Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Does this increase my chances?
Last Post 12 Nov 2010 12:34 PM by blackout. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
blackout

--
09 Nov 2010 09:31 AM
    Hey guys, currently I am planing ahead and trying to see if what I can do could increase my chances of getting selected for Blue21 or OCS as a second option.

This is what I have so far...
    2009: Got my Rotorcraft-Helicopter Commercial Pilot license
    2010: Became a US citizen and got my AA in Information Technology

My plan is to..

in summer 2011 will be getting my Certified Flight Instructor License and start accumulating flight hours giving flight instruction.

in  summer 2012, to be graduating with a BAS in Information Technology. and apply to Blue21 or OCS.

is this a good plan? is there something else I should or should not do? Thnx a lot!

Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    11 Nov 2010 06:30 PM
    Sounds like you are on the right path! Get with a local recruiter for more in depth information.

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    12 Nov 2010 05:11 AM
    I will tell you that just becuase you have your license doesnt help to much. I know a guy that has had his and applied 3 times and put on the alternate list ever time. He joined active he is putting in his 4 OCS packet.

But good luck on your plan. The Blue21 is not an easy one to get picked up for
    chukles

--
    12 Nov 2010 05:50 AM
    Depending on the college attended, the license may make the difference between qualified or not for the blue 21 program.

ducation:
    To be eligible, applicants must have a minimum 2.5 GPA and meet one of the following degree requirements:

Have a degree in any aviation, aeronautical and aerospace program from a qualifying four-year institution (one with a 25 percent or greater minority population, not including international students.)
    Have a degree in any engineering-related program from a qualifying four-year institution.
    Have a degree in any computer-related program from a qualifying four-year institution.
    Have a degree in any technical or technology-related program from a qualifying four-year institution.
    Have an associate degree in an aviation, aeronautical or aerospace specific program from a junior community college accompanied by a baccalaureate degree in any major course of study from a qualifying four-year institution.
    Have a private pilot's license (or higher rating), in conjunction with a degree from a qualifying four-year institution.
    Additionally, applicants must meet minimum scores on one of the following standardized tests:
    SAT I -- Combined score of 1100 or greater
    ACT -- Composite score of 23 or greater
    ASVAB -- GT score of 109 (110 prior to July 1, 2004)

Aviation Selection Test Battery

The ASTB is an exam that tests your general knowledge in the areas of math, science, English and aviation. Applicants must receive a minimum academic qualification rating (AQR) of 4 and a pilot flight aptitude rating (PFAR) of 4 in order to qualify for BLUE 21.
    The ASTB is administered by the U.S. Navy and must be completed with a passing score prior to applying. This test may be scheduled through local Coast Guard recruiting offices.

Having the background you have will certainly help with the ASTB.

I wish you the best!
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    blackout

--
    12 Nov 2010 10:09 AM
    Thank you very much for your replies, somehow it has been impossible for me to get in touch with a recruiter, I have been to the office several times, but they dont want to talk to me. Once, a recruiter gave me his card, and told me to call him and leave a message to set up an appointment, I probably called him about twenty times over a period of three months...

I have emailed two different recruiting offices as well and no response...  all this happened probably six months ago...

I am never going to give up... but it sure is difficult to talk to a recruiter about a career in the CG.
    chukles

--
    12 Nov 2010 10:23 AM
    Blackout,

Which office are you trying to contact?
    blackout

--
    12 Nov 2010 12:34 PM
    I have been trying to contact primarily the office in Hollywood, FL. and I also emailed the Office in South Miami, FL.

Thank you very much for your help, Sir.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement