Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
CSPI??
Last Post 26 Aug 2010 12:53 PM by chukles. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
sjd22

--
26 Aug 2010 02:08 AM
    Hello, new here.

I am currently in the process of enlisting in the USCG Reserve.  I've already passed MEPs.  However, I'm also currently a college student.  I wanted to join the reserve in order to finish a bachelor's degree and earn a commission.  Today, I stumbled across the CSPI.  I have two questions:

I am enrolled in an associates degree program at an accredited community college with plans to attend a 4 year school to finish my junior and senior year. I am NOT currently enrolled in a bachelor's program. Can I still apply for CSPI?

Also, if I meet the requirements for CSPI is it a guarantee that I'll be accepted, or do I need to go in front of a review board?  After reading the requirements, I know that I am eligible on all points, minus the issue in the above question.

Thank you.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    26 Aug 2010 09:06 AM
    Just talked to a LT about this, if it's the same for reserve, once you are in the CG, you have to wait 4 years before you can apply to CSPI.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    26 Aug 2010 10:25 AM
    Once in the USCG you would apply for PPEP. CSPI/PPEP is a long and very difficult process to get accepted. You must meet Enlisted accession standards as well as Officer accession standards.

Below are the standards for PPEP;

If you're currently enlisted in the Coast Guard and are within 24 months of completing your Bachelor's Degree, you may qualify to have the Coast Guard pick up the tab for finishing your degree. PPEP allows selected enlisted personnel to attend college full-time for one or two years to meet degree requirements. The Coast Guard provides full funding for tuition, books and lab fees, and PPEP students continue to receive full pay and allowances for their enlisted pay grade while attending college full time.

Upon graduation, you will attend Officer Candidate School (OCS). Graduates of OCS receive a commission in the Coast Guard at the rank of Ensign. Graduates may be assigned to a ship, flight school or an operations ashore billet. However, first assignments are based on the needs of the Coast Guard. Personal desires and performance are considered.

Applicants must be between the ages 21 and 32 (applicants must have reached their 21st birthday, but not their 33rd birthday as of 30 September of the fiscal year in which the panel convenes)

Applicants must have at least four years active service in any military branch. At least two of those years must have been with the Coast Guard.

All applicants must provide a qualifying score on the SAT, ACT, or ASVAB. Waivers to the requirement will not be entertained.

SAT 1: Combined score of 1100 on math and verbal
    ACT: Composite score of 23 ASVAB
    A score of 109 on the General Technical portion. This score is a combination of Arithmetic Reasoning (AR) and Verbal Ability (VE).

Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended are required. Applicants must have a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale. Applicants must be able to complete Bachelor's Degree requirements within a 24-month window. The applicant must submit a letter of acceptance from the school they plan to attend as well as a degree outline.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    sjd22

--
    26 Aug 2010 10:54 AM
    Thanks for the responses. Two things.

I haven't signed my contract yet, so I have no obligation.  I'm currently waiting for approval of my ship date.

If I choose to join the reserves, I'm afraid I won't be eligible for PPEP because of the service obligation of 4 years ACTIVE DUTY before being able to apply.

So I need to know if acceptance is guaranteed into CSPI if you meet the requirements, and also if PPEP is a viable path for a reservist.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    26 Aug 2010 12:53 PM
    To answer your question with a quick answer, no you will not be guaranteed a CSPI position. You will need to talk to your recruiter for details. CSPI is a selection process like the Officer panels. You stand a stronger chance of not getting picked up than picked up. There is nothing to stop you from pursuing your education while in the Coast Guard. To meet the CSPI college requirements you would need to be enrolled or have in hand, an acceptance letter to a 4 year qualifying institution. A lot of additional steps involved, get with your recruiter ASAP!
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement