Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Still Hanging On
Last Post 10 Oct 2010 10:33 AM by uberchris. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
ambientemmissions

--
08 Oct 2010 01:05 PM

Hey, everyone. I just wanted to take this opportunity to update you all on my situation. I know it's been a while. A lot has happened since I last posted. I'm still determined to get into the Coast Guard to become a rescue swimmer. I thought I was going to be able to get everything squared away by the end of this year, but then my financial aid for college suddenly got pulled one week before classes began and I was left with paying for my tuiton out of pocket. I wasn't able to get financial support from my family as they are broke themselves and I definitely couldn't afford to pay for all of the classes on my own, so I had to drop two of the four classes I had registered for this semester. This means I will have to attend college in the Spring and won't have my 15 college credits until May of next year. This financial obligation also forced me to postpone paying on my debt until this upcoming December.
       I dreaded calling my recruiter to update him. I feared the worst. I plainly asked him when I called, "Should I just give up?" He told me not to and that I had plenty of time to get in. I was under the impression that once I turned 27 this November that I would be passed the age cutoff and that they were "pulling strings" to get me in at the start of next year, but apparently I have until the day before my 28th birthday next year to ship to boot camp. I was relieved, but also surprised. I know i'm a headache for my recruiter. I have to be the most problematic candidate he has, yet he's still supportive of me. He later told me he's on his way out of the service. Apparently, the Coast Guard has gone from asking people to leave to forcing them to? He told me they'e getting rid of the old folk to pave the way for younger guys like me and that since he's leaving in May of next year, he will likely be unable to see me all the way into the service now that it will take me a bit longer to get all of my college credits.
       Also, I may be facing homelessness at the start of next year due to all of the financial burden i'm carrying. I simply don't make enough to pay for a place to live as well as fund for everything else on what I make. It's not really going to be as bad as it sounds. I'll be in school and at work most of the time. When i'm not there i'll be studying somewhere, either at school, a bookstore or the library. I also have a gym membership to keep in shape and shower.
       I'm doing all of this because that's how much I want to get in. When I saw my recruiter the other day, he told me, "Don't worry, we'll find a way to get you in." I told him, "I won't give up until you all tell me I have to leave or you'll call the law on me." He laughed.
       The girl I went to MEPS with appears to have given up already sadly. She was so passionate about it. She told me it was her dream, but the last time I talked to her she said she was frustrated and about to forget about the Coast Guard because it was too difficult to get a hold of our recruiter and that the last time she'd talk to him, like me, he told her she'd have to do something about her debt. I told her to be vigilant. I gave her some options and told her what I suggested, because she didn't know what to do. Unfortunately, I haven't heard from her since. I know I should be more focused on myself, but we were like a team. We were the only two people at MEPS for the Coast Guard and it was nice sharing the same aspirations as someone else. I really wanted to see us both succeed and maybe one day serve together.
       Anyway, i'm currently doing well in school. I'm an A student. I'm also doing well in the gym. I actually met a girl yesterday at the pool who i'm going to start training with. I've taken my recruiters advice as well and avoided hitting the heavy weights too often. I've been focusing on improving my endurance. I have lost 20 lbs. since I started this endeavor of trying to get into the Coast Guard and the other day, somehow I managed to run 5 miles on the treadmill. I have never done that in my life. I'm in better shape now than i've ever been. So, that's where I stand. As always, questions, comments and suggestions are welcome. I hope you all are doing well.

William

Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    08 Oct 2010 01:11 PM
    Good to hear from you William...stay focused and you shall achieve your dreams!

What two classes do you still need and is it too late to get in them this semester?
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    m15airof

--
    08 Oct 2010 02:02 PM
    Amazing story, I'll probably never understand what it's like going through all that; I certainly admire your determination, and know you will do fine!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    uberchris

--
    10 Oct 2010 10:33 AM
    yo man, keep that fight in you. i have dealt with exactly what you have, including sleeping and showering in places that were not "home" while trying to manage a 50k student loan debt. if you just keep your sights on the goal you are trying to achieve, and dont worry so much about what is happening right now, you are going to be one proud coastie when you get in. i wish you luck and just hang in there buddy
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement