Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Military Wives & Master's degrees--Like Oil & Water?
Last Post 21 Nov 2010 08:43 AM by husband. 23 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
Topic is locked
Author Messages
coastiewifekm

--
21 Oct 2010 08:03 AM
    Hi,

My husband is a new member of the USCG and is shipping for bootcamp very soon. I recently started a Master's program in the city where we currently live (I started before he was accepted into the CG--timing worked out very poorly). When my husband's basic training is over he will inevitably be required to move. I feel a sense of obligation to put my aspirations on hold and move with him even though it would mean abandoning my educational investment. I'm wondering if anyone else has ever been faced with this sort of dilemma and if so, have you been able to eventually get your degree?

Thanks
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    21 Oct 2010 08:20 AM
    If your school offers the Master's Program on line why bother quitting?
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    coastiewifekm

--
    21 Oct 2010 08:29 AM

Well if they offered my program online...then I wouldn't have to quit so obviously they don't....

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    21 Oct 2010 11:06 AM
    Obviously you have a knack or sarcasm, and a complete lack of tact. Good luck.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    21 Oct 2010 02:46 PM
    You could try to find a similar Master's program that would accept all or part of your class credits. Even if they don't accept any of your existing credits, continuing your schooling may be better than putting your plans on hold and being unhappy about it. Also, don't automatically dismiss the idea of finishing your degree. Living apart for a while is not easy but sometimes it's the best thing to do.

Look at all the options, decide what is best for y'all and then don't look back.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    17 Nov 2010 07:54 PM
    looks like someone pushed a few wrong buttons
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    18 Nov 2010 07:30 AM
    Well Gears' initial response is very easy to read as condescending, particularly the "why bother quitting?" part. I don't particularly think it warranted the sarcasm, but wasn't completely off-base either. In essence I believe if the option for online programs were available she would have mentioned it. If Gears had asked "Does your school offer an online program?" The tone would have been completely different.

THAT SAID, I agree with wepprop here. Depending on how close you are, a master's is a very powerful thing. If you're particularly close, I'd stick around for awhile. If you're just starting, find out where he'll be stationed and look at schools that have a similar program. Credits don't always 100% transfer, but you should be able to transfer some of your progress at very least.
    USCG STA PASCAGOULA
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    18 Nov 2010 07:37 AM
    Condescending, huh? To me it reads like a legitimate question.

Chaining yourself to a single school or resource to achieve a goal can be self-defeating. To quote the Zombie Mick Jagger, "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you can get what you need."
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    18 Nov 2010 08:00 AM
    I know what you MEANT to say, it's a matter of this being text based and inflection being absent.

I read your post and immediately stopped and re-read the original post wondering if she had even mentioned online schooling. The way your post reads to me is "If there's an online program offered, you'd be stupid not to do that." No, it's not what you said, but people who don't know you or your personality, in a text based setting, are GOING to make mistakes in reading what you said and what you meant.

In much the same way you meant nothing by it, I could read her response is nothing more than stating a fact, completely devoid of sarcasm. That's the major flaw (and magic) in text.

My time here has been very brief thus far and I've already seen multiple posts where someone asks a question and the vets of the forums respond in a way that is borderline insulting. Now my parents were both Navy and I grew up in an Air Force town, I understand the general military humor, but this forum is supposed to be for new people to come ask questions and express concerns to people who have the experience. They may not (and are often not) used to it.
    /soapbox
    USCG STA PASCAGOULA
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    18 Nov 2010 08:32 AM
    "If there's an online program offered, you'd be stupid not to do that."

That's pretty much where I stand. Thanks for clarifying that.

People on this site are interested in joining the military. The military, esp the CG, is not what you see in movies. If people are so thin-skinned they get upset and reach for the tissue at every sarcastic remark perhaps they should look for a new path. This board is tame compared to some of the conversations I've had on messdecks and galleys. For all the joking, sarcasm, back biting, etc we forum vets have cleared up rumors, falsehoods, clarified policy, and provided information to those who've asked for it on our own time. I'd love to see a show of hands the number of people who've been assisted on this board. I'm sure it far outweighs those who were offended.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    18 Nov 2010 08:37 AM
    Aye, that's all very true. But that said, you also have to expect it when people bite back.
    USCG STA PASCAGOULA
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    18 Nov 2010 08:44 AM
    Please, I'm the quintessential whipping boy for Wep and Pepper. My skin is so thick and calloused nothing bothers me.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Nov 2010 09:57 AM
    As a military wife, albeit former, I have to say there were times when I first started out I was offended at tone and words, spoken, not even written. But then it occured to me... people are just blunt! And as far as Gears original comment, it is a very good possibility that the OP had never even considered an online program. If you look through questions about colleges and opportunities many of our posters, newbies & veterans alike, aren't sure of the availability of online programs and the value of them. Some people are still under the thought of online degree = half assed. Maybe at one time, when it all first began, that was a fair assesment. However, as time has gone on, programs developed, higher level educational establishments jumping in the ring for online classes... people don't know if you went to Harvard brick & mortar or Harvard on line, either way its a degree from Harvard.

Reading through this originally... I thought HER comment was far more rude. Gears made a viable suggestion, she was the one that threw it back in his face. I'm not saying Gears is a sweet lovable cuddle bear... he is an old salt Coastie. Maybe he could temper his responses, but why should he?? He gives good, sound, honest answers... He adds a lot to this forum both informationally and for fun. So do the many other veterans of this board. I also believe we try to answer with honesty first then we let ourselves get silly and maybe even abrasive.

Ok, now I'm off my soapbox!
    Macie
    USCGC Midgett
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    18 Nov 2010 12:04 PM
    Posted By Gears on 18 Nov 2010 09:44 AM
    Please, I'm the quintessential whipping boy for Wep and Pepper. My skin is so thick and calloused nothing bothers me.

"Thank you sir, can I have another"

whipping stick
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    18 Nov 2010 03:33 PM
    this is why i usually stay out of any threads that arent posted in the general section to begin with.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    18 Nov 2010 06:31 PM
    Southern, I think you should engage in more threads. I for one enjoy your candor (dig the use of an uncommon word, these college classes are paying off!)
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    18 Nov 2010 07:06 PM
    glad school is paying off for you. i will try to get in a few more to make everyone happy.

i just get tired of listening to people complain over things that everyone on here that is active or been married to an active member has dealt with and knows it is completely possible to get through.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    19 Nov 2010 05:32 AM
    I agree my friend. The sense of entitlement runs strong with this generation. I blame the information super highway.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    19 Nov 2010 05:42 AM
    dont get me wrong you should have some entitlements but you also have to pay your dues to get them. i still hate the idea of someone going from boot to A school. there is no leadership skills provided to you that you dont learn better as being a non rate. The other problem i have is most of the people (i thnk) are younger kids that dont understand the value of a good days work. I can tell you right now almost everyone in my a school class has worked some long days and had to work extra days just becuase something went wrong and still wouldnt complain about it. you get a 18 year old kid that thinks he is entiled to be off at 1530 everyday and doesnt care if the work is done is my biggest problem
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    19 Nov 2010 06:39 AM
    Amen!!
    USCGC Midgett
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    19 Nov 2010 08:18 AM
    Of course there are entitlements, I'm not doing this for free. Graduating from boot camp or being a spouse/girlfriend etc and being pissed at the CG for not rotating around your wants/needs is ridiculous. That's where I have a problem. In my experience the CG has given me everything I've ever asked for and more. Hell, sometimes I didn't know I wanted it until it was dumped in my lap. Good, bad, or ugly no matter the situation people need to learn to adapt, overcome, and take advantage of the situation they find themselves in...

Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    19 Nov 2010 08:26 AM
    SEMPER GUMPIE.

if you cant be it dont join or be married to a member that is.

GymRat

--
    20 Nov 2010 07:19 PM
    Maybe we should take a step back and not assume everyone is trying to pull a fast one over the Coast Guard, or that they are trying to tailor it to their needs? I love this board and the time I've spent here, but recently it's been more common to see new/future Coasties get hounded for asking legitimate questions under the suspiscion that they're trying to get out of their duty. I know you guys have been here a while and are tired of seeing people post the same questions, etc., but it's creating an un-welcoming feel for the newbies.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    21 Nov 2010 08:43 AM
    this thread is useless so I thought I would spice it up with a baby elephant getting kicked

GTFO And Gears, there is one thing I learned about this site: Haters gonna hate
    Topic is locked

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement