Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Re Code 3, Sep Code JFO, I'm Healed, Have Proof, Can I Re Enlist in Reserve or AD?
Last Post 01 Oct 2010 01:14 PM by Cooch. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Enforcer29

--
24 Sep 2010 09:39 PM
    Hey all, I was discharged in 2009 from the Army during Military Police AIT (or A school as it would be called in the Coast Guard) for an 80% stress fracture to my femoral neck. The doctors did surgery and put 3 permanent screws in my hip to ensure that the bone did not break all the way through. I received an Honorable Discharge, with a Re Code 3 and a Separation Code JFO. The JFO Separation code is a newer code, that is used for noncombat related discharges. I received a 20% disability rating from the Army. Since I have been home, my injury has healed. I went back to the Department of Veteran Affairs and had my injury evaluated when applying for my service connected disability. My disability rating from the VA was that it was healed and I received a 0% disability rating. Since I was home, I got hired as a Reserve/Part-Time Deputy Sheriff, went through a medical exam and I was cleared by the doctor for the duties of a law enforcement officer. I completed a law enforcement academy here in California with no problems and graduated #1 in my class and took all the other awards in my class. I have read on the internet that having positive recommendations from my previous unit commander in the Army would help in getting my waivers approved, however I did not really know my CO because we had a change of command right when I got injured, and when I was placed in a physical rehab unit, we never had much interaction with our CO or XO. So that's not a possibility, however I can get a positive recommendation from all of my Tactical Officers from the police academy if that would help. I can also get my medical evaluations from my medical exam for Deputy and the doctor's clearance. I workout almost everyday, and I have had no recent complications with my injury. I miss the military and serving my country, and I wish to reenlist as either Active Duty or Reserve in the Coast Guard. I think that it proves my injury is healed, that I wasn't discharged in bad terms from the Army, and that I'm a dedicated and hardworking individual that can be of great benefit to the Coast Guard. Given all this information, what do you think the chances are of me being able to get approved for a medical waiver and being able to reenlist AD or Reserve? Will it make it any harder since the Coast Guard is hiring very few people? Thanks!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Sep 2010 07:07 PM
    It would probably be an uphill battle at best. I know for a while the CG was not accepting any waivers, if that is still the case or not, I do not know. I think the hardware is more of a deal breaker than anything else. But again, I'm guessing. Your best way to get sincere, honest answers... speak to a recruiter. We would only be making speculation here. Thank you for the service you have already given, good luck on getting back in and serving more. I wish you all the best.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Enforcer29

--
    26 Sep 2010 12:46 AM
    Interesting, I didn't think the hardware would cause a problem, I was more worried about me RE Code and the Medical Discharge. I'm going to call a recruiter on Monday, and try to get an appointment. I've read on here that it seems more of like a job interview now than how it was when I joined the Army (casual, they were trying to get you). So I was thinking of going in a suit and tie, with a resume, my DD214 and medical documents from the VA clearing me, and some selling points to try and get them to work with me.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    26 Sep 2010 07:27 AM
    It is very much like a job interview. In no way am I putting down the Army, I know there are interservice rivalries and this isn't what I'm implying here... The Army is huge, they probably have an opening for just about anyone that qualifies. The CG is smaller than the NYC Police Department. They are looking much more for the BEST 10, not the first 10 through the door. So first impressions will go a very long way with a recruiter. Having all of your paperwork & documentation all in order will also help. No telling the recruiter "I have it but I didn't bring it." Appearing as prepared as possible & able to prove everything before the questions is asked... +++.

I don't think you have an easy road ahead of you. I'm not sure how open the road is... but if you don't ask, you may as well not even start the car! Please don't expect them to answer the phone or even return the call in half an hour. I don't know if it is still as crazy busy as it was 6-9 months ago but recruiters are very taxed right now. It might even take a phone call or two from you before they do call back. But don't give up, again giving up will not get you into the Guard. Best of luck & if you would like any more pointers, even though you've been there already, you might have questions. Let us know.

Macie
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Enforcer29

--
    28 Sep 2010 11:48 AM
    So I contacted my local recruiting office just now, and I told them I was interested in enlisting in the Reserves. They gave me the phone number for the Reserve recruiter and I contacted him and told him I was interested in enlisting. He started asking me a few questions, age, height weight, drug use, etc. After a few questions, he asks me if I ever had surgery, and I explained to him how I'm prior service, was discharged for an injury which required surgery, have a RE 3, but since then have gotten cleared by the VA and completed a police academy and I'm good to go. He asked me if my screws were removable, and I told him no. He told me I'd never get cleared by MEPS for any branch with the hardware and that since I was discharged for the injury, that it's obviously a problem, and that he's been doing this for a long time and that by trying, it'd just be wasting his time, my time and MEPS time. That was about the end of our conversation, and the end of my potential service to the Coast Guard =(
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Sep 2010 12:05 PM
    I was afraid the hardware would be the deal breaker on all of it. People have had to have that removed before the idea of enlisting can even be entertained. I am really sorry, I imagine how disheartening it must be to have a calling to do something and be told no. I certainly wish you the very best. It sounds like with the police department and all you still have an amazing future in front of you. Be careful out there... there are some real nut cases they let run loose on the streets.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Enforcer29

--
    28 Sep 2010 07:00 PM
    I also contacted 2 Navy Recruiters today. The first one told me that the hardware is not an automatic DQ for the military, it would require a waiver. He said however my RE code would prevent me from reenlisting and he cannot get me a waiver for that. The second Navy recruiter I talked to said that the re code wouldn't be a problem, I just have to apply for a waiver and assuming my injury is healed, it should get approved.

Now I know it's comparing apples and oranges (Navy to Coast Guard), but it sounds like it depends on who the recruiter is, and how hard he's willing to work to help an applicant out with getting a waiver. I still want to go CG, so I'm going to contact the other CG recruiters in my area, hoping that one of them will give me a different answer and be willing to help me out and work with me. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Sep 2010 08:43 PM
    Never stop reaching for a goal you want to attain, you will never get any answers if you don't ask. But there have been multiple posts on this forum alone about retained hardware and the answer basically always comes down to automatic DQ. The CG stopped looking at waivers about a year ago because there are so many applicants that need no waivers to get in, they just feel it isn't necessary to entertain those at this time. Call recruiters, ask, you never know... but please, please, please do not be disappointed or surprised when you here repeated no answers. But keep asking, I have been wrong so many times, I could very well be wrong again.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    01 Oct 2010 01:14 PM
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you won't be able to get into the Coast Guard. The hardwards being in a load bearing joint, and the RE code will both be deal breakers for the Coast Guard. If another service will get you a waiver, that might be your best bet. Good luck to you.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement