Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Civil Engineering career post CG Academy?
Last Post 11 Nov 2010 11:28 AM by wepprop. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
BirdieDad

--
09 Nov 2010 10:38 PM
    Hello CG Members,

First off, this is my first post and visit.  Greetings to all those that currently, or have in the past, served our nation in the CG capacity... thank you for your service.

I'm a parent with one child at the USAF Academy, with another thinking about attending either USAFA or USCG Academy.  This question is pointed mostly at the post-academy career of what my kid would like to eventually become: a Civil Engineer.  

I know that the opportunities are pretty extensive in the AF to actually do the job of a CE once commissioned, whereas with the CG, I'm very uneducated and in the dark about his options.  I am intimately familiar with the concept of "military needs first," but as stated, I'm mostly interested in determining the likelihood of him being able to do what he's interested in once he's completed the academy (big assumption, I know, but we've got to get answers before he's accepted...right?). 

He's good in school, great GPA, good (but not excellent...) standardized test scores, stellar HS involvement, athletic... blah, blah, blah (he's 18, HS senior, and very competitive, given his achievements, for the appointment at this stage in the game); if he applies, I'm pretty sure he stands a fair-good chance of getting in.

Q:  Assuming that he is accepted for the appointment, and completes CG Academy, what are the opportunities for him to actually work as a CE in the CG (vs. being on a ship based/type mission)? 

Any help or direction would be appreciated. 

Thanks...
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    10 Nov 2010 05:32 AM
    The CG has multiple CE positions around the Country so he as good of a chance as anyone to get those positions. With that said, as an officer, there is a great possibility that he will be working outside of that field as well for one or mulitiple tours.
    BirdieDad

--
    10 Nov 2010 04:13 PM
    Thanks for your reply, SARdaddy. 

In thinking about CG's mission, that makes sense; opportunitites for my son to be able to work within his degree program post academy are available, but as stated, given CG's mission intensive duty requirements, it's understandable (and to be expected) that he will most likely do the mission of the CG.  Again, thanks.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    10 Nov 2010 04:14 PM
    I spent some time with a 32EX AFSC. Not sure I know anything that's relevant today, but if there are any questions I could answer, I would be glad to.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    11 Nov 2010 06:08 AM
    wepprop, nothing against you as I am sure you know what you wrote but that sentence might as well have been klingon because I have no idea what it meant. What is a 32EX AFSC?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    11 Nov 2010 09:17 AM
    Sorry. 32EX is the current Air Force Specialty Code for a Civil Engineering officer. AFSC is the USAF equivalent of MOS.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    11 Nov 2010 11:11 AM
    We've always suspected that Wepp is a Klingon! This only confirms that suspicion! 

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    11 Nov 2010 11:28 AM
    Tera'nganbej neH jIH 'ach 'e' vIQIjlaH.

Anybody can learn Klingon.

Besides, Klingons have the best music.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement