Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Net Ettiquette
Last Post 12 Dec 2010 07:27 AM by m15airof. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Trusted Member / Administrator
chukles

--
23 Nov 2010 11:08 AM
    Net Ettiquette.

There is a trend developing on these forums that disrupt the flow of information. Please take a moment to read the below. 

For many, this board is the first step in the long process of joining the absolute best service in the world.We need to take a step back and reflect upon those first questions we had, and the complete lack of knowlegde we possesed when we started our journey.  True, some questions are asked over and over, but does that make them less important to the poster?

I have never been a fan of jabs and insults to posters. Customer service, and by posting on this forum that is what we are providing, always needs to be a top priority. Belittling a potential recruit is bad business. This forum is read by persons of importance throughout multiple commands, to include Coast Guard recruiting.

Lets step up, civilian and military alike, to the core values of Honor, RESPECT, and devotion to duty. Each question regardless of substance needs an answer that helps, not hinders.

I have refrained from heavy moderation beacuse I did not want to seam overbearing, but I feel that if we as a community do not refrain from the insults, it may be needed. A single bad apple can poison an ambition.

From the top 10 news website: 25 forum posting ettiquette tips;

1. Read the forums rules and guidelines before posting for the first time.

2. Search the other posts to see if your topic is already covered.

3. Use a meaningful title for your thread.

4. Do not use a forum to promote your product, service or business.

5. Be civil. Personal differences should be handled through email or IM and not through posts displayed to everyone.

6. Stay on topic.

7. Ignore spammers, respond to them personally and not through the board, or report them.

8. Do not submit a post that requires readers to download a large attachment. Either explain the attachment or, better yet, provide a link to the information.

9. Use plain text over HTML if you want your post to be readable by everyone.

10. In order to be understood by most people, use correct spelling, grammar and avoid slang unless you know the word or phrase will be understood by other members.

11. Do not double post (post the same message twice in one thread) or cross post (place the same message across several forums).

12. Act in a give and take manner; help others as often as or more than you ask for help.

13. Do not use all caps or SHOUT in your posts. In addition, one exclamation point is enough.

14. When replying to a post, do not quote more from the previous post than you have to.

15. Do not post new problems on someone else's thread and interrupt a topic of discussion.

16. Do not use someone else’s thread for a private conversation.

17. Most forums prohibit warez, cracks or illegal downloading of software and similar topics.

18. Watch your sense of humor, posts may be read by people from a variety of backgrounds and ages.

19. Do not use a huge and annoying signature, a modest signature is fine, moderators may remove large ones anyway.

20. Do not post any information that you want private. Posts should not contain personal, identifiable information or content embarrassing to others.

21. Do not post content that violates a copyright.

22. Do not post ”empty” or useless responses, such as just ”lol” or ”cool.” Only post responses when you have something to contribute.

23. Write concisely and do not ramble.

24. Do not use words like ”urgent” or ”important” in your subject line, be patient.

25. Do not chastise newbies.

These are good guidelines to follow.

Vr,
    Chukles
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    23 Nov 2010 12:29 PM
    While obviously not as important as OPSEC, I would suggest this gets stickied or pinned in some of the other forums as well.

All in all though, these are very good guidelines.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    24 Nov 2010 11:18 PM
    Chuck, I feel like numbers 6, 18, and 22 single Gears and I out. Not Fair!!! lol
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    25 Nov 2010 07:24 AM
    6 and 18 for sure... 22? How do you figure that?
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    27 Nov 2010 10:41 AM
    i think 6 is our biggest thing after the answer has been posted multiple times.

Sorry chuckles and if you do see something hit me up in a PM This way i know that it is out of line.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    27 Nov 2010 10:46 AM
    Will do! This is more preemptive than post apocalypse!

Just want to keep this a welcoming environment to all involved, whether newbie or old salt. We are running the best and most informative site available. It is due to all of us that it is this way! # 6 was addressed a year or two ago, and it was voted to let the threads run a bit. I think it is a good idea to give the freedom of off topic posts. They are sometimes funny, and often times informative. The one that always gets me is the thread jack. If you have a question that is not applicable to the OP, start a new thread! lol
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    27 Nov 2010 11:23 AM
    understand the thread jack all to well. I would love to just see an off topic section posted.

and we all know we dont want to be like the other website
    massagegirl128

--
    12 Dec 2010 07:03 AM
    Chuckles, thank you for posting these rules. I read on here a lot and occasionally post. I was finding that many of the people answering started sounding down right rude, and even though that may not have been there intent that was how it sounded. A few times I would not have been surprised if someone just left the forum all together because of the rudeness. I am a coasttie wife and I can see how civilians having questions would be intimidated or turned off after reading some of the answers. Thank you.
    m15airof

--
    12 Dec 2010 07:27 AM
    I also agree with these rules. I have seen some posts where a new or old member has posted something that others, including long time forum members, find offensive. I know this might sound impossible but in some circumstances maybe these issues could be settled through a private message to the user if an admin or veteran happens to see it (and maybe some post editing). Of course we can't control everyone and stop them from posting anyways but maybe it would prevent the occasional few pages of banter that can ensue . In some situations posters often feel the need to defend their original post to protect from embarrassment, with varying degrees of success. I love this forum, I have learned practically everything I know about the USCG here: Keep up the good work!!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement