Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Non-rate Training
Last Post 30 Sep 2010 06:14 AM by Old Guard2. 22 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ColinT

--
28 Sep 2010 02:14 PM
    I've been that going in as an active non-rate means going to boot camp and then directly to my permanent station. Once there I have some training to do that everyone does. Once I complete that training I will be promoted to E-3 and then will be eligible to go to A-school. Is this the correct sequence? If it is, what is this training that everyone has to complete to get to E-3?

Does it help that I already completed some Coast Guard training a few years ago when I worked for a cruise line? I completed the following courses under the STCW:

Water Survival (Lifeboatman)
    Basic Safety - Elementary 1st Aid...1 day course
    Basic Safety - Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities...1 day course
    Basic Fire Fighting...16 hr course
    Basic Safety - Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting...1 day course
    Basic Safety - Personal Survival Techniques...1 day course
    Crew Safety & Security Awareness
    Crowd Management - Operational Level

Do the above courses count for anything? I still have the certificates as proof of completion.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    28 Sep 2010 02:31 PM
    You have the basic steps correct. The qualifications for your first unit depend on the type of unit you go to. Quals for a 378' are different from a Small Boat Station. Your certificates MAY help you out. GIve them to your recruiter. They'll be able to make a determination for you.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    ColinT

--
    28 Sep 2010 02:38 PM
    Thanks for the info. Are the qual's just things like seamanship and firefighting? What is the difference between being designated as a Fireman, Seaman and Airman at the E-3 level?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    28 Sep 2010 03:44 PM
    Not much. If, coming out of boot camp, you're assigned to work in an engine room, you'll be designated a Fireman. For almost anything else, you'll be designated a Seaman. If you apply for an aviation 'A' school, you'll (eventually) be assigned to an air station as an Airman before going to 'A' school.
    ColinT

--
    28 Sep 2010 04:04 PM
    Those certificates I listed above won't count towards enlisting as E-3 will they? I should already enlist as E-2 because I am an Eagle Scout and I am in my Junior year of college.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    28 Sep 2010 04:14 PM
    If you have 60 credit hours from an accredited college, you will probably qualify to enlist as an E-3. Check with a recruiter to be certain. If so, you will make $500 more before taxes in your first six months and you will get to wear three stripes instead of two for 4 of those 6 months. After that, there is no further benefit. Now, $500 is $500 so, if you qualify, make sure you get it. But don't panic if it turns out you don't qualify after all.
    ColinT

--
    28 Sep 2010 04:59 PM
    I was basing what I said off of this web page:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/join...edrank.htm
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    28 Sep 2010 05:53 PM
    I can confirm 60+ college credits or an Eagle Scout Cert makes you eligible for E-3. Your recruiter can help you out with the paperwork.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    ColinT

--
    28 Sep 2010 07:26 PM
    Thanks for your confirmation Gears. I must ask though, how can you confirm it? Are you a recruiter or did you enlist as an E-3 with one of those qualifications?
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    28 Sep 2010 07:31 PM
    Gears knows things, trust in his judgement completely...
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Jdw21

--
    28 Sep 2010 07:34 PM
    Posted By captkyguy on 28 Sep 2010 08:31 PM
    Gears knows things, trust in his judgement completely...

I do not no if it is a good idea if you trust him in everything he says lol. But you can trust him in any coast guard related questions. 
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    28 Sep 2010 07:48 PM
    JD, when I told you the dinosaurs went extinct due to an overabundance of methane in the atmosphere (i.e. too much farting) I was right.. and I still stand by that statement.

Colin, I have access to pretty much every manual the CG publishes. I make it my business to know what is contained within all of them.
    ColinT

--
    28 Sep 2010 08:24 PM
    I appreciate all of your help. Thanks a lot!
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    29 Sep 2010 03:19 PM
    All the cows are going to doom us all...lol
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    29 Sep 2010 04:57 PM
    Which is why we need to change them into hamburgers and steaks ASAP!
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    29 Sep 2010 05:38 PM
    gears +1
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    29 Sep 2010 07:45 PM
    gears +2
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Jdw21

--
    29 Sep 2010 07:50 PM
    had to do it. Gears +3
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Sep 2010 07:53 PM
    Gears steak is good but turkey testicles are the way to go! +4
    USCGC Midgett
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Jdw21

--
    29 Sep 2010 07:56 PM
    haha Macie please don't bring up the turkey testicle festival lol.
    Garrett375

--
    29 Sep 2010 11:08 PM
    turkey testicles?
    ... i think im gonna be sea sick...
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    30 Sep 2010 05:27 AM

I can't wait to go to the Turkey Testicle Festival. Macie and I are gonna have a ball!!

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Sep 2010 06:14 AM
    That is going to be a lot of laughs and fun!!!!! I can't wait. Maybe we'll have two balls. Can't have a lopsided turkey!
    USCGC Midgett
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement