Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
PSU 312
Last Post 18 May 2019 10:56 PM by CCCSD. 28 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Delta7L

--
21 Nov 2010 05:26 PM
    Hi there, this is my first posting....I met with a recruiter last week and was told that I would be placed into PSU 312.  I’m very nervous about this because of the international deployments.  I have a 4-year-old son and the thought of not seeing him for a year would kill me.  I know the chances of being deployed by just being in the CG is there and I'm good with that, but just the thought of knowing every three years or so that I'm going to be deployed is a tough one.  Any thoughts?  I want to serve my country but not at the expense of my wife and family (of whom are very supportive of any decision I do make).  Any one here from PSU 312?  Are there chances of transferring to a station after getting to the PSU unit?  I would be leaving for DEPOT in March as a ME. 

Also how do you get placed into a unit that as a higher level physical then other units. Wouldn’t you apply for a unit like that? I think of it like Army Rangers, you choose to be a Ranger, not told you are going to be one.

Thanks for any advice and consideration to my question.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    21 Nov 2010 06:10 PM
    It's pretty simple. If you don't want to leave home, don't join.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    22 Nov 2010 05:42 AM
    You can talk to your recruiter about switching units, or go through DEPOT report in and ask for a transfer. OR, you can ask your recruiter to get you in touch with the PSU Command so they can give you the break down on deployment lengths, missions, etc. Not all deployments are 1 year, it all depends.

The only units we have that are more physically demanding are the Deployable Operations Group (DOG), but that implies that they are MORE deployable something it seems you aren't interested in. They are also only available for the AD so you have nothing to worry about.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    bnk183

--
    22 Nov 2010 06:37 AM
    "The only units we have that are more physically demanding are the Deployable Operations Group (DOG), but that implies that they are MORE deployable something it seems you aren't interested in. They are also only available for the AD so you have nothing to worry about."

That is not true. PSU's are part of the DOG and they are almost all reservists. There are also some reservists assigned to TACLET's and MSST's.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    22 Nov 2010 08:12 AM
    I'd like to know which TACLETs and MSSTs have Reservists attached which PSUs are manned by the AD. This is the first I've heard of it.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    bnk183

--
    22 Nov 2010 11:30 AM
    The MSST's I know have reservists are Galveston, Miami, Kings Bay and New Orleans. I can't speak for the others because I don't know anyone there. Taclet south is currently looking for a reserve HS (per peoplesoft). All PSU's have 5 AD personnel to keep things going in between drill weekends, usually logo officer, YN, BM, MK, SK.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    22 Nov 2010 03:23 PM
    Gears i know there is some reserves at MSST for a fact. we had one working down in the gulf with us. They also were talking about how they have to get qualifed and everything else. I cant say the same for a Taclet because i dont have working knowledge of it.

On another note to the orginal poster if you dont want to deploy DO NOT JOIN THE COAST GUARD. I am going to make it as plan and simple as i can. You can be called to be anywhere in the world in more or less 3 days. If there is an emergency or national disaster we rely on the reserves just like the active duty. I can tell you and im sure a few others on the board can to. that they have spent many months away from there family
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    22 Nov 2010 06:14 PM
    Bnk, Southern,

You learn something new everyday. Thanks for the heads up.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    22 Nov 2010 08:57 PM
    King's Bay doesn't have reservists. They did years ago, but not anymore.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    22 Nov 2010 09:00 PM
    And my other point is...

Deployments and spending time away from loved ones is a fact of life for any military member. I have missed countless birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, weddings, and funerals. The part you have to keep in mind, is that life goes on. You won't be loved any less, and just because you are gone a little bit, doesn't mean you love your family any less. On the contrary. You are doing what you do BECAUSE you love them. Goodbyes are tough. Welcome home hugs are awesome.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    23 Nov 2010 05:21 AM
    i cant agree more cooch.

I ended up at my little girls birthday this year for about 4 hours and then had to drive back. I will end up missing my wifes birthday, anniversary, and maybe even christmas this year depending on how things fall. it is a given fact. the last thing i might miss for this time is my oldest daughters bday on how the move fallls
    Delta7L

--
    23 Nov 2010 11:11 AM
    Thanks for all your input especially yours Gears...I have decided to accept the sacrifices and serve my country.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    23 Nov 2010 11:29 AM
    No problem Delta, we're here if you have any more questions.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    23 Nov 2010 02:54 PM
    glad to hear and like gears said any time we will try to answer them without bashing to much
    bones101

--
    23 Nov 2010 10:03 PM
    DELTA 7L,

Ive already pinned down a billet spot for a BM at PSU 312. I leave next week for Cape May. I hear they do deploy alot. I know they just got back from a deployment to Kuwait not to long ago. One of the guys I spoke with in the unit told me that it may be awhile before they get deployed again. But everyone else is right, you can be deployed anytime. But in my opinion...... whats the point of doing all the training and not getting to use it!? Bring on the deployments. (I say that now) Anyways, well if you do join....shoot me a message and I can give you some of the info I have on the unit. I already recieved my welcome aboard pack.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    24 Nov 2010 05:35 AM
    whats the point of doing all the training and not getting to use it!?

+1 Bones
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    24 Nov 2010 03:32 PM
    +2
    bones
    Delta7L

--
    24 Nov 2010 06:48 PM
    Bones, did you go through DEPOT or are you transfering to PSU 312 from another unit?
    bones101

--
    24 Nov 2010 08:30 PM
    Delta 7L,

I'm a fresh recruit. No military experience. I have worked for a Police Department (non-sworn) for the past 3 years and I wish I would have joined right out of HS. But I hope you know you also must attend a course at the Special Missions Training Center at Camp Lejune if your in a PSU Unit. You will not be able to do your two weeks active duty until you attend that training center. My recruiter didnt tell me about. But....from what ive seen it looks like youll recieve some awesome training there!
    DSW

--
    29 Jan 2011 06:32 PM
    Hey,
    I am also looking into joining the USCG Reserves, Port Security Unit 312. I have heard that as a sworn peace officer I only need to attend a 2 week basic training, is this true? I have heard about 2 deployments, one to Gitmo, one to the Middle East, has their been any others? How is the training and morale of the unit? I am serious about this, but I want to get as much info as I can, before I make my decision. If anyone who is in the unit could shoot an email to langley0077@aol.com I would greatly appreciate it...
    Delta7L

--
    04 Mar 2011 07:41 AM
    Just a quick update from my November 21 post....I've signed up and have date to ship in June. Thanks for all the info and posts. Most of all I'm doing this to give back to this great country we all call home!
    bones101

--
    04 Mar 2011 06:53 PM
    Well, Im all finished with boot camp! I graduated a month ago. I forgot to log back on and check this website out. Im not going to lie......if you have no other mlitary experience then I don't think they should let you attend DEPOT. We had a DEPOT unit at boot camp while I was there. They get treated "special," which is fine if you have already been to a bootcamp but if your new to military then you need to pass what everyone else went through. But thats just my opinion.
    Delta7L

--
    06 Mar 2011 02:00 AM
    Bones, just curious…can you elaborate on “Special”.

Thanks
    bones101

--
    07 Mar 2011 10:31 AM
    Delta 7L,

They don't get yelled at! They are treated like human beings. lol. Its not as intense at all. I think if your prior service then its all good, but If not then you need to pass a REAL military boot camp, not some three week vacation.
    bones101

--
    07 Mar 2011 10:34 AM
    But either way, your taking the step to stand up and serve your country. So DEPOT or not, I thank you for your dedication. And remember, heels together when you stop in the chow hall and NO facing movements in the Galley!
    Romeo40

--
    14 May 2019 06:15 PM
    Just curious, what does the AD MK1 do at PSU 312?
    CCCSD

--
    14 May 2019 08:09 PM
    Fix the boats, train MKs.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    18 May 2019 10:21 PM
    Not a particularly helpful answer
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    CCCSD

--
    18 May 2019 10:56 PM
    What more do you want? The AD MKs do MK stuff. They also attend any needed training to qualify as needed. They are the LPO for that DIV. Just like at a STA.

ME1 (Ret)
    Plank Owner PSU 312
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement