Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Tattoos as an Officer
Last Post 06 Oct 2010 08:07 PM by mikebill3187. 19 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
HeathN

--
03 Oct 2010 08:57 AM
    I talked with a recruiter the other day, and he basically said despite the new tattoo policy for the CG, he doesn't believe I would have a fighting chance joining as an officer with a full sleeve of tattoos.

Anyone care to shed some light on this topic or share what you know?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    03 Oct 2010 11:53 AM
    There are a lot of equally qualified people competing for a very few openings, which means that the people doing the selecting can and will use any (legal) reason to decide between potential applicants. Officers are supposed to present a professional appearance, so tattoos would be a negative.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Oct 2010 03:17 PM
    There is nothing wrong with a sleeve of tats. However, officers are expected to look more professional. They might be frowned on and cause you some problems with the selection board. Appearance does matter even in the enlisted world. That is why we always suggest to people when they are going to meet their recruiter dress business casual to business professional and treat this absolutely like a job interview. If you show up in swim shorts, flip flops and a tshirt they might think you just got lost looking for the beach party. Officers, same thing. Someone can view the tats in a bad way.

All that said, it doesn't mean you shouldn't try. If you have the education, the desire, the drive, the requirements the CG is looking for, you never know what the selection board might think. The answer will always be no if you don't ask the question. Keep in mind the selection process for people off the street (not active duty enlisted CG) is very, very slim. The Guard prefers to promote from wtihin.

Best of luck,
    Macie
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    03 Oct 2010 03:59 PM
    Curious what your tattoos are of. I stopped and thought about all the officers i see walking around base and none have tattoos.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    03 Oct 2010 04:48 PM
    none have tattoos

That you can see....
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    04 Oct 2010 07:42 AM
    I have visible tattoos, therefore I am very unprofessional... ;-)
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Oct 2010 07:44 AM
    I just said they are expected to LOOK more professional... God knows some of them don't act more professional! Again, my theory is I don't care if the bearded lady from the circus is flying the helo, if I'm drowning I don't care who shows up to rescue me, just so long as someone does!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    04 Oct 2010 08:57 AM
    true gears, I was just going off visible tattoos. Lots of guys don't have visible tattoos but when they pulled off the shirts for swim call I thought I was at an art gallery.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    04 Oct 2010 09:17 AM
    E,

It begs the question, do I really wanna look like a prior service Hell's Angel or an SK, or would I rather look like a former member of the Yakuza...
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Oct 2010 09:33 AM
    Colin is up to 4 tat's... 2 nautical stars, his first guitar & the Washignton Caps logo. He is getting his swallows next and then after A school we are getting matching tats of the OS rating badge and CG insignia. If his father would agree to a tat I said I would get the MST rating badge as well. Dad not only said NO, he said HELL NO! LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    04 Oct 2010 01:30 PM
    I prefer to keep my body tattoo free, one for prior employment, two i spend way to much money in photography to afford a good tattoo if i was going to get one, and three, john mayor my body is a wonderland lol.

Macie when did Colin decide OS?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Oct 2010 02:13 PM
    Pretty much before he enlisted he wanted OS. He does not believe in boot to A school & to be sure, he wanted to check some other avenues before committing to something. He still loves deck work and wrestles with BM but he knows OS is where he will have the greatest career satisfaction.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    uberchris

--
    04 Oct 2010 05:59 PM
    gosh, just about a quarter of my lower forearm, my bicep , and my tricep are now tattooed, so at this point, i am going to go all the way and finish the sleeve. then ill start worrying about what to do with the other arm............oh well, ill never be able to get a job as a high end executive, nor do i plan to........ =)

colin is gonna get stoked on the a school OS bonus.........
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Oct 2010 08:31 PM
    I don't know if OS still has a bonus or not. If it does he'll turn it into tattoos and making dinner for his girlfriend. HAHA He keeps trying all different sorts of recipes and his girlfriend is the guinea pig. But they both seem to enjoy it.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    04 Oct 2010 11:24 PM
    I need to find a roommate who is going FS. I keep eating frito boats, burritos, tacos, boxed pizzas, lean pockets lol.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    05 Oct 2010 05:21 AM
    E,

Go find a Rachel Ray cook book. That woman is pure evil, but for the price of your soul you can make some damn good food in 30 min.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    newms

--
    05 Oct 2010 05:30 AM
    ...I got the Rachel Ray cookbook tattoo'd on my back...
    newms! PATFORSWA
    mikebill3187

--
    06 Oct 2010 12:35 PM
    I have a half tribal sleeve from my trapezius muscle to my elbow. I wonder how they would look at that, oh and 5 other tattoos which are smaller but none would be visible in a uniform.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    06 Oct 2010 03:15 PM
    I assume everyone knows before they get a tattoo, at least a visible one, that there are certain fields they will never work in, jobs they won't get, people that won't hire them, etc., etc., etc.
    mikebill3187

--
    06 Oct 2010 08:07 PM
    When I talked to the Marines they saw it and said it wouldnt fly with them. But I neglected to mention any possible waiver. Its not an offensive tattoo, I just hope they dont fail me for it.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement