Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
No more "Coastie" Please!
Last Post 24 Oct 2018 09:45 AM by hooligan. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Informative
XGuardian

--
12 Jul 2010 03:23 PM
    As part of a recent tour of the Tracen in Cape May , I was informed by my CG Auxiliary tour guide that the official name for a member of the USCG are "Guardians" not "Coasties". This was put forward by an active duty memeber who received a commendation for the suggestion. Besides, It is more descriptive of what we are!
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    12 Jul 2010 03:28 PM
    I disagree completely, I am a coastie, and always will be a coastie! Guardian may not be sticking around very long (my opinion only). ADM Papp favorite word is shipmate. Time will tell!!
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    12 Jul 2010 03:42 PM
    Trying to dictate unit/service nicknames to military members has yet to succeed, in my experience, and usually reflects badly on those who try.
    Cassie

--
    12 Jul 2010 05:50 PM
    I personally will not use "Guardian", I don't like it. I like Coastie and I use shipmate a lot when relaying messages to my in-laws and family. My husband said a vote was sent out on which nickname personnel liked the best and "Coast Guardsmen" topped the list...I guess the reason for the vote was due to the amount of complaints of Guardian.

Lol To each their own.
    XGuardian

--
    12 Jul 2010 06:26 PM
    Hmmmm. "Coast Guardsmen"? Not very PC considering we have the highest amount of women serving of any of the other services.

I'm sorry but "coastie" seems a little soft for the bravery of our "Shipmates" that risk their lives (and lose them sometimes)everyday.

Oh well, just passing on information.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    uberchris

--
    12 Jul 2010 06:43 PM
    why dont you ask a 16 year chief boatswains mate if you can call him a "guardian" and not a coastie

you may get smacked in the lip
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Jul 2010 09:05 PM
    My ex is active duty 25 years, you will not hear him say "Guardian"... he is a Coastie, my son is a Coastie. You will never catch either of them saying Guardian, shipmates, yes. Sorry but this old girl can learn a few new tricks, that isn't one of them.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    PetesCoastieWife

--
    12 Jul 2010 10:03 PM
    Once a Coastie always a Coastie..I'll never use Guardian myself..Sorry it just doesn't sound right.. =]
    Proud Wife of FN Pete Vann
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    13 Jul 2010 05:57 AM
    I wasn't featured in any Ashton Kutcher movies. I'm no Guardian. I was brought into the USCG a Coastie, I'll be leaving a Coastie.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Cassie

--
    13 Jul 2010 07:44 AM
    Yup. I think that's why most people have an issue with Guardian.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ltate

--
    13 Jul 2010 04:34 PM
    My oldest daughter says just don't call her a puddle pirate and she'll be ok. hehe

Laurie
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    britt3907

--
    16 Jul 2010 04:42 AM
    ahh im kind of fond of puddle pirate... its better than being a squid cause squids stink like fish...lol ewwwwwww
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ssetnicky

--
    16 Jul 2010 08:58 PM
    From my experience the only time my shipmates and I use the word "Guardian" is sarcastically, lol. My friends and family all refer to me as a Coastie and I like that.
    vdowdle

--
    22 Oct 2018 12:44 PM
    Shallow Water Sailors. And of course when you tell someone you're in the Coast Guard (which I was) they look you up and down and say "I thought you had to be 6 foot tall in case your boats sinks, you can walk to shore."
    hooligan

--
    24 Oct 2018 09:45 AM
    No, not at all, this Coastie and Guardian stuff is nonsense.

What you do is you proudly look up and declare yourself to be a bathtub sailor, a diehard one, a 'REAL BATHTUB SAILOR.' Once the Navy have that image in their heads, rubber duckies and soap bubbles and a cigar, you then drop them as hard as a bad habit, "AND I'M A BATHTUB SAILOR BECAUSE ANY SAILOR CAN SAIL A SHIP, IT TAKES A REAL SAILOR TO SAIL A MOTHERXXXXING BATHTUB."

End of story, end of discussion, and Navy will shut his piehole up forever because he knows his ship had ice cream every week and movies every night underway and didn't heave, roll, pitch, and yaw like a drunken pig chasing a butterfly in a thunderstorm.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement