Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
College questions!
Last Post 24 Jul 2012 09:06 AM by ebee. 36 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Trusted Member / Administrator
chukles

--
27 Nov 2010 10:33 AM
    A lot of questions are asked about which college do you go to, which is the best, online or not....

Here is a place to ask away!
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    chukles

--
    27 Nov 2010 10:34 AM
    I attend Touro univerusty, www.TUIU.edu

It is an excellent college that truly caters to the needs of the military student. I have completed my Bachelors in Business and am half way through my Masters in information technology management.

It has a sliding pay scale for military students as well.

Where does everyone else go to?
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    27 Nov 2010 03:06 PM
    Oops, all of a sudden there are a lot of threads about college program for the military and I posted a comment in another thread that would have been better posted here. Please feel free to delete the other.

Anyway, I was somewhat surprised to see an advertisement during halftime of the Auburn - Alabama game for a University of Alabama online degree program for military members. It must be becoming a pretty big business if the major schools are jumping in and spending the money for full commercials on a major network.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    bikesnotscott

--
    27 Nov 2010 10:10 PM
    I would love to hear of more schools anyone might have went to and what you majored in. I will be looking to take online classes to get another bachelors and my masters. I currently have a BS in audio engineering from the New England Institute of Art in Boston.

This also leads me to my next question, which GI bill is a better option for someone who is taking online classes while enlisted? Post 9/11?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    28 Nov 2010 05:20 AM
    I dont use my GI bill for school. I am using TA to pay for it. No reason to use my GI bill i can save that for my daughters to use. When i decide im going to go over my TA limit i will pay out of pocket or find a small grant.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    28 Nov 2010 06:57 AM
    I am going to Indiana University via the Distance Learning Program http://www.scs.indiana.edu/. Tuition Assistance is picking up the tab. I have a campus right down the street so if I feel like attending classes I have the option. I'm currently pursuing Gen Studies, same as Husband (weak my ass). I'm debating switching over to pursue Journalism with the University of Memphis. Right now though IU offers Distance Learning at my own pace, I've nearly finished 5 classes in the last 6 months. Only 4 more exams to go! I do it all on my own time, with 1 year to complete each class. I love it!

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    bikesnotscott

--
    28 Nov 2010 07:31 AM
    How does TA work? from what I remember reading, they provide you with $4500 a semester?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    28 Nov 2010 11:02 AM
    you are given 4500 dollars a year not semesterg
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    28 Nov 2010 11:36 AM
    The short version is this... You successfully complete Boot Camp, "A" school, "C" school, etc. You have copies of the completion certificates sent to the CG Institute for evaluation. The CG Institute breaks the courses down into college credits. You apply to your school of choice, get accepted and have the official transcripts sent from the Institute to the college. The college evaluates and awards credits as applicable. In order to finish you apply for tuition assistance, the register for the class, as long as you get a C or better the CG picks up the tab. You'll have to pay for your books yourself, I recommend Amazon they can be super cheap. You'll get $4500 a year to take courses online, distance, or brick and mortar depending on your unit and op tempo.

I'm pretty sure that covers it. Still confused? Once you're in it will be explained in greater detail.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    newms

--
    28 Nov 2010 01:01 PM

Anyone have any experience taking a CLEP test to bypass unnecessary classes? (College Level Examination Program)
    newms! PATFORSWA
    chukles

--
    28 Nov 2010 01:05 PM
    I took the English CLEP with essay and received 6 credits for it. TUI accepted it for my English requirements.
    m15airof

--
    28 Nov 2010 01:09 PM
    I would like to get my masters while in the CG, I just want to make the right choice on subject area. Although I loved majoring in Geography for my B.A. there isn't much besides teaching that I could do with it alone. Choices choices!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    28 Nov 2010 02:06 PM
    you can use TA for your masters but you will probably have some out of pocket expense as it is capped at 250 a semester hour
    chukles

--
    28 Nov 2010 02:21 PM
    TUI reduces my course cost to 250 an hour! Woohoo, no out of pocket. I have learned that the masters program is a lot more intense than the bachelors!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    28 Nov 2010 02:33 PM
    that is good to hear on that. i just want to finish up my BS to begin with
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    bikesnotscott

--
    28 Nov 2010 09:42 PM
    This is super helpful, thank you. I am having TUI send me some more information on their programs. I have a while before I'll be able actually take any classes.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Nov 2010 07:19 AM
    Jim got his Bachelor's and his Masters from George Washington University and he has yet to pay one cent out of his pocket for classes. He did take a trip to Russia for a final class in his Master's program. That he paid for.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    29 Nov 2010 03:54 PM
    that isnt to bad of a deal. Im working on my first BS then i might work on a masters then go get a few more BS not sure we will see.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    29 Nov 2010 08:25 PM
    By the time we retire Southern the BA is going to be an HS diploma. I'm planning on pursuing an MA prior to departing the CG, and possibly a 2nd BA or PhD with my GI Bill. I'm planning on having LOADS of free time when I retire.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    30 Nov 2010 05:30 AM
    I completely agree. I think a BA or BS = HS diploma right now. We had a LCDR talk to use about how a MS is about what it takes to get a good job now adays. I plan on finishing atleast to BS programs and one or two MS or even a PHD why not if im not paying for it. I have 18+ years to work on it if i cant get it done then that is my problem not anyone elses
    coastalbreeze

--
    04 Sep 2011 12:09 PM
    heres a question, im currently working on my general ed at a local junior college, ive got about 18 units so far, i was wondering if most online/military schools will take the credits in transfer? they are all fresh from this semester and last year.
    chukles

--
    04 Sep 2011 12:35 PM
    It depends on the school. Most will take some of the credits.
    coastalbreeze

--
    04 Sep 2011 07:33 PM
    so what if i dont finish school while enlisted? would my military/online courses credits transfer to a civilian school? or would i still be able to finish after my enlistment is up?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    04 Sep 2011 08:05 PM
    Here's how college credits work for the military.. You go to boot camp (college credits), "A" school (college credits), and "C" schools (college credits). You send your certs to the CG Institute for evaluation, they develop an official transcript for you. Then you google SOCCOAST (Service Member's Opportunity College Coast Guard) colleges. You will find a list of about 3,000+ military friendly schools. Apply to the school like anyone else, send in your official CG transcript, and they award you credits based on the degree program you're seeking. As you attend more schools you can update your transcripts with the Institute and the school so you can keep your credits current.

Whether or not you stay in makes no difference once the credits are assessed. It'll make more sense if you get in, and have access to our educational resources.

Any questions?
    coastalbreeze

--
    04 Sep 2011 08:17 PM
    Thanks I understand it now
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jgriff92

--
    07 Sep 2011 12:36 PM
    That's awesome didn't know you get credits for boot camp and A schools, do you remember what classes you get for boot camp?
    Whiskey-185 CGC Alex Haley
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    07 Sep 2011 06:22 PM
    They give you a list. I think it's 6 LL credits. They'll go toward your general electives.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    09 Sep 2011 08:53 PM
    Boot camp gives you credits in basic seamanship, physical fitness, and safety. They will only end up being electives, but most college degrees consist of at least 30 electives. It's nice to get electives covered just for doing your job.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Tsumanne

--
    20 Jun 2012 08:06 AM
    I'm a prior service AF E-5 that just graduated from university in Tokyo and will soon have my pilot's license.
    A word of advice for those looking to eventually commission as an officer.

If you want to be an officer go to the Academy, an ROTC program, or get your degree while on AD and make sure it's a science degree. Do not do what I did (get out, go to a school with no ROTC program, and get a BA). Officer billets go to Academy grads and ROTC grads first. OCS gets what ever happens to be left over. For the Air Force last year that was 26 billets. It was statistically easier to get into the Academy than to get an OTS slot... I believe the Coast Guard only had around 80 billets for OCS last year.

Getting into OCS as a civilian (even with prior service) is ugly. If you want to be an O, go to ROTC, the academy, or commission directly from AD or you'll wind up in my boat staring at the prospect of returning as enlisted (which is easier said than done these days). Budget cuts, be prepared and plan accordingly.
    Awahso

--
    22 Jul 2012 09:33 PM
    Not sure if this is relevant to this post, but I will ask anyway. How realistic is it to get a degree while in the CG? I am hoping to get a Masters from AMU while serving but is it realistic?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement