Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Nov 16, 2010
Last Post 11 Jan 2011 08:03 AM by bikesnotscott. 100 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 4 << < 1234 > >>
Author Messages
tullbot

--
19 Oct 2010 07:15 AM
well one good thing about it is that there are definitely older recruits joining the coast guard than other branches. so hopefully we are among good company. Sara have you put in your OCS package yet? i was going to do a dual application but i think i'm just going to get my paperwork in once i'm through boot camp and get my orders. long list from what i understand.

i was in New Orleans from March-September of 08 so i wasn't there for football season. a good thing i guess!

Basic Member
Basic Member
noregrets

--
19 Oct 2010 11:32 AM
Yes. I think it'll be good to have a nice mixture in boot. I am anxious about the company, that's for sure. Perhaps some of us will manage to go through together. I didn't submit my package. It was definitely ready to go. Maybe this just wasn't the right time. Initially I thought that I'd go HS and just stick with it instead of going OCS. Who really knows. Don't we now have to make E-5 before we can submit for OCS now? I never typically get things on the first try (just ask my capstone committee for school.... ha). I definitely think it'll take a try or... three or four before I get there.

Americorps, eh? How was that? Most people I know loved their experience. Best wishes for a fast week!
tullbot

--
20 Oct 2010 08:10 PM
if you have a degree you don't have to make E-5. without a degree you do need to make E-5 before you can apply. but my thinking was that if i do end up doing OCS later that i should spend some time enlisted first. and who knows maybe i'll like it and not want to go to OCS. and Americorps, yeah i loved it. i did one year in NCCC and one with a state program working for Habitat for Humanity in delaware. NCCC was super exciting and i was lucky enough to spend most of in along the gulf. primarily in new orleans and the surrounding area. so hows your preparation going?
Trusted Member
Gears

--
20 Oct 2010 08:23 PM
If you are shipping on NOV 16 you are going to be in the same company, barring the possibility that the company is too big and gets split (not likely). FYI you guys will be Hotel-184, good luck. You're gonna need it.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
Basic Member
Basic Member
noregrets

--
21 Oct 2010 08:31 PM
That's great about Americorps. I have really heard nothing but good things about the program. It really gave you an opportunity to travel which is nice! Prep's going.... I wouldn't say my arms are anywhere where they should be. I think that's going to be my toughest part. I can meet the qualifications, but 15 pushups in a minute.... really... that sounds pretty sad. I'm hoping my little brother can kick my butt into gear when I move back to IN next weekend. I'm worried about the swim without pool access, but I think I can manage. Legs are good stuff. I run and spin quite a bit. And the bookwork .... is getting there. How about you?
Thanks for the info on OCS! I had heard two different stories. So it's good to know that it's a possibility. Maybe I will hold out for HS now. I think I'd prefer it over OS and if I apply, I apply. I'll definitely take my time in getting there I'm sure.
Thanks for the info, Gears. I had heard we would be split originally. Thanks for the well wishes too .... we're going to need lots of it! Hotel-184. It seems so real now. Granted, it'll probably be a nightmare later.
Trusted Member
Gears

--
21 Oct 2010 09:43 PM
I know one of your CCs. It's gonna be a nightmare, but in the good way.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
Basic Member
Basic Member
Lance

--
21 Oct 2010 09:55 PM
Hey guys,
Had my date switched to November 29th. I hope only the best for you guys and good luck!
tullbot

--
21 Oct 2010 10:20 PM
yeah! we were like a hippie version of road rules, only instead of get drunk and fight, we got drunk and did disaster relief work lol. it really was a great experience, fond memories. hopefully more on the way with our new adventure. yeah i'm a little concerned about the run. my cross country days are WELL behind me. and i'm hoping i can get through the rest of it at the minimum. what is HS? i know i should probably know that haha.

and gears, i've never had a good nightmare. never.
Trusted Member
Gears

--
22 Oct 2010 05:59 AM
Tullbot,

HS is Health Services Tech, basically a mechanic for people.
Basic Member
Basic Member
noregrets

--
23 Oct 2010 12:42 PM
Got drunk and did disaster relief work? Well, that sounds like college. I’m not really the party girl type, so this whole “military party” thing is going to be interesting. I’m too old for that business. My cross days ended 7 years ago. I’ve been doing 5ks, but I’m not great by any means. Really worried about the ol’ upper body strength. Definitely need a buff dude to yell at me and tell me how much I suck. Ha. Health Services Tech. I guess we’ll see. Gears, did you go BM? I can’t remember.

I, too, have never had a good nightmare. I’ve had plenty of nightmares though. Not really looking forward to living this one out for an entire 8 weeks. I’m starting to wonder what I did to myself.
Alec006

--
24 Oct 2010 08:56 PM
My friend just got out of Coast Guard Basic Training. He said you will be starting to question Day 1 and that sleep deprivation begins Day 1. He gave me some tips, although he could'nt tell me everything. Here is some tips he gave me and ones that I have collected.
1. Don't touch your face
2. Don't point
3. Do NOT look at ANY of the Company Commanders unless thier showing you how to do something, and def dont stare them in the eyes. Also do not look into their offices. He told me that one guy did that and the Company Commander made him go to every Company Commader office and say,"Peek a Boo".
4. Don't take anything personal your going to have,"your day". When the Company Commanders are just dogging you out.
5. Dont smile
6. Take NOTHING personal
tullbot

--
26 Oct 2010 08:30 PM
so coast boot camp is like an avenged sevenfold video? why didn't anyone just tell me that. it ALL MAKES SENSE NOW

and Sara i'm nowhere near the fitness level of the old cross country days. i think i'm most worried about the run. aside from the actual test, i wonder how much running we will actually do?
Basic Member
Basic Member
noregrets

--
26 Oct 2010 09:38 PM
I've been checking out the videos on youtube. Yeah ... I'm that girl. Looks like a little, but not much. Lots of IT. I am worried about the sit and reach. haha. I can't touch my toes, none of my siblings can either. I don't know what's wrong with us.

Getting a little nervous, but it'll all be worth it. So ... are we looking at a January 14th Grad Day if not reverted? Thanks for the info, Alec. I'm a little worried about my "dancing eyebrows."
Trusted Member
Gears

--
26 Oct 2010 11:08 PM
Posted By tullbot on 26 Oct 2010 08:30 PM
so coast boot camp is like an avenged sevenfold video?

Yes. Keep that in mind when you meet your CCs for the first time.

tullbot

--
27 Oct 2010 06:46 AM
haha alright i'll remember that. now i'm probably going to laugh.

are there videos online aside from "Its Only 8 Weeks?" i've heard those are very outdated, in fact we watched them when we went to see my brother graduate in 2005. you should just shave your head and eyebrows, that way they wont be able to tell they're dancing!

Duck_Scrubber

--
31 Oct 2010 02:21 PM
My name is Andrew. Im shipping out the 16th of November out of Columbus, Ohio. I've got my general orders memorized and im still working on the physical aspect of training. I'm excited to go to basic and start my career. Any pointers i should know about before I go into basic?
Basic Member
Basic Member
COASTIE_OS

--
01 Nov 2010 04:41 AM
Alec who was your recruiter?? I flew from NO last year in April and had John Devine. He was pretty good he drove 4 hours to my place and took me to NO each time I had to.

As far as general orders go I suggest you know them before you get there and dress decent no sagging pants for the guys and no bellies showing for the girls.

*Noregrets* as far as you go being a nonrate is not all that bad... I complain daily but its because of some of the people I work with. On the days those people aren't around I love being a nonrate... besides the lesser pay its a pretty sweet deal. I mean I am going OS because I need more pay and do not feel like waiting for MST (which I wish it was a shorter wait) but I'm happy with my decision. I'm already an OS in training where I'm at so to speak...

Also, to the ones asking about your company name it will be a letter from the phonetic alphabet.. I.e. Alpha, bravo, charlie, delta.... with a number behind it like 184 or 185 not sure where they are with the numbers these days.

I was a part of Oscar 181. Before I shipped my recruiter told me who my lead Company Commander was which was the guy in the just 8 weeks video last year and the year before I believe he is now the Section Commander... He is Chief Ruchser and totally awesome but don't tell him I told you that!

Gears who is their CC?? No one beats mine!!! BMC RUCHSER! Love that old man lmao. And AETC PENA(RETIRED)
Trusted Member
Gears

--
01 Nov 2010 06:54 AM
Gears who is their CC??

They'll find out when they get there. They can be assured they are going to be trained by some of the most dedicated Coasties I've ever met.
Basic Member
Basic Member
noregrets

--
01 Nov 2010 10:21 PM
Welcome Andrew! Getting nervous? The butterflies are rolling here. I've recruited my 23 year-old younger brother in assisting me with the upper-body core exercises (push-ups, etc). I am pretty sure he's enjoying the free reign he has over yelling at me and ordering me to do more. A little payback on his end, I think.

Well, the dedicated CC part is wonderful. Despite the fact that I'm going to be miserable, I'll definitely appreciate it at the end.
Tullbot, there's a plenty of new recruiting videos. A guy from my university was a part of XRAY- 181. http://www.youtube.com/USCGRecruiting ..... there are several videos following 4 different recruits over the span of 8 weeks (well, for the most part. One was discharged around Week 4). Even in that, it was very insightful to listen to the recruit explain struggles and reasons behind decision. Hope that helps.
tullbot

--
02 Nov 2010 10:04 AM
great thanks sara i will definitely check them out! has your brother turned you into a pushup beast yet? Andrew if you are from columbus you should have no problem at all with the cold!
Duck_Scrubber

--
02 Nov 2010 04:54 PM
Sara - Actually i thought i would be getting really nervous to leave by now, but im feeling pretty excited. I think i should have worked on the running and working out a little more than i should have but i should be fine.
Tullbot - Im not actually from Columbus, im from a little town called West Manchester west of Columbus. We have close to the same winters sometimes colder.

Thank you for your replies.

SR_AWs_Mom

--
06 Nov 2010 09:16 AM
Hi Everyone! I've enjoyed looking over these forums for the past year now as, my son, Andrew has gone about the process of entering the Coast Guard. If anyone is interested there is a FB page set up for Hotel 184. It is http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk...3432528211 or you can search within FB under USCG Hotel 184. There is also a page set up for family, relatives, and friends at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk...455634868. Hope to see some of your family there so we can commiserate while you all are at Cape May! Congratulations on your wonderful decision to become a Coastie and I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers in the coming weeks. -- Dawn
Basic Member
Basic Member
noregrets

--
07 Nov 2010 10:31 AM
Thanks for sharing, Dawn. We appreciate it. Man .... a little over a week. My stomach's in knots already! Let's do this.
Alec006

--
07 Nov 2010 02:16 PM
Lets do this 9 more days!
tullbot

--
09 Nov 2010 10:51 AM
thank you for posting that Dawn! my mother set up a facebook profile just so she could join that group and hopefully see a few pictures of us, and talk with some other family members.

gang, i'm a bucket of nerves. anyone else? definitely need to just do this and get it done with
Alec006

--
09 Nov 2010 11:28 AM
Lol. Tulbot we can do this! Were Hotel 184. Just don't get excited or nervous and study the crap out of anything you can find.
tullbot

--
09 Nov 2010 03:12 PM
haha i hope you're right. i think its just going to be getting used to the routine of it that will be the biggest struggle. and i could definitely stand to brush up a bit on the old general orders. you making out alright on your required knowledge?
SR_AWs_Mom

--
09 Nov 2010 06:52 PM
Posted By tullbot on 09 Nov 2010 10:51 AM
thank you for posting that Dawn! my mother set up a facebook profile just so she could join that group and hopefully see a few pictures of us, and talk with some other family members.

gang, i'm a bucket of nerves. anyone else? definitely need to just do this and get it done with

tullbot, your quite welcome.  My mom had her own FB page already, but ole Dad wanted to jump on the bandwagon so he wouldn't miss out on anything, so I set up his page too.  They have already hit the "Like" button on the USCG Hotel 184 page
Basic Member
Basic Member
noregrets

--
09 Nov 2010 09:49 PM
Required knowledge.... those general orders are still getting the best of me! Everything else is pretty much cake. If possible, you may want to review the most recent CG publication or at least knowledge on Munro.

I guarantee I'm going to suck hardcore. I can study like crazy, review everything under the sun, and workout like mad... but I guarantee I will still not be up to par. However, I don't think hardly anyone is. Let's just get this over with already. We're all in this together, Hotel-184. We're going to have to be one big happy family from here on out.
Duck_Scrubber

--
10 Nov 2010 12:34 PM
I'm ready to ROCK N' ROLL!!!!
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement