Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
OCS Application (Recommendations)
Last Post 16 Nov 2010 05:15 AM by Eoghan Roe. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Eoghan Roe

--
09 Nov 2010 08:43 AM
    I'm trying to get everything started with my OCS packet while I'm waiting on my ship date. I've been through the Officer Application for the Air Force, which they told me I met the requirements but did not select me. I've done a lot of thinking on the matter and it's part of why I decided on the Coast Guard.

Basically I have a Bachelor's Degree, albeit in English, made a 1300 on my SAT (The 1600 scale), and when my last score on the ASVAB was a 96. All that and the fact that I'm already going enlisted regardless has me very hopeful...

..but, I want to make sure my packet is perfect. My biggest concern is the recommendations. Are there any suggestions for who I should ask? What looks best? Teachers? Other military personnel? What if they are family (i.e. aunts/uncles/cousins)?

I've also looked for some sort of example format on gocoastguard.com. Is there a particular format that is suggested?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    09 Nov 2010 11:22 AM
    Well I only just submitted my package (wont know if Im selected until june or so) but I'll share my experience. Your best bet is to get as many letters as possible and let your recruiters choose the best ones. I gave mine 7, and he picked out the best 3.

First off, you cannot use family members. Second, they can be from ANYONE that knows you and can vouch for your character and/or experience. What I did, was choose the most respectable people that I know to write a letter for me. Im sure your best friend would write nice things, but it may not have a better effect on the panel than lets say a Police Chief or the CEO of a large company. Of course you may not know people like this, but try to pick people that the panel will say "I value this person's opinion".

If you would like to know who I had write letters, send me a PM.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    15 Nov 2010 08:58 AM
    Thank you for the info. I'll see what I can find. I have a few retired/active military family friends and neighbors, one of the perks of growing up in a military town.

I'm still curious about the format though. The Air Force packet I did, had a recommendation template. I'm not sure if the coast guard has a different format they are looking for or if I could essentially re-use that.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    15 Nov 2010 06:13 PM
    There really isn't a specific format. It just needs to be addressed "Dear Coast Guard OCS Panel,"
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    16 Nov 2010 05:15 AM
    Thanks. That's what I was hoping for actually. I found that even with the template in front of them, some of the people I had recommendations from before still didn't follow the format. So it's good to know there is a little leniency there.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement