Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
DEPOT Physical Training
Last Post 24 Apr 2018 09:27 PM by TombRaider330. 18 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ALJ45

--
11 Nov 2010 09:02 AM

Good Afternoon,

How is the DEPOT physical training? I have prior service but have since gotten preety out of shape. How is the test administered? Does the run come first and then the push ups and situps? How are the instructors when it comes to the push ups? Do they put a fist under your chest? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Irish528

--
    11 Nov 2010 10:08 AM
    I sent you an answer via private message.
    Delta7L

--
    15 Nov 2010 06:05 PM
    Could I trouble you for the same info? Thanks
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    15 Nov 2010 06:29 PM
    Please share on the board. If one person asks the question, 100 wanted to ask. It could benefit many people as opposed to one!
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLurker22

--
    17 Nov 2010 11:00 AM
    I just graduated Depot in July of 2010. The physical conditioning was pretty intense but I don't think we got it as bad as other companies. Our group was pretty squared away and professional from the moment we stepped off the bus. The CC's tried hard to rattle us and get in our heads (and succeeded on a few different opportunities) but the prior service members really helped the rest of us figure out what was expected. As a result of all of this, our IT wasn't that bad. We had a few "fire fire fire" drills and rolling in the grass to do but not that often. It all hinged around the PT (1.5 mile, swim, situps and pushups). Even when I was IT'd for whatever reason, it wasn't as bad as I thought it could have been.

However, if your group (assuming you're going to Depot too) isn't squared away or sounding off properly from day 1, be prepared to push the deck early and often. Pass the PT or you'll be up every morning around 0430 for extra IT. Know your 11 general orders or you'll be pushing/rolling in the grass. Know your rates/ranks or you'll be pushing. In other words, your group controls how much you're IT'd during your stay there. The instructors will definitely let you know if someone in the group messed up and what they did wrong so you can all learn from each other's mistakes. Once you come together as a unit, you'll start pointing out and helping others correct those mistakes before they get noticed by your CC. That's how you look out for your shipmates.

If anyone has more specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. I can't always get on the boards but when I can, I'll send a response to whatever you need. Hope this helps.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLurker22

--
    17 Nov 2010 11:08 AM
    Posted By ALJ45 on 11 Nov 2010 10:02 AM

Good Afternoon,

How is the DEPOT physical training? I have prior service but have since gotten preety out of shape. How is the test administered? Does the run come first and then the push ups and situps? How are the instructors when it comes to the push ups? Do they put a fist under your chest? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Sorry, I missed some specific questions.  Here goes:

The PT starts with pushups, then situps and then the run.  Later, you do the 100 meter swim.  Depending on how many people in your company, it might take a while and you'll have a short break in between pushups, then situps and the run.  So, it's not immediately one right after another but about 2-5 minute break in between each section.  The pushups are done with a padding under you that's the approximate size of a fist that you must touch that and come back up with your arms almost locked.  They demonstrate everything before you do it so you know the proper form for sure.  When preparing before you go, put a canteen or water bottle under you and practice touching that.  If you fail and have early morning IT, you practice with your canteen under you instead of the pad.

There isn't a point system assigned to each section so if you do more than required, there's no extra benefit (I think regular recruits have best fitness award so they should do extra but we didn't have that in Depot so there's no need).  That also means you should just do the minimum so you aren't wiped out for the other tests.  Believe me, the more lactic acid you have in your muscles from pushups, the harder the run is going to be.  It doesn't sound logical but it's true. Usually, someone burns out on the situps and then can't run as fast and miss their time by just a few seconds.  When you're training, do as many pushups/situps as possible before your run.  When testing, do the minimum required.

Also, when you're training, try to do whatever the <30 section is even if it doesn't apply to you.  It might be discouraging at first but it will pay off big time in the long run.  Hope this helps better than the last response.  Any other questions, feel free to ask.
    Brown Dog Farm

--
    11 Feb 2011 12:58 PM
    TheLurker - What do you mean by "<30 section"?

BDF
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLurker22

--
    12 Feb 2011 08:05 AM
    They breakdown the fitness requirements by age. As your age goes up, the requirements are lowered. The first age group is everyone younger than 30....so I wrote that as <30. You'll start with having to do 38 situps, 28 pushups and the 1.5 mile in 12:51. Once you turn 30, it drops to 25 pushups, 35 situps and the 1.5 mile in 13:36. The next level is 40 (don't know what the requirements are) and the last level is for those older than 60. <br /> <br /> Therefore, if you train for the highest standard possible (the requirements for those younger than 30), then you'll easily pass whatever age bracket applies to you. <br /> <br /> Did this clear things up a little? Sorry for the confusion.
    Jgajate

--
    13 Apr 2018 05:21 PM
    Is there a point system for the physical training?
    TombRaider330

--
    15 Apr 2018 03:23 PM
    Thank you @ TheLurker22. On the swimming section-- can you break per 25 yards to catch your breath? or keep going? Also is there Cycling @ Depot?
    dthomas482

--
    15 Apr 2018 03:32 PM
    I went through DEPOT in 2013. There is no point system for PT. Just minimum required reps and max allowable time for the run. Strive for the under 30 years old standards, they aren’t difficult. As for the swim it has to be continuous 100 yards. We swam in a circle so it was awkward and there was no using the wall for a flip turn. Just keep swimming nonstop and you’ll be fine.
    TombRaider330

--
    15 Apr 2018 04:51 PM
    Thank you dthomas482 I have a better vision now to help my preparation.
    mrsteve007

--
    15 Apr 2018 05:53 PM
    Do they still have the differing fitness requirements at DEPOT for those 30 years of age or over?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ljcalimano

--
    16 Apr 2018 08:04 AM
    Men Push-ups Sit-ups
    <30 29  38
    30-39 24 35
    40-49 18 29
    Women    
    >30 23 32
    30-39 19 25
    40-49 13 20

Men
    1.5 Mile Run
    <30
    12:51
    30-39
    13:36
    40-49
    14:29
    Women      
    >30
    15:26
    30-39
    15:57
    40-49
    16:58

The above numbers are for the PT test only. When your company gets IT (incentive training, which some consider a punishment) everyone is required to do that workouts together and at the same pace. 
    ECU_Pirate

--
    22 Apr 2018 07:58 PM
    We had a lot of prior service drop in my DEPOT class because they had let themselves go and showed up unprepared. Show up prepared to greatly exceed the PT test on day 1 (also show up within weight). You will be tested on it soon after arriving and will be expected to pass it that first time. Besides, its better to have one less thing to worry about.
    TombRaider330

--
    23 Apr 2018 09:46 PM
    I'll be signing my contract soon, probably this week and I'm excited/nervous  

orbit

--
    24 Apr 2018 02:58 PM
    So if you fail, let’s say your push ups during your first go around are you able to get up early and work out before everyone and then get re tested or are you sent home? I am reading that people have expierenced both. Is it on a case by case basis? I plan to show up prepared but in the event that I freeze up and get nervous I want to know if I will have a second chance or not.
    orbit

--
    24 Apr 2018 03:01 PM
    Posted By TombRaider330 on 23 Apr 2018 10:46 PM
    I'll be signing my contract soon, probably this week and I'm excited/nervous  

Tombraider330- congrats! I just signed my contract and swore in recently. It was very exciting. I was a little nervous for a second but now I feel great and more motivated then ever! Once again, congrats!
    TombRaider330

--
    24 Apr 2018 09:27 PM
    Thanks Orbit! That's awesome and Congrats as well!

I think I'm ready and so far ahead of the requirements for running, push ups and sit ups within time limits. I can memorize the 11 General Orders and Coast Guard Ethos which I'm so happy about! I'd been carrying my Helmsman book like a bible. My only concern at this point is the swimming portion. I have been brushing on my swimming skills mainly on freestyle and breaststroke. I wonder if we can just stick to one stroke? or have to do various strokes except butterfly and backstroke. Can we take a quick break if we get tired?

My advice-- do push ups and sit ups every day and you'll get better each time. I do crossfits every other day and swim/run in between. I can tell I'm improving each day and I try to stick to it to be prepared. Now, if I can only nail the swimming portion before ship date, aiming for June 3rd, then I am good to go!  
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement