Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
booking airfare home for leave
Last Post 04 Dec 2010 06:03 AM by southern118. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
magmam

--
24 Nov 2010 09:22 PM
    I am really angry about something and want to share this with others. My son will be having his first leave Dec 29th since graduating from bootcamp in May with Whiskey 182. His ship just returned from a 90 day patrol today{yeah} back to homeport in Ca. While he was away I investigated flights home to NJ and found the b...est deal online thru US Airways however before booking the flight I told him to call a number provided on their website regarding military discounts for military on leave. I emailed him all the flight info- including stopovers and flight numbers and the price online..$500. He brought the info up on his laptop at the US Airways website and called the number...Well the military discounted flight ended up being $930!!! That is correct...$930.00!! Thinking surely there must be a mistake-my son compa...red the flight info with the woman on the phone from his laptop and she insisted that was the correct price. Needless to say he hung up and booked the flights on line.[for $500] I think this is an absolute disgrace and fully intend to follow up with a written letter to US Airways...some military discount!
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    24 Nov 2010 09:27 PM
    That was sucky of them!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    24 Nov 2010 09:38 PM
    I wonder if the "military discount" was a discounted price for a full fare ticket as opposed to a restricted fare ticket that y'all found online?

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    24 Nov 2010 11:13 PM
    I am sure Wep is absolutely correct. The discounted price was probably on a ticket that could be changed at any time, for any reason and no extra charge. Those full fares will cost an arm & a leg... However, if there is a chance at recall, sometimes it is worth it. If something were to happen and he had to boogie back to Cali quickly because his command called and told him too, those changes on a discounted fare may go well beyond the 430$ difference. However, you should still give a call to US Airways and let them know about your frustration.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    25 Nov 2010 02:33 PM
    They let you fly open fare. I've used them once but its easier for me to use American since they fly out of the two small airports I go to.
    The rate you were given you can change your flight details. I changed when I flew out once I was home, just a quick call and it was changed. They usually offer you that as the military but if you ask for a restricted dates they will also give you that.
    I saved about 450(no joke) but YMMV
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    26 Nov 2010 09:59 AM

all military discounts on airfare are taken from the full value of the ticket.  You can ALWAYS find better deals from buying online via the airline's official website. 

I personally only flight southwest or american airlines when I fly.  With southwest, you usally don't have to put up with any BS, and you get to check your bags for free. 

Unfortunatley, that's just the way it is now.  You may not get a good discount on the flight, but I almost always get free food and drinks on my flights if they know I'm military, and i've even got upgraded to 1st class when I checked in on my way back from A-school from CA to FL.  It was nice

Trusted Member
    E

--
    26 Nov 2010 12:12 PM
    I fly American, usually if you stroll up to the front of your gate, ask if there is any availability in first class as you are military, usually you get hooked up. Im really shy and never tried it, but eventually tried it and I sat first class from LA to Miami. I also flew private jet from Fresno to LA. I was really (no joke) the only person in the airplane. They delayed it later that day but nobody else flew.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    27 Nov 2010 12:37 AM
    They charge more because military tickets are refundable and you can make changes to them. Most tickets are non-refundable. It's pretty crummy that they do that, but that's always been their deal. Has he checked into Space A travel? Those can be free most of the time.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    03 Dec 2010 11:19 AM
    I flew on US Airways once when I was younger. Never again. The only time I flew that I thought the plane would fall out of the sky.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Dec 2010 12:22 PM
    I feel that way about Delta. I would walk before I'll board a Delta flight again. I swear to the heaven's above that plane flew through the two towers on the George Washington Bridge on a landing in Newark, NJ! The blinking tower lights were right next to the window. More terrifying then when the CG C-130 flew through a flock of seagulls, lost an engine, started a fire and cracked the windshield!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    03 Dec 2010 04:53 PM
    Thanks everyone for the support and ideas-I am passing all of them on to my son!
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    03 Dec 2010 09:10 PM
    I'll fly whatevers cheapest, if something scary happens along the way at least it will make the time go by faster Its expensive to fly out of Key West and fly into another small airport in California. Beggers can't be choosers.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Dec 2010 09:16 PM
    Like Ron White says "The plane will take you all the way to the crash site."
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    03 Dec 2010 10:56 PM
    And they told us about it over the speaker system of the plane, which was stupid because they coulda just went (looks backward) "Hey, we lost some oil pressure." [gives a thumbs-up] Heard ya! Sure did.
    I feel like this everytime I fly out of key west.

Harder than the flight, im 6 months short of 21, I'm going to try to rent a car, because bumming rides and trying to borrow a family members car was hard. I know ill probably get shut down but it's worth a try. I know they'll ask for orders though.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    04 Dec 2010 06:03 AM
    Some will some won't. Your military idea usually is enough
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement