Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
What to do?
Last Post 09 Nov 2010 01:09 PM by Old Guard2. 15 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Sierra

--
04 Nov 2010 06:23 PM
    I've always wanted to join the military my whole life. This hasn't changed on bit throughout my life. I'm 18 right now and am attending a community college. I'll have around 45 credits when the spring semester is over with. I've always wanted to be a fighter pilot, but I've heard from numerous places that the Air Force is not even letting academy grads go to pilot training right now. If they can't get in who can? I still really want to be a pilot, but I'm tired of going to school. I want to get my associates degree and then join the military as enlisted. After a couple of years, I can have my full bachelors degree completed and apply for ocs. Right now the other services are so confused and backwards and I don't know what to do. I don't know, is anyone in the same place? Any suggestions? Do you think this would be a good choice or what? If I join the CG I can still be a military pilot. I have also heard that the CG has more flying than the Air Force. Is this true? If you can help I'd appreciate it!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Wisper7

--
    05 Nov 2010 01:16 PM
    Well, you should probably talk to an Airforce recruiter about that before you totally give up on the idea of the airforce. Is it going to be any longer of a wait than the possible 1+ years to get into the CG?

However, I don't see why you shouldn't join the CG either

This is really a choice you are going to have to make for yourself. Do you want to potentially fly in combat situations, or in SAR situations? If the Air Force is not accepting any pilots, do you want to wait for them to start accepting, or enlist in the CG where you don't know for sure if you will get in to OCS.? Do you like boats? These are of course hard decisions, but both branches offer different kinds of opportunities and are equally potential. My vote goes to the CG, but it's a bit biased.
    Sierra

--
    07 Nov 2010 06:17 PM

Yeah, I know it's my decision but I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem. I know a guy who was in the air force for 10 years as enlisted and was set on becoming a fighter pilot. He had to go to the army to get a slot and even had to go with helos. It's crazy how all the services are in a job freeze right now.  

So, are you in the CG right now? If you are, what's your job like? Is it good for someone who wants a family someday? Deployments?

And yes, I do like boats, but I'm from Kansas.  On the plus side, I love going to the ocean!

Honestly it would be pretty sweet to be a rescue swimmer, but realistically I'd be better as a mechanic. The problem with the air force is that I want to be an flight mechanic or flight engineer to get some experience. In the af you already have to have been a mechanic or pilot. The coast guard doesn't make you do this, that's why I'm really interested.

Ohh, and I want them to pick up my college tuition while they're at it!

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Wisper7

--
    07 Nov 2010 08:06 PM
    No, I'm not in yet. Couple more months...lol

But I know that the CG certainly gives many more opportunities to do what you want than any other branch. From people I know who have gone to other services, they often end up doing something they didn't quite predict, especially because they signed up for it before they were even in. If you want options, the CG is definitely the answer.

As for family, it is not likely you will be sent across the world unless you wish it, so i guess it is better for families than say the marines 

Actual coasties can fill you in on the job--but basically it's a lot of work.
    Sierra

--
    07 Nov 2010 08:42 PM

Nothing wrong with a hard days work! Thanks for your help and good luck!

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    08 Nov 2010 06:29 AM
    As for family, it is not likely you will be sent across the world unless you wish it, so i guess it is better for families than say the marines

We are the military. We are a sea going service. We deploy worldwide. So it is likely you will be sent across the world whether you like it or not. But, that largely depends on where you're stationed.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Sierra

--
    08 Nov 2010 07:02 AM

So if you do get depoloyed would it kind of be like the navy? You know, like 6 months cruise, stops at ports? I realize your not in the navy.

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 Nov 2010 07:53 AM
    My son has been to Costa Rica, Panama, Dominican, Haiti, Cuba, Aruba and a handful of other places his cruises have never been more than 2 months. He is on a 270. He pulls into ports, he calls home, he has a blast and then he returns to Boston. 378's and other ships might be out longer, the Mohawk just returned from 4 months in Africa. One of the 378's circumnavigated the globe last year. It just depends... the short answer is basically, yes, you could be out for 6 months and yes, you do make port calls.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Wisper7

--
    08 Nov 2010 05:10 PM
    Sorry Gears, I didn't mean to say that we don't travel. I was referring to Iraq and Afghanistan, where Marines are there for a year, and a large majority of them at that.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    08 Nov 2010 07:06 PM
    i knwo for a fact we have teams in iraq and afghanistan in raid teams. I have a girl in my A school class right now that just came from patforswa.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Wisper7

--
    08 Nov 2010 10:10 PM
    But aren't they voluntary?
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    09 Nov 2010 08:21 AM
    what happens if people stop volunteering...do they just say sorry to the guys over their we can't relieve you yet. No, they'll look for quality qualified candidates to go. It's just so happens lots of Coasties are willing to go.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Nov 2010 08:22 AM
    Wisper, my ex just served about 7 months in Um Qasr, I can say that now because he has been moved to another location in Iraq. He will be there for a minimum of one year. There is always the possibility of an extension. Yes it was requested, repeatedly since the first Gulf War in 1991. However, there are BOATS that receive orders over. If you are stationed on that boat, guess what... off you go! Colin didn't decide he wanted to go to Panama for Thanksgiving last year, the CG told the Seneca it was going to Panama for Thanksgiving last year.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Wisper7

--
    09 Nov 2010 09:10 AM
    Oh,,,my recruiter said nothing of the boats how convenient lol.

Trusted Member
    E

--
    09 Nov 2010 12:34 PM
    I visited Puerto Rico for Thanksgiving lol.
    Macie I thought your ex was only doing a small tour? Does he keep getting extended in the sanbox?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Nov 2010 01:09 PM
    It was a one year tour. He started training in October, went to Ft Dix in November, got to go home to Juneau for Christmas, then left for the sandbox in January. He will be there until at least January... He said to me at one point he MIGHT get an extension. He is out of Um Qasr now and he is dealing with upper politicos in country. He did just have 2 weeks R&R in Spain so his wife & son (not Colin) flew over to enjoy the 2 weeks with him. Hopefully he'll be home on schedule.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement