Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
What are my options?
Last Post 05 Nov 2010 04:08 PM by Gears. 15 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
TacticMan

--
28 Sep 2010 05:10 PM
    Hello,

In order to ask my questions, it is appropriate that I provide a little background. I wanted to join the military straight out of HS but due to a series of unfortunate events I was prevented from doing so. I am now 30 years old, married, with a 2 year old son and am finally able to pursue my initial desires. With that said, I am currently a student in the American Military University with a year and a half to go toward my degree in Military History (with focus areas on Maneuver and Asymmetrical Warfare). I can have this degree completed by this time next year if I am able to go full time. I am also working toward a BA in Psychology, with terrorism as my focus (same completion deadline). My work experience includes 5 years of Logistics and Transportation, Operations Process Development, and Project Management. I am extremely interested in the Direct Commission program although being that I do not have a military background I am not sure if this is a likely option. I would like to start as an ensign and proceed up the ranks from there. Although I am 30, I have maintained physical fitness and have the full support of my family to do what is needed. I deeply desire a direct commission position and would like to know what my chances are given the previously mentioned background. 

Thank you,
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    28 Sep 2010 06:09 PM
    I don't have the book in front of me, but in order to apply for a Direct Commission Program you typically need a degree in a specific area (i.e. environmental management, law, etc). Once you have your BA you may qualify for the Select Reserve Direct Commission Program. You'll have to contact a recruiter to get more specific info.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    TacticMan

--
    28 Sep 2010 06:27 PM
    The local recruiter said they dont deal with officer recruits, and that I should come here..

Anyone know where I may find some answers? Or, what my options are with the qualifications I mentioned in the initial post? Is OCS my best option?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    28 Sep 2010 07:45 PM
    You're over the age limit to apply for OCS, and you'll have to find a recruiting office that handles Officer applicants. This is a public forum not a recruiting office.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    TacticMan

--
    28 Sep 2010 08:06 PM
    If anyone has any real info, id appreciate it. I was told it was difficult to join, but finding information?

There are no other recruiting offices in my city.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    28 Sep 2010 08:16 PM
    Are you sure you were told to come "here" and not to http://www.uscg.mill or http://www.gocoastguard.com?
    TacticMan

--
    28 Sep 2010 08:26 PM
    Ive already sent for info through gocoastguard.com but haven't received anything. The recruiter spelled this one out specifically, even wrote it down. Could have been a brush off, or simple misinformation. Ill keep digging..
    TacticMan

--
    28 Sep 2010 09:29 PM
    Whoa there fella, dismissed two of your finest gentlemen? accept me into OCS, Boot Camp or elect public office? Whos really making the negative comments here. I asked for information, not to be recruited. The subject line from my post asks a question, and i repeatedly asked for info, or where I can find it. I receive your criticizing response, and gears criticizing response "This is a public forum not a recruiting office". Of which I responded asking for real info. wepprop tried to help, and there was no negativity in my response whatsoever. I came here because I was told to, everyone's pickle should be with the recruiting office that directed me here. Several people here asked similar questions about what to do, yet when I ask it I get this? Thats interesting. what does my number of posts have anything to do with asking for information? Not a thing, that is what this is for as you stated yourself. What advice did I get? Talk to a recruiter..and the recruiter said ask here but my stating so is considered "not overly positive". Whatever, as previously stated I was probably misinformed. This, my friend, is not an overly positive post. Good day to you.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    28 Sep 2010 09:37 PM
    Interestiing.. I thought I was stating a fact. Criticism denotes offering an opinion.. and when did Macie get a sex change?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    29 Sep 2010 01:31 PM
    Off the top of my head, I would guess that http://www.coastguardocs.org would be more likely to have answers to your questions than would this forum. Good luck!
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    29 Sep 2010 01:41 PM
    nevermind. i dont want to feed the trolls.

TacticMan

--
    29 Sep 2010 02:32 PM
    Im not sure what post you are reading, but its not mine. I asked noone if they were a recruiter, and i didnt question anyone of anything, and certainly didnt ask for a rank. Outside of asking openly a few general questions, I've done nothing else. He seemed like he didnt know, so I opened the question up to anyone. Nothing wrong with that.

Judgements are a form of criticism, which are continuing to be layed upon me for trying to find out information. It is absurd. Stating that this is a public forum, not a recruiting officer implies that I am trying to join or be recruited, as youve both clearly decided, which is an inappropriate judgement and was a completely unnecessary comment that enticed my response. The intent and purpose of this site was never in question. I'm not the one that took the initial attitude. Neither of you seems to have noticed that I stated that I am still in college and will be for at least another year. I cannot join, especially as a direct commission, until I graduate. I am trying to find information, prepare, find out if this is even a possibility. 

I told the recruiting officer I was looking for info, he told me to come here to this alleged information forum to ask questions, so I did. End story.
    TacticMan

--
    29 Sep 2010 02:33 PM
    Thank you Wep, ill give that a shot.

--definitely looks like ill find some answers there. Knew someone could point me in the right direction! Im moving over there, thank you thank you!
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    29 Sep 2010 06:14 PM
    Your degree field won't qualify you for any of our DCO programs. You are above the age limit for OCS. Your only possible option, if you are looking at becoming an officer, would be to look into SRDC (Reserve Officer). Other than that, you don't have options.

As far as the tickle fight goes...

The comment was made that for more specific infomation, you would need to talk to a recruiter. That is because the website (www.gocoastguard.com), will only give you about one paragraph's worth of information. Once you read the info, you will have to get with a recruiter again to start the process.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    cags

--
    05 Nov 2010 02:55 PM
    Tactic..hopefully you have not been discouraged..try this link for info..OCS age limit is 34..good luck..ignore all negative feedback & just go FOR IT !!!!

http://www.uscga.edu/LDC_display.aspx?id=648
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    05 Nov 2010 04:08 PM
    Cags,

Temporary commissions are for prior enlisted CG members, Reserve commissions are for civilians who want to attend OCS. According to the Recruiting Manual the age limit for OCS is 27 for non-prior service. As always, I don't have the book here, so someone please correct me if I am misinformed.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement