Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
what is this
Last Post 03 May 2016 09:45 PM by hooligan. 16 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
southern118

--
25 Nov 2010 07:52 AM
    lets see if anyone can tell me what this is and what happened to them
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    25 Nov 2010 08:47 AM
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Fl...ff_(PGH-1)

USS Flagstaff (PGH-1) was the only Flagstaff-class patrol gunboat (hydrofoil) and was acquired by the United States Navy because of her relatively low cost and very high speed. She was later loaned by the Navy to the U.S. Coast Guard, as USCGC Flagstaff (WPBH-1). The Coast Guard’s interest in the craft was the craft’s speed and its ability to interdict smugglers and other suspicious craft approaching the U.S. coast.

She was decommissioned at Woods Hole on 30 September 1978 and returned to the Navy. The Coast Guard noted that: "sufficient information on the use of hydrofoils has been gathered from the evaluation program." The escalating costs of repair, and the fact that she needed an engine replacement too, figured into the decision to return her to the Navy. She was scrapped in 1978.

An awesome idea!!
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    25 Nov 2010 11:06 AM
    i was searching for somethign and it popped up and thought i had to share with everyone. she also had a sister ship.

She was a cutter becuase she was over 65 feet it doesnt look that large to me

http://www.warboats.org/pgh.htm

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Wisper7

--
    09 Dec 2010 11:07 PM
    WHOA! Howed you like to be a drug smuggler and see THAT coming at you...

Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    22 Dec 2010 12:31 PM
    That may be one of the most kick ass things ever.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CSAYank

--
    25 Feb 2011 01:45 PM
    Hahaha, that's cool lookin!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    VicNaz1

--
    21 Jul 2011 11:08 AM
    We need a crash program to develop a 25 foot RB-H (for Hydrofoil) so that the CG has a nice 60 knot (or faster) interceptor boat. It would save wear and tear on the Helo's and probably be suitable for lost of SAR cases too.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Landstander

--
    08 Aug 2011 12:33 PM
    I think I may add my two cents here. As stated this is a hydrofoil. My father was a LTJG in the Coast Guard and served on the USS Pegasus back in the 80s. He told me they were great ships, he could be at Castro's front door in about half an hour from the dock in Key West. He loved them but they did cost a pretty penny and they were always getting into all kinds of trouble. In fact, the shorted sea command in the Navy came out of the Hydrofoil program, the skipper took command and on his first float he put her up on the foils and hit a sand bar. The draft while airborne was about 30 feet. This brought about the general order you could not go foil borne within 30 miles of the coast, but this regulation was broken all the time. They were a great cold war asset that kept Cuba in check and sent the drug runners... well, running.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    30 Sep 2011 03:54 PM
    are you sure he said 30 feet and no 30 inches? 30 feet is the same as some tankers
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Oct 2011 07:13 AM
    Yeah I have to agree... 30 FEET could fit a 3 story house under it. From that picture you couldn't fit a Datsun under the boat... so I would believe just a typo and it is 30 inches. But I could be wrong....
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    01 Oct 2011 11:56 AM
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Fl...ff_(PGH-1)

it is saying the draft with foils extended is 18ft.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Landstander

--
    21 Oct 2011 10:08 PM
    Ok, well he was on a navy one, they were bigger and what not. I may be wrong, it's been a while.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    01 Nov 2011 08:53 PM
    these were from the navy but in the same boat if itis a 15ft draft they might have wanted to double that to be on the safe side
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Landstander

--
    10 Dec 2011 03:30 PM
    So after talking to my father I have confirmed, the draft was 30 with the foils down, but when they were foil borne the draft was variable depending on how high they were out of the water.
    PotomacAux

--
    23 Apr 2016 04:45 AM
    Accordind to http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/1001.htm (which includes pictures of all of these configurations), draft was:

* foils retracted - 4'4"

* foils extended - 18'

What is doesn't clarify is whether the foil extended draft is foilborne or at displacement speed.

If you look at the photos with foils retracted, it doesn't look like 18' of foil would be submerged at foilborne speed.  One photo shows what appears to be load lines on the retracted foil with a crewman standing nearby.

Extrapolating from that, it looks like foilborne draft might be as high as 8', little as 4' or so.

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    23 Apr 2016 08:56 AM
    hope you can see this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbdF3--ng90
    you may have to cut and paste the link
    hooligan

--
    03 May 2016 09:45 PM
    Yes, the hydrofoil fleet looked real cool... unless you were paying the fuel bill. Each of the later navy hydrofoils had a single GE LM2500 gas turbine driving the propulsion pump, which pulled water up thru the aft foils and jet it out the stern, at a fuell bill of about 25 to 30 gallons per minute of fuel. Yes, I said gallons per minute. There were also small diesel hull - stern jet pumps for cruising in shore and ports, but this was done with the foils raised, and nothing looks more foolish than a hydrofoil with its foils up. If you've got the bucks and a big exxon gas card you can buy the scrapped hydrofoils, they're around. The engine will cost you bucks, because everyone knows how valuable they are.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement