Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Medical waiver
Last Post 12 Dec 2018 12:54 PM by CPORJM. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
TheBigC1234

--
27 Nov 2010 09:23 AM
    Ok so a year ago I contacted a recruiter and went through MEPS and all that but I wrote that i fainted three times on my meical history where I really only fainted once and felt faint two other times. The MEPS doctor took that the wrong way and disqualified me. My recruiter said they were not accepting medical waivers and that there was no way i can join the Coast Guard.

On last Tuesday my recruiter called me and said that he can more than likely get me in on a waiver and the Coast Guard is "wide open". So My question is how does a medical waiver work if I am able to get one? Do I have to go through MEPS again? Once I get the waiver do I have to go to boot camp right away? How long is it good for?
    It's Hammer Time!!
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    27 Nov 2010 09:52 AM
    A medical waiver, if approved, is valid for a period of one year. The fact that you wrote you fainted three times, but in reality only once, will be hard to prove. If your recruiter is willing to work with you, run with it!! Details of how, can be best provided by your recruiter.

I wish you the best!
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    27 Nov 2010 07:47 PM
    As Chuckles states...run fast, run really, really fast and have anything and everything squared away ready for your recruiter the moment it is asked for, be willing to drop anything you are doing to get it done...this, in my opinion, is a golden goose opportunity!

Go like the wind with it!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    28 Nov 2010 10:44 AM
    The term "wide open" is not entirely accurate. Are they looking for more people to fill some basic training vacancies over the next month or two? Yes. But "wide open" implies that anyone that wants to join will get in. Once this short window closes, things will go back to the way they have been over the last couple of years, which is extremely tight. The problem with medical waivers is that the process takes a considerable amount of time. I know that I have been waiting for the answer on one for a few months now, and I know of other recruiters that waited six months, only to be told that the applicant was not qualified. Regardless, good luck to you.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    zieg

--
    29 Nov 2010 12:27 PM
    I applied to the Coast Guard 2 years ago. When I was in 10th grade my Dr. put in my file that I might have ADHD. I took medication for about 3 weeks and stopped because my parents and I felt it was not needed. Whatever it was I grew out of it and everything has been fine. But I had to get a letter from my Dr. I passed my physical and scored high I all of my tests. Everything was processed and the Coast Guard asked me to go see one of their Psychiatrists, who also gave me his approval. I finally got my swearing-in date which was this morning. When I got there I was told that I could not swear in because my physcial had expired. I went to have it done again and was once again passed, no problems. The Dr. at the end who had my file said he could not process my file because of the "medical issue" and that he would have to review everything. (My file had already been reviewed and passed). He said that my recruiter would call me on Thursday with "their decision". I am still in a state of shock...
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    29 Nov 2010 12:27 PM
    It was a 6 month process to get me a waiver.  It is possible.  It is a HUGE pain in the you-know-what.  It's also worth it.  Go with it.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Nov 2010 12:43 PM
    Zieg,

It just sounds like normal red tape. It also sounds like it looks very good for you. I won't say it's a for sure thing, but just give it a couple of days. Your recruiter should have noticed you were coming close to expiration but recruiters are human and miss things, too. Hang in there, it will all work out just fine. You might have to retest on the ASVAB as well depending upon how long ago you took that.

I wish you the best of luck. Just don't give up the ship with worry on this one. Let them work it all out.

Macie
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    andim327@aol.com

--
    30 Nov 2010 10:24 PM
    I have a son- in- law that completd MEPS in April or May of 2010 in the Bay Area - Californnia.  He had to lose about 35 pounds because the Coast Guard goes on a height/weight chart not your body mass any longer. He lost the weight and was then told that because he had lasic eye surgury while he was in the U.S. Marines it would be considered a waiver and the Coast Guard would take someone with out a waiver before they would take him. I am curious as to the validity of that process. Can you verify for me, I really appreciate any information or direction you can provide, thank you!
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    01 Dec 2010 08:53 AM
    Here is what it says about Lasik in the medical enlistment standards... http://usmilitary.about.com/od/join...a/eyes.htm

Refractive Eye Surgery

This includes (but is not limited to) a history of lamellar surgury, penetrating keratoplasty, LASEK, and LASIK.

Radial Keratotomy and Astigmatic Keratotomy is disqualifying.

LASEK and LASIK is disqualifying if any of the following conditions are present:

(1) Pre-surgury refractive error in either eye exceeds + 8.00 to - 8.00 diopters.

(2) At least 6 months recovery period has not occurred between last refractive surgery or augmenting procedure and MEPS medical examination.

(3) There have been complications, and/or medications or ophthalmic solutions are required.

(4) Post-surgical refraction in each eye is not stable as demonstrated by (a) At least two separate refractions at least one month apart, the most recent of which demonstrates more than +/- 0.50 diopters difference for spherical vision and/or more than +/- 0.25 diopters for cylinder vision; and (b) At least 3 months recovery has not occurred between the last refractive surgery or augmenting procedure and one of the comparison refractions.

To my understanding waivers are extremely hard to impossible to come by in the Coast Guard and even very difficult to come by in the other military branches as well, the minimum bar has been raised immensely, so I concur with the information given to you that the CG will take a applicant not needing a waiver before they would ever take one needing one...actually there are probably so many in line not needing any waivers that they do not need to even consider approving a waiver, there simply is no need...it sucks without question, but in this economy kids are lining up around the block and willing to wait for months and even years for just a chance to get accepted, it is not like the old days when you could walk in sign some papers and get on the next bus, that is for sure.

I wish him the very best!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    andim327@aol.com

--
    01 Dec 2010 09:17 PM
    Thank you for your insight into this process.

I feel really bad that he is gettng looked over since he was in the Marines for four years with two tours to Iraq and that doesn't count for anything.

Have a great holiday season!
    Barnetttamera

--
    12 Dec 2018 10:49 AM
    Today, I had a walk -in appointment at my nearest recruiting office. Because I have  a medical history of ADHD, I was told that I would not be able to join because I received a supplement of my SSI. However, It was recently determined that I know longer have ADHD, and I no longer meet the criteria for SSI disability. I am here to seek guidance upon weather or not  I can be approved for a medical waiver
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    12 Dec 2018 12:54 PM
    Posted By Barnetttamera on 12 Dec 2018 11:49 AM
    Today, I had a walk -in appointment at my nearest recruiting office. Because I have  a medical history of ADHD, I was told that I would not be able to join because I received a supplement of my SSI. However, It was recently determined that I know longer have ADHD, and I no longer meet the criteria for SSI disability. I am here to seek guidance upon weather or not  I can be approved for a medical waiver

No one here is going to know that. That's up to your recruiter and CG Recruiting Command
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement