Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
My questions
Last Post 12 Dec 2010 06:48 PM by frankenstinesy. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
HighCaliber

--
01 Sep 2010 01:00 PM
    Ok so here it goes....forgive me if I have repeated some of the same ole questions lol.   I am prior service Marine Reserves.  I received a honorable discharge with a reentry code of re-1a.  I have a total of 6 years in the reserves with roughly 2 years of it on active.  I am 26 years old with only my wife as my dependent.  I got out as an E-3.  I was never NJPed nor busted down for any reason.  I have no health issues though I need to lose probabaly about 30lbs.  I have not talked to a recruiter yet because when I do I want to be my old Marine self in fighting condition.  (Cops and doughnuts man will kill you every time lol!).  My former MOS was 0311/infantry/rifleman and I have a deployment to Iraq under my belt.  My questions are would I have to go back through boot camp?  Other than the ME rating is there any other rating I might have overlooked to put my infantry and law enforcement skills to use?  I understand I might not keep my rank but since I got out as an E-3 so would I be able to keep it, and do I need to get a waiver since I did not get out as an E-4 or above?  How long (ballpark estimate) do most prior service personnel wait in order to get on active duty with USCG?  I have more questions but I have run out of time and need to go to work....
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    02 Sep 2010 07:38 AM
    You should be able to stay an E-3 with your prior service, you might want to check out BM also. You would have to go through boot camp. The length of time varies, it can be anywhere from 6-18 months. Only your recruiter will know for sure.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 Sep 2010 07:57 AM
    HAHA, I just have to do this... Boot camp is not 6-18 months, that's only 8 weeks. The way the sentences go together just reads funny to me! LOL You know someone will go into shock thinking boot can last 18 months!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    02 Sep 2010 08:42 AM
    That's how long it took Gears to make it through boot camp 
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    02 Sep 2010 09:49 AM
    I enjoyed the experience so much I tried to stay for the first half of my enlistment.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 Sep 2010 10:12 AM
    Anyone can do it in 8 weeks, it takes the special ones to extend it out a little longer!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    HighCaliber

--
    03 Sep 2010 10:20 AM

lol Yea I loved Boot camp so much I spent 23 weeks in Parris Island!  Nothing like bi-lateral pneumonia half way through training lol! 

The two main ratings I have interest in is IS and ME.  I know I qualify got a 93 on the ASVAB and an AFQT score of 84.  From what I read ME because its so new has probably the longest waiting list.  Another question I have is the A school list strictly a first come first serve basis or do they factor other priorities in?

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    03 Sep 2010 03:37 PM
    Seems to work pretty much first come, first served except you can get yourself put on hold for a number of administrative or punitive reasons.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    03 Sep 2010 06:06 PM
    Parris Island, huh? I practically grew up there. When did you go through boot?
    HighCaliber

--
    03 Sep 2010 10:01 PM
    2002-2003
    raven1484

--
    05 Sep 2010 08:59 PM
    I am in the CG, prior Air Force. I got in a little over a year ago before they did away with the prior service indoc style bootcamp, "pitstop". Prior service now has to go through the normal 8 week bootcamp, unless your job laterals directly over (pretty much only navy jobs). I'm not sure how long it would take you to get in right now. As far as A-School lists go, they are pretty backed up. Google 'A-School List' and it should be the first link available. That gives you an idea of the wait time for each job and additional info.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    06 Sep 2010 07:27 AM

a school list is posted in the frequently asked questions section.

Raven took the same path many years ago. 9 in the AF then switched to CG.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    frankenstinesy

--
    12 Dec 2010 06:48 PM
    I waited almost a year. I leave on the 14th of this month, less than 2 days, for boot camp. Just about 11 months. Be patient. It can be really frustrating. I was trying to get in last year, but by the time I was able to get into MEPS in February, all the bunk spaces at Cape May were filled for the rest of the year. I had to lose some weight before going to MEPS. I was around 216 and my max weight was 214, but my recruiter wanted me at 209. I was already in pretty good shape but I took the weight off fast. Stopped weight training and just did cardio. 30 mins of HIIT and 30 mins of the step mill will melt the weight right off. I also bought the shake weight. LOL, j/k. C
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement