Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Knives
Last Post 29 Jan 2019 04:32 PM by MKCgreasemonkey. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
enzocat

--
27 Jun 2010 08:09 PM
    I am looking to purchase a knife to attach to my PFD and am wondering if anyone knows if the Coast Guard issues a knife , and if so what the brand is.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    11 Jul 2010 07:08 AM
    It depends on the unit. I have been issued Kershaws, Gerbers, and a couple of others. Find a knife that has a good locking blade or one piece. Make sure it is easily opened with one hand as you may be injured. Make sure it is brightly colored, hard to find in dark conditions.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    11 Jul 2010 07:37 AM
    PFDs are outfitted with a whistle and a personal marker light. Once you qualify you will be authorized to wear a pyrotechnic vest which includes a blunt tip, serrated edge knife. You aren't authorized to attach anything else to your PFD or pyro vest. Most units will issue a gerber or pocket knife for personal use though.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    11 Jul 2010 12:47 PM
    I bought my son a Spyderco Saver Salt for Christmas a year back. He seems happy with it. Of course, I got him the black handled model and maybe I should have gotten him the yellow handled model but you live and learn.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/det...roduct=265
    Islander

--
    14 Jan 2019 05:39 AM
    Does the knife tip have to be blunted and if so, where is that stated in policy?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    14 Jan 2019 06:45 AM
    The knives attached to pyro vest have to be blunt tipped, that should be in the Rescue and Survival Manual or the Boat Crew Seamanship Manual. Any Boatswain's Mate should be able to point you in the right direction. A personal use pocket knife doesn't have to be blunted.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    15 Jan 2019 08:18 AM
    Chief, is that new? Bear in mind Islander and I are Aux. We are not issued pyro vests. My survival vest does include the pointed survival knife. The boatcrew manual (M16114_5C) only shows the pointed knife. My marlinspike knife is blunt though. BMs are rare where I am, though I had one home for Christmas...

BTW, he's headed to Bahrain, and thrilled. Mom and I, not so much. Didn't you do a tour? I may be hitting you for advice.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    16 Jan 2019 11:21 AM
    The rules may be different for the AUX, but if you're in doubt I would refer to the Boat Crew Seamanship Manual. I'm not an R&S expert by any stretch, so my information is based on what I have experienced.

I've never been to Bahrain, but good luck to your son!
    MKCgreasemonkey

--
    29 Jan 2019 04:32 PM
    The attachment has some options you can order through the stock system. If the image isn't legible the just google Benchmark NSN
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement