Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
federal no wake zone
Last Post 03 May 2019 11:08 AM by tc1uscg. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jt409

--
05 Aug 2010 07:07 PM
    i was on a river this weekend when a coast quard aux officer stop me and told me i was in a federal no wake zone because of the gas dock in the area. what is a federal no wake zone?. I was more than 150 ft away from the gas dock.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    05 Aug 2010 09:16 PM
    I think he may have been combining "federal waterway" and wake zone together. This is an interesting question which had me searching for an hour or so. There are a ton of wake laws out there. I did find one for the Ohio river, which is a federal waterway which states the following;

No Wake Zones (ORC 1547.08)
    Ohio law states that any watercraft operating within 300 feet of a marina, gas dock or launching area must travel at no wake or "idle speed." Boat operators are responsible for any damage that their wake may cause. Stay in the main channel of the river when operating at greater than idle speed.

Your best bet is to call the local Aux or local coast guard and ask. If you get an answer, let us know!
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    jt409

--
    07 Aug 2010 05:47 PM
    thank you for the info, i was actually on the illinois river, but i found out thru locals that the marina paid him to patrol the gas dock area to slow boats down even when the were more that 300ft from the gas dock
    jrh84

--
    24 Aug 2010 05:05 PM
    I know the gentleman you are talking about and I don't think he would appreciate you slandering his name saying he "took money" to patrol the no wake zone. The real problem here, is your inability to read a sign that said NO WAKE ZONE. I spoke to him about this post and he is pushing for active duty assistance to ensure that boaters are slowing down. The fuel dock that you speak of, is in fact a "No Wake Zone" and the reason the "No Wake" bouys are not out is due to the fact that they keep getting hit by barges. When (not if) the active duty show up, you won't be told, you will be ticket for going through the no wake zone.

You are correct that it is hard to find information about "No Wake Zones" but the important fact to know that no wake means 5mph. The 300 feet rule applies to lakes and usually is marked with bouys that are 300ft away from shore.

I would advise you to recant your statement that anyone was paid as this is not true.

jrh84

--
    26 Aug 2010 07:49 AM
    While I'm at it, let me also add to my post above. Regardless of how far away you are from a fuel dock, or a marina, you are IN FACT responsible for any and all damage your wake causes. If you decided to plow past the fuel dock (as uneducated boaters usually do) and someone is becomes injured...YOU are liable! If someone's boat bounces off the post's and gets scratched...YOU are liable. If your wake is so big it causes the post's to break with the strain of the boat....YOU are liable. The morale of the story here....learn to slow where boats are docked. How would you appreciate it if I came and found you on a beach somewhere and PLOWED by in my big boat?
    tc1uscg

--
    03 May 2019 11:08 AM
    The marina could or could not have paid him to provide "security" to tell people to slow down. But if he was on official CG patrol, he's acting on behalf of the USCG, not the fuel dock. If the fuel dock asked him to slow people down and he was not on official patrol, but using his "coast guard aux" credentials on behalf of the fuel dock, then there may be an issue with this aux member misrepresentation of his/her duties. I recall an incident similar to this  happening when I was at Gru Ohio River back in the mid 80's.    Maybe rules have changed since then but aux members unless authorized and in company with active duty CG personal have no enforcement authority. That's NOT what they were chartered to do. Like I said, maybe the charter has changed but it seems unlikely. 
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement