Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
More Clearance/Sf-86 questions.
Last Post 02 Nov 2010 09:59 PM by GymRat. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
GymRat

--
31 Oct 2010 03:54 PM
    1. By doing the initial Sf-86 are you applying for the highest clearance possible? Or are you just given a basic/Secret clearance? IE If a rate requires a Top Secret clearance, will you then have to be reviewed again, or are you checked initially for the highest clearance.

2. How long is the average turnaround time right now to hear back about a completed sf-86?

3. Just out of curiosity, what happens to applicants who are denied a clearance?
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    31 Oct 2010 04:44 PM
    right now they are just checking for secret. Some units (I know 110s) you need to have a secret clearance. We had a guy who didn't have one and got transferred to a wmec
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    31 Oct 2010 05:29 PM
    I don't know the average turn around, but to be stationed on a PB or Small Boat Station you need to have a Secret Clearance. If not, like E said you get xfered.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    uberchris

--
    31 Oct 2010 06:34 PM
    a friend of mine in the army had a follow up investigation, including reference checks and interviews, screenings, and other super-thorough stuff for his top secret. too bad the moron (right before he left for his assignment) drank two bottles of wine and put himself and car through a tree. lost all of it and ended up back in the sandbox for the 4th time.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    newms

--
    31 Oct 2010 06:57 PM
    Photobucket

newms! PATFORSWA
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    01 Nov 2010 11:38 AM
    Why do 110's and stations require secret clearance whereas wmecs dont?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    01 Nov 2010 03:15 PM
    My completely uninformed guess would be that non-rates at small units are required to stand watches around classified equipment, while non-rates at larger units aren't allowed anywhere near such things.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    01 Nov 2010 03:57 PM
    +1 Wep
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Wisper7

--
    01 Nov 2010 05:23 PM
    Classified equipment? I know it's classified, but are these things like night vision binoculars or something?
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    01 Nov 2010 06:07 PM
    We could tell you but......
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    01 Nov 2010 08:12 PM
    I'll but in my "educated" opinion on this, since this is what i deal with everyday:

1. By doing the initial Sf-86 are you applying for the highest clearance possible? Or are you just given a basic/Secret clearance? IE If a rate requires a Top Secret clearance, will you then have to be reviewed again, or are you checked initially for the highest clearance.
        - You're only going to be granted the HIGHEST security clearance your job requires.  It's come to my attention that most non-rates out of boot camp are being granted a secret security clearance, but don't really need one for their job.  A non-rate needs a secret clearance at the following units:
    - 87' CPB's
    -110' WPB's
    - Stations
    -Special billets (Honor Guard comes to mind)

You are not going to be granted a Top Secret clearance for any reason, unless your job requires you to have one (most OS's don't even have TS unless they work in Radio of a WMEC, WHEC, or WSML).  They are only good for five years, then they are down-graded to a Secret clearance for three years, until you have to re-do your clearance package

2. How long is the average turnaround time right now to hear back about a completed sf-86?
       -  My secret clearance took about 3-4 weeks.

3. Just out of curiosity, what happens to applicants who are denied a clearance?

-  If your job requires you to have a clearance, and you are denied, you are transferred to a unit where you do not need a clearance

Hope this clears things up for you.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    01 Nov 2010 10:04 PM
    If we could discuss classified information, then it wouldn't be classified now would it? Don't worry about what information/equipment is classified, once you're in you'll be given training on how to handle classified information.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 Nov 2010 09:30 AM
    I sincerely doubt night vision binoculars require a clearance of any sort. Since I can purchase them at Cabela's, something tells me that is just equipment you are taught to use. Unless there is something special fancy I don't know about and if there is, I still won't know about it. But you know what, it has no bearing what so ever on my life, so I'll just move on from here. :-)
    USCGC Midgett
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Wisper7

--
    02 Nov 2010 09:41 AM
    k, just curious. Sometimes classified means you can say what it is, just not anything about how it is or other specifications (at least with my dad's work designing radios). Guess I'll just have to wait and see.
    GymRat

--
    02 Nov 2010 09:59 PM
    Thanks for all of the responses.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement