involvement/needs/expectations will stem from that effort, and will keep you advised.
-This still lacks many administrative details and specifics; we know.
1. The breadth and scope of the impacts of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill have significantly expanded and require long-term, coordinated action by the Coast Guard through the remainder of CY2010. Further inclusion of Auxiliary resources into response operations and sustainment plans is necessary. ALCOAST 324/10 has been issued to highlight this need and to solicit Auxiliary support from all regions to meet immediate needs. The text of the ALCOAST follows, and it can be found at http://www.uscg.mil/announcements/.
2. Auxiliarists who possess Auxiliary Trident qualifications as set forth in the ALCOAST are needed now.
3. Incident Command System (ICS) familiarity at least at the ICS-100 level is a pre-requisite for all applicants.
4. There is also an immediate need for 30 Auxiliarists who possess any of the following specific ICS course completions: ICS-346, ICS-347, ICS-351, and ICS-440. No substitutions/alternatives of these four specific ICS courses can be accepted. Auxiliarists who contact the Central Staging Area in response to this specific need must mention which ICS course(s) they have completed.
5. Assignments will require an on-scene commitment of at least 30 days.
6. Auxiliarists who volunteer for this mission must apply for approval through their regional chain of leadership. This means gaining the approval of the District Commodore (DCO) and Director of Auxiliary (DIRAUX) prior to any contact of the order issuing authority, central staging area, or surge staffing offices.
7. Further information is provided in the ALCOAST and more details will be forthcoming as Auxiliary resources are further incorporated into future sustainment planning.
P 221500Z JUN 10
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC//CG-DCO//
SUBJ: SOLICITATION FOR AUXILIARY SUPPORT IN RESPONSE TO THE DEEPWATER HORIZON OIL SPILL
A. COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC 122130Z JUN 10/ALCOAST 308/10
1. REF A DESCRIBED THE LARGEST OIL SPILL IN HISTORY THAT HAS RESULTED FROM THE DEEPWATER HORIZON DRILLING RIG EXPLOSION, FIRE AND SINKING, AND IT CALLED FOR AN ALL HANDS ON DECK RESPONSE AS OUR NUMBER ONE PRIORITY FOR THE COAST GUARD. OUR PRESENT MISSION REQUIRES USE OF EVERY AVAILABLE RESOURCE TO TACKLE THIS SPILL AT THE SOURCE, ON THE SEA, AND AS A LAST RESORT, WHEN IT COMES ASHORE. THIS HAS BECOME A MISSION OF UNPARALLELED PROPORTION. AS TIME HAS PASSED, THE BREADTH AND SCOPE OF SPILL IMPACTS HAVE SIGNIFICANTLY EXPANDED AND REQUIRE LONG-TERM, COORDINATED ACTION THAT IS EXPECTED TO LAST THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF CY2010. IT IS THEREFORE VITAL TO THE PRINCIPLES OF EFFECTIVE PRESENCE AND UNITY OF EFFORT TO FURTHER INCORPORATE AUXILIARY RESOURCES INTO RESPONSE OPERATIONS AND ASSOCIATED SUSTAINMENT PLANS.
2. AUXILIARISTS WILL BE INCORPORATED INTO THE COAST GUARD LONG-TERM DEEPWATER HORIZON RESPONSE STRATEGY. HOWEVER, THERE IS CURRENTLY AN IMMEDIATE NEED FOR AUXILIARY SKILL SETS IN SUPPORT OF THIS MISSION, AS FOLLOWS:
A. FIELD RESPONSE AND INVESTIGATION ALONG COASTAL REGIONS ARE A PRIORITY. THUS, AUXILIARISTS ARE NEEDED WHO POSSESS AUXILIARY TRIDENT PROGRAM QUALIFICATIONS, WITH EMPHASIS ON ASSISTANT POLLUTION RESPONSE SPECIALISTS, ASSISTANT POLLUTION INVESTIGATORS, PREVENTION OUTREACH SPECIALISTS (FORMERLY MARINE ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION SPECIALISTS), AND MARINE SAFETY WATCHSTANDERS.
B. AUXILIARISTS WHO POSSESS INCIDENT COMMAND SYSTEM (ICS) COURSE COMPLETIONS AT ALL LEVELS INCLUDING THOSE ABOVE ICS-210.
C. AUXILIARISTS ARE ALSO NEEDED TO AUGMENT/BACKFILL AT COAST GUARD SECTORS AND SECTOR UNITS AS ACTIVE DUTY PERSONNEL ARE ASSIGNED ELSEWHERE. AUXILIARY WATCHSTANDING AND OPERATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS ARE PREFERRED.
3. ALL ASSIGNMENTS REQUIRE STRONG INTERPERSONAL SKILLS AND ICS FAMILIARITY (AT LEAST ICS-100 COMPLETION).
4. DUE TO HOT AND HUMID OUTDOOR WEATHER CONDITIONS, FIELD ASSIGNMENTS MAY BE ARDUOUS. AUXILIARISTS MUST CONSIDER THIS IN DETERMINING THEIR WILLINGNESS AND ABILITY TO PARTICIPATE, AND ARE ENCOURAGED TO GET A MEDICAL EVALUATION TO CONFIRM SUCH PRIOR TO APPLICATION.
5. DURATION: ASSIGNMENTS WILL REQUIRE ON-SCENE COMMITMENT OF AT LEAST 30 DAYS. NORMAL WORK DAYS WILL BE MAINTAINED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT POSSIBLE, BUT ADDITIONAL OR EMERGENT WORK REQUIREMENTS MAY ARISE WHILE ON-SCENE.
6. APPROVAL TO PARTICIPATE: AUXILIARISTS ARE BEING SOLICITED FROM ALL
16 AUXILIARY REGIONS. AUXILIARISTS WHO DESIRE TO VOLUNTEER FOR THIS MISSION MUST APPLY FOR APPROVAL THROUGH THEIR REGIONAL CHAIN OF LEADERSHIP. THEY MUST GAIN THE APPROVAL OF THEIR DISTRICT COMMODORE
(DCO) AND DIRECTOR OF AUXILIARY (DIRAUX) PRIOR TO CONTACTING THE ORDER ISSUING AUTHORITY AND CENTRAL STAGING AREA. DIRAUX SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MONITORING AND TRACKING AUXILIARY PARTICIPANTS WHO DEPLOY FROM THEIR RESPECTIVE REGIONS.
7. ORDER ISSUING AUTHORITY / CENTRAL STAGING AREA / GENERAL
A. AUXILIARISTS WHO VOLUNTEER FOR THESE ASSIGNMENTS WILL BE PLACED IN A TAD STATUS AND WILL BE AUTHORIZED FULL PER DIEM AND TRAVEL.
B. THE ORDER ISSUING AUTHORITY FOR THIS MISSION IS THE UNIFIED AREA COMMAND (UAC) LOCATED IN ROBERT, LOUISIANA.
C. THE CENTRAL STAGING AREA THROUGH WHICH ALL PARTICIPATING AUXILIARISTS WILL BE PROCESSED IS LOCATED AT THE CROWNE PLAZA HOTEL,
2829 WILLIAMS BOULEVARD, KENNER, LOUISIANA
D. ONCE PROCESSED THROUGH THE CENTRAL STAGING AREA, AUXILIARISTS WILL BE ASSIGNED TO ONE OF THE FOUR INCIDENT COMMAND POSTS (ICP) IN PENSACOLA, FLORIDA, HOUMA, LOUISIANA, MOBILE, ALABAMA, OR MIAMI BEACH, FLORIDA.
8. ADDITIONAL DETAILS ABOUT FUTURE AUXILIARY RESOURCE NEEDS AND SCHEDULING WILL BE PROMULGATED AS DEVELOPED. COAST GUARD AUXILIARISTS HAVE ANSWERED THE CALL FOR 71 YEARS, BUT NONE HAVE BEEN AS UNIQUELY CHALLENGING AS THIS ASSIGNMENT. YOUR CONSIDERATION AND CONCERTED EFFORT AS SHIPMATES IN ANSWERING THIS BELL ARE ALREADY APPRECIATED AND ADMIRED. SEMPER PARATUS.
9. RELEASED BY RADM B.M. SALERNO, DEPUTY COMMANDANT FOR OPERATIONS.
10. INTERNET RELEASE AUTHORIZED.