Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
BAH and Barracks
Last Post 15 Nov 2010 03:02 PM by E. 22 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
New Guardian

--
07 Nov 2010 09:45 PM
    I'm not sure if I am mistaken or not, but (I believe) I was reading something that said some stations offer BHA to singles instead of having a barracks. Is that right or am I crazy? If that is true, is there any way of finding out which locations have this?
    Ship date: January 18, 2011
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Wisper7

--
    07 Nov 2010 10:29 PM
    Locations that do not have barracks or other provided housing will provide you with an allowance to rent apartment. Not sure if there's some way of seeing where those are, but frankly the information isn't really helpful, since you can't request specific station anyways (at least out of boot camp)
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    07 Nov 2010 10:30 PM
    It's called BAH not BHA.

I know you aren't trying to find this info out because you are afraid of getting underway, living on a boat, living in government housing, living in the barracks, have a girlfriend/boyfriend who wants to come along.

You'd have to go to the CG units page and sift through every unit page to find out which ones you live in BAH after you get qualified.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CablesMom

--
    07 Nov 2010 10:36 PM
    I'm just the mother of a coastie but I'll give you my best answer.... because I did my homework

It all depends on where you are stationed. No one really gets to pick their station (or at least the first one) and there are so many stations and all are unique in themselves. Some are on military bases, some are not. Some have barracks, some do not. Not sure if there is a list of which has what. If you are single and stationed at one that does not have barracks, you will live at the station, on a boat, or on the economy. If on the economy, you will receive BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing).

Anyone else have something to share/correct on this one?
    Proud Coastie Mom
    New Guardian

--
    08 Nov 2010 07:25 AM
    Posted By E on 07 Nov 2010 11:30 PM
    It's called BAH not BHA.

I know you aren't trying to find this info out because you are afraid of getting underway, living on a boat, living in government housing, living in the barracks, have a girlfriend/boyfriend who wants to come along.

You'd have to go to the CG units page and sift through every unit page to find out which ones you live in BAH after you get qualified.

Yeah that was a typo, and no I was just curious. My girlfriend will still be in Ohio for 2+ years regardless of where I go and I've done the dorm life. If I was afraid of living on a boat I wouldn't join the Coast Guard.

It seems odd that this site is all about asking questions and finding out info from people that have been there before...yet any time a question is asked there's 2-3 people to jump your s*** about something.
    New Guardian

--
    08 Nov 2010 07:26 AM
    Posted By Cable'sMom on 07 Nov 2010 11:36 PM
    I'm just the mother of a coastie but I'll give you my best answer.... because I did my homework

It all depends on where you are stationed. No one really gets to pick their station (or at least the first one) and there are so many stations and all are unique in themselves. Some are on military bases, some are not. Some have barracks, some do not. Not sure if there is a list of which has what. If you are single and stationed at one that does not have barracks, you will live at the station, on a boat, or on the economy. If on the economy, you will receive BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing).

Anyone else have something to share/correct on this one?
    Ok thank you! I'm just trying to understand all of this the best I can before I leave

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 Nov 2010 08:04 AM
    New guardian,

It isn't meant to seem like anyone is jumping on you. We get a lot of people on this forum that want to join the Coast Guard but want to find every possible way to avoid sea service. Seems kinda silly to me but a lot of people ask. Also, a lot of people INSIST they MUST have their girlfriend/boyfriend live with them. They don't want to marry them, oh no, that isn't an option but by golly they have to shack up and why can't the military just go along and pay for it. So it isn't jumping so much as it is we are just used to hearing all sorts of weird requests/demands!

So please don't take offense, just understand some of the veteran's of the board have heard every song & dance there is about what people want and why! E certainly never means to be offensive, he is a good guy with a lot of knowledge. We have all just heard I want the Guard but no boats. That's all.

Macie
    USCGC Midgett
    New Guardian

--
    08 Nov 2010 08:25 AM
    Thanks Marcie, and sorry for being aggitated E. It's been a very rough morning at work and while that's still no excuse, it just rubbed me the wrong way. And I bet it does get old hearing the same stuff from people that want this-and-that for ridiculous reasons, but I understand what the CG is all about and what will be expected of me.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    texascgmom

--
    08 Nov 2010 10:03 AM
    New Guardian - My son and his friend are staioned in Ohio and had two different living arrangements out of boot camp. My son stayed in goverment housing - which was an apatment complex between Cleveland and his staiton. Government paid the rent and he received a food allowance. His friend stationed in Cleveland was on BAH from the start and rented an apartment in the same complex. They've been there for approx. a year now. A couple of months ago my son was put on BAH and was able to go out and rent his own apartment. Him and his friend rented a two bedroom apartment in the same complex and are saving money. So it really depends on where you are stationed at for the housing. Every unit has their own way of doing things. It was confusing to me why one station would have government housing and another unit 30 miles away had a different policy, but they do and so you just have to go with it. Hope this helps.
    Proud Mom to SN Lueders - "Mom" to FN Coover - Soon to be AET's
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    08 Nov 2010 10:33 AM
    New Guardian, I didn't mean to offend or try to sink anyone's boat, its just usually the same story every time. I wore my CG shirt to the gym and had a guy ask about getting in, but he wanted to stay in GA, not go to sea, and live in an apartment because he has a girlfriend. People also think that "barracks" means what they see in jarhead or full metal jacket.

I used to be the guy who only wanted a station in CA where I could get BAH and go home every other weekend when I am not on duty.
    Every unit is going to have their own policy, if you are in a group like Key West, the station non rates live in barracks, go up 60 miles to Station Marathon, they get BAH. I think the new way the dream sheets in boot camp are you just request district, when I went through I could request districts, specific units, or type of unit.

I just want to give an open honest opinion about what to expect, no sugar because I wouldn't want to get something sugar coated. We're on the forum to help potential Coasties get the answers and guidance they need. I'm a nice guy I promise lol.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Wisper7

--
    08 Nov 2010 03:27 PM
    CA is all BAH? Or is that how it used to be.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    08 Nov 2010 03:36 PM
    no it just depends on where you are. Dont take offense to E but if i am harsh you can take offensive becuase i am just tired of hearing the same thing over and over with people not wanting to get underway. Dont get me wrong i havent been underway but i have spent a lot of time away from my family since i have been married.

macie i will be pm you later if you dont mind
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 Nov 2010 05:41 PM
    Southern, anytime at all. You never need to ask!
    USCGC Midgett
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    08 Nov 2010 08:51 PM
    New Guardian if that set you off just wait until you are in...Try to remember that the written word is hard to get the full meaning and understanding of the authors intended meaning...you can not see the facial expressions, the body language or the tone of voice…so try to take that into account when you read a “harsh” post…we will be harsh when we need to be, but it is all in helping new wannabe recruits to start adapting to the extreme harshness they will face during boot camp and I am sure as a E3 in the fleet...be able to laugh at yourself, let things roll off your back and have fun.

E is one of the nicest guys on the forum...
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    New Guardian

--
    10 Nov 2010 11:58 AM
    Yeah I didn't really mean to get frustrated. I believe that everyone on here is a good person and not trying to offend. E's a cool guy and always has helpful info...I guess that just caught me the wrong way at the wrong time. But anyway, its not that I don't want to go underway or I'm afraid to be away for long periods of time or whatever...it's just joining the CG is by far the biggest change in lifestyle I've ever made and I'm just trying to go into it knowing as much as possible. So really, most questions I ask on here are simple FYI (FMI?) kinda stuff.

And captkyguy, yeah, I actually thought about what you said after I posted what I did. I thought, "Now everyone's going to think the slightest comment upsets me." That isn't true. I can take a criticism as well as anyone. And I know that in 2 months I'm going to get more criticism than I've ever got in my life and I'll be fine. I'm not a fly-off-the-handle person in the slightest bit
    Mr.Magic

--
    13 Nov 2010 11:17 AM
    If you get a station that has government housing, not BAH, will you have a roomate or will you be living alone?

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    13 Nov 2010 11:40 AM
    Posted By Mr.Magic on 13 Nov 2010 12:17 PM
    If you get a station that has government housing, not BAH, will you have a roomate or will you be living alone?

Yes.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    13 Nov 2010 12:35 PM
    my roommate is off the 270, if whoever is running it(usually an FS) is cool they'll try to hook roommates up. I live with a guy off the 270. Last time I saw him was June. So basically I live alone, which is what I prefer. Others prefer to have a roommate so they can have arts and crafts time.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    13 Nov 2010 01:20 PM
    Well put, E. I like where your heads at.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    friescali

--
    14 Nov 2010 08:18 PM
    so will you be able to choose a roommate? or will you get one assigned to you
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    14 Nov 2010 09:47 PM
    Posted By friescali on 14 Nov 2010 09:18 PM
    so will you be able to choose a roommate? or will you get one assigned to you

Absolutely.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    15 Nov 2010 01:55 PM
    you are usually assigned a roomate. The option might be there to swap roomates at a certain time but no guarntees
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    15 Nov 2010 03:02 PM
    ^what he said. I had the chance to pick what boat my roommate was from, but didnt know who it was.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement