Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Got the call of a LIFETIME!
Last Post 16 Nov 2010 06:37 AM by GymRat. 22 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
GymRat

--
02 Nov 2010 11:26 PM
    Well, it's the call of MY lifetime so far! Started the recruitment process in Feb (2010) and I was told from the getgo to expect a 18 month wait to enlist. My recruiter had me do everything except the sf-86, and I've just been waiting enjoying being a new husband and father. October came and although I hoped by a miracle I could fit in the FY 2011 recruiting class, my recruiter informed me his office had already met his mission. Okay, cool, I have to wait another year but it will be worth it! Then last week I got an unexpected call from him...

He informed me that the Coast Guard had let too many service members out during voluntary separation, and now is opening more spots to compensate. He asked if I had anything keeping me from going to basic THIS DECEMBER OR JANUARY!! I of course said I could go, he put in my request for January 4th, and called me today to tell me to mark my calender for the 4th because that's when I'll be at Cape May!

I cannot express how happy I am. I owe it all to this forum, if it wasn't for all of the information here I wouldn't have made the best decision of my life. I love what this service is about and who serves it and I can't wait to be a part of it!

pmriley

--
    02 Nov 2010 11:31 PM
    Congrats!! My dtr. leaves for Cape May on Jan. 11
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    02 Nov 2010 11:48 PM
    Way Awesome! Excited for you!!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    03 Nov 2010 06:47 AM
    Congrats dude!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Nov 2010 08:17 AM
    That is such incredible news!!! Congratulations!!! Enjoy your Christmas wit your baby and then start the new year with a new life for all of you! Between now & ten if you need anything, we'll be here to help however we can!!!

Macie
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CablesMom

--
    03 Nov 2010 10:16 AM
    I love hearing about these young people getting so excited to serve their country! If I was 20 years younger I'd do things differently. Not that I regret how my life has turned out. I don't. But that I had no idea of what 'patriotism' was/meant back then. I'm so excited that my son decided to servie his country through an amazing service. And I coundn't have supported him to the degree I have without the help of this board. OldGuard, thanks so much for all the advice and encouragement you give to the new recruits and their families.

GymRat, congratulations on your marriage and becoming a father. You have so much to look forward to and I'm honored that you have chosen to serve the people of the United States. Best wishes to you, your wife and in your career!
    Proud Coastie Mom
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Wisper7

--
    03 Nov 2010 02:57 PM
    Nice job! I know how you feel, had the same surprise happen to me (although yours is a bit more extreme)! Start studying those 11 orders And get ready to explain again and again why and when you are leaving so suddenly.
    GymRat

--
    03 Nov 2010 05:04 PM
    Thanks everyone for all of the congratulations!

pmriley- That's great to hear for your daughter, when did she start the process?

captkyguy- Thanks, I'm pumped! Maybe I'll get one of those infamous capt'n bootcamp letters?

CaptNick- Congrats to you as well, I've been somewhat following your story on here. Maybe I'll see you Jan 18th'ers arriving.

Old Guard- A huge thanks to you. Your experience, wisdom, and fondness of the Coast Guard has assured me I'm making the right decision for my family and I.

Cable'sMom- Thank you, that means a lot to me and I'm sure any other potential recruit!

Wisper- I am about to start studying the orders, ranks, and also the helmsman. Have you downloaded it (helmsman) yet?

Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    03 Nov 2010 09:56 PM
    I would be honored to send you some, as you say, "infamous capt'n boot camp letters"...although just letters from a crazy old fire captain...lol...just PM me your name and they will be in the mail as soon as they post your company and hall...

I have sent dozens and dozens of Coast Guard letters, several Air Force and currently sending my first Army letters...just need Navy and Marines and I will have completed the cycle.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    04 Nov 2010 09:23 AM
    Yea you'll probably see us 18er's around. We'll be the newbies till the next class arrives!
    bchristina1221

--
    04 Nov 2010 09:30 PM
    January 4th? I'll be with ya Sir!! I'm anxious beyond belief
    GymRat

--
    04 Nov 2010 11:59 PM
    Captkyguy, I will most definately be the honored one! PM sent!

bchristina, is that anxious in a good way? If they would let me go tomorrow I would!
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    05 Nov 2010 07:01 AM
    You are in my calendar GymRat...
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Wisper7

--
    05 Nov 2010 12:55 PM
    I couldn't find it on the internet when I looked a long time ago, but my recruiter emailed it to me. I also was given a hard copy at MEPS. I've memorized the orders, just not which numbers go with which order lol
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Nov 2010 02:40 PM
    Wisper, you better start studying the numbers as well. They don't ask "Give me the one that starts out with ______" They want to know order number 10, number 2, number 8...
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Wisper7

--
    05 Nov 2010 05:59 PM
    Well, I shoudln't say I don't know them, I just have to think about it for a while--which I guess is not any better really. I'm working on it though
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    05 Nov 2010 10:25 PM
    Wisper...WHAT IS GENERAL ORDER NUMBER 3...QUICKLY, DO NOT THINK ABOUT IT, YELL IT OUT RIGHT NOW! HIT THE DECK AND SCREAM OUT GENERAL ORDER NUMBER 11 AND DO NOT STOP UNTIL YOU HAVE SAID IT CORRECTLY! HURRY UP LET'S GO!

I'll help you out a little...LOL

Seriously say them out loud in your sounding off voice during your workouts and punish yourself by not allowing yourself to stop the exercise until you say it correctly...even if you are at that final push-up or whatever it is do not go to the rest position until you have worked through the general order correctly! SammyT was working out with us one day at the fire academy before his ship date last fall and the group was doing jumping jacks when I went drill instructor on him and screamed out to Sammy that I wanted to hear General Order number 3, 5 and 11 and the group could not stop until I heard them...he froze under the pressure and they did jumping jacks for a very long time...oh boy I can still hear the moans and groans...but it helped him in the end so a good practice tool.
    Ozzy451

--
    05 Nov 2010 11:04 PM
    Im leaving the 30th of November and i couldnt be happier! congrats, i will be leaving basic right when your entering. Good luck with your career!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Wisper7

--
    05 Nov 2010 11:23 PM
    That's a good idea, captkyguy. I'll have to try that out.

but who's Sammy?
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    05 Nov 2010 11:44 PM
    Sammy T is a coastie that shipped out last fall from the Dallas area...I invited him to come work out with us at the fire academy in preparation for boot camp...we discovered we new each other, his dad was a private baseball instructor for my son...he is currently on the A-school list for AST stationed in San Juan, Puerto Rico on the USCGC Matinicus...great young man.

Good idea...it is a GREAT idea...
    sjd22

--
    15 Nov 2010 01:04 PM
    See you on the 4th, also. I got the same phone call.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    15 Nov 2010 01:40 PM
    That's awesome sjd!
    GymRat

--
    16 Nov 2010 06:37 AM
    Yes, congrats! See you in 7 weeks!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement