Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Officer
Last Post 21 Sep 2010 01:16 PM by chukles. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Sierra

--
06 Sep 2010 08:47 PM
    On the coast guard web site it says that you can apply for ocs with a four year enlistment and are e-5 with 30 college credits? Is this right? I already have 30 credits so, does it matter what they are in? Should I join up, do my four years and bypass college? Can someone tell me if that's correct?
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    06 Sep 2010 08:56 PM
    The website is correct however you do not bypass college. You will have to complete the degree to remain an officer.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Sep 2010 06:09 AM
    Besides the fact that you need to finish the degree, why would you want to bypass it??? If you are on Active Duty, looking to go to OCS. why not continue your college education and keep striving toward that degree?? No degree, no amount of education, is ever a waste of time or money! You can only better yourself and your position with it.

Best of luck.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    noregrets

--
    17 Sep 2010 11:41 AM
    Sierra, I am 25 (I'll most likely be the oldest one in my class at boot) and I have my undergrad and graduate degree. I had my eyes set on OCS for over a year and my packet was never submitted. I backed out of a ship-date for enlistment earlier in the year because I was scared and had a lot outside of that going on. I will tell you that everyone's right. Nothing will replace your education. Granted, I have thought seriously about beating my head against a wall on more than one occasion, but it's best to finish. Now .... starting from the bottom in the CG is going to have it's moments. However, I am not opposed to the idea. I am neither above nor below anyone else no matter what their rank may be. I am beside them .... always.... whether I make Officer or not. I'm just hoping it enjoy it enough to want to re-up when my 4 years are done. Also, with the economy, OCS has been very selective. I wish you all the best. Finish that degree.... especially if you're paying for it.
    h60tweet

--
    21 Sep 2010 04:38 AM
    Posted By chukles on 06 Sep 2010 09:56 PM
    The website is correct however you do not bypass college. You will have to complete the degree to remain an officer.

What states that the degree must be completed to remain an officer?
    chukles

--
    21 Sep 2010 04:46 AM
    I will find the verbage. I am pulling off my LT that went through the program. We ended up in the same classes together.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    21 Sep 2010 12:03 PM
    There actually isn't anything that says you must complete your degree to remain an officer. I know one officer that made it all the way to O-5 without a degree.

Did you catch the part where I said ONE. The problem you face is the selection board. In a time where we are promoting very few officers for the next rank, items like degrees, and other follow on training becomes more and more critical. Think about it this way, over 90% of the officers coming into the ranks have, at minimum, a Bachelor's degree. That means you are already behind in the education side of things. Most officers being selected for O-5 have a Master's degree. Unless you are the epitome of a CG officer (which the officer that I spoke of is) you will not be selected for O-5 without a Bachelor's degree as education in one thing that is used in the decision to select or not select people in an extremely competitive field of people. 

You most likely won't be selected to O-4 either without a Bachelor's degree as that promotion is based on being the best qualified as well and education again will play a factor. Below that rank, you have as good of a chance as any but I would suggest getting your degree as soon as you can.

So, no written rule but when you are competing against your peers it will become a decision factor for promotion.
    chukles

--
    21 Sep 2010 01:16 PM
    Sardaddy beat me to it! I stand corrected. The info I received is as sardaddy states.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement