Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
American Military University (AMU)
Last Post 07 Jul 2012 09:19 PM by kyuscgmom. 21 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Informative
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
husband

--
27 Nov 2010 11:23 AM
    If you've been in the service for any amount of time, I'm sure you've heard of AMU.

For people that are interested, AMU's website is http://amu.apus.edu

I am currently attending, and maxed out my Tuition Assistance last year, completing 15 hours at no cost to me. I am currently 13 credits away from a Associate's in General Education (Weak but a degree is a degree, LOL).

The great thing about AMU is that they tailor to servicemembers' needs. They are an all-online college, and the classes are interesting, and challenging. They offer 16 week and 8 week courses, and they tailor to Tuition Assistance's $250 per hour limit by making MOST classes only cost $750 for 3 hour classes. Your books are also included in the price, which they will either mail to you or you're able to access them online.

This is a great college for people that are around computers (OS/IT/ET/IS/YN) and with a little self-motiviation, anyone can accomplish the goal of obtaining a degree.

Contact your ESO for more information, or check out their website. It's full of information!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    27 Nov 2010 12:53 PM
    I am completely with you on this one husband. I have taken 2 classes so far from them one was a 4 hour class becuase it was the class and lab. The teacher was very understanding when i was deployed to the gulf and told me as long as all my work was done by the end he was good with it. I was going to sign up for another class but have to find out who my ESO is going to be.

Any questions on AMU post them up
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    27 Nov 2010 02:57 PM
    I saw a TV commercial during halftime of the Alabama - Auburn game advertising a University of Alabama online degree program for military members. Seems like there are more and more institutions getting into the field...
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    27 Nov 2010 03:23 PM
    if im correct Gears is going to the University of Memphis
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    28 Nov 2010 06:52 AM
    Currently Indiana University, but I have applied to U of M. I'm thinking I'm going to finish my BA with IU then purse an MA with UM, after I get my PPL.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    meinschloss

--
    24 Dec 2010 02:11 AM
    On a side note, one of my shipmates has a Bachelors from another country and has been trying for quite some time now to get it equivalated to a US one. Even the CGI was telling him that he needed to pay several hundred dollars to have someone do that for him. I recommended he try seeing what AMU could do for him since I recently started classes toward my BA, and they really hooked him up. He's not getting charged to have them basically translate his current 5.0-scale degree into a US 4.0-scale degree.

I'm working on my BA in Homeland Security with them right now and sat down with the head of the Masters in Homeland Security at San Diego State University, and he said all the classes are legit and he was fairly impressed with them (for any of you concerned about an online degree).

Bottom line: Awesome customer service, free course materials for undergrad work, free education!
    riddellkye

--
    03 Nov 2011 10:24 AM
    Has anyone used AMU for their master's programs? I am a college grad and was curious about the master's program there for international relations or legal studies, with a concentration in international law. I wanted to at some point switch from Active Duty to Reserves and pursue a J.D. from a part-time law school. Its a lot to plan but I know I want to eventually work overseas. I speak Spanish and am learning Arabic, will soon be taking courses in either Korean or Mandarin Chinese.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    19 Nov 2011 03:30 PM
    We have a guy in our office that is about to finish up his masters from AMU and it is a completely different program as he explained to us. Alot more homeowkr and time to be in class. It is all still online but he spendss a good amount of tiem writing papers for his classes
    stonecold176

--
    20 Nov 2011 10:54 AM
    California University of PA is a State College that now offers on online Homeland Security BA. It is actually geared towards the military and is a regional, state and nationally accredited university. Their web site is www.calu.edu.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ClaytonR

--
    07 Jun 2012 03:33 AM
    So for those who are versed in AMU, Reserves, and the GI Bill...

Is AMU considered a correspondence course in the eyes of the GI Bill for Reserves? I am trying to plan out earning my degree, and paying for school, and from what I've found the GI Bill will only cover 55% of correspondence courses for reserves.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ClaytonR

--
    10 Jun 2012 12:12 PM
    Disregard my last...question was answered.
    kyuscgmom

--
    16 Jun 2012 02:09 PM
    My son recently let us know that he is going to begin his Homeland Security Degree through AMU. He was advised this is an excellent way to study and still be able to serve. My husband and I are excited that he has always taken the initiative to go to A-schools or join in whenever he can advance his knowledge in the Coast Guard. We keep getting mixed messages from military personnel about AMU. I am thankful to read positive feedback from these feeds. Our main concern is that AMU might not be accepted by the Federal Law Enforcement Units when he gets out of USCG in a couple of years. Right now he is almost 22 yrs. old P. O. 3rd Class International Maritime Law Enforcement. He graduated 3rd in his A-School class. He is a "go getter/no slacker" kid. Self discipline to do his work is not a concern. We want to make sure he is being led in the correct direction with his education. I feel fairly comfortable with AMU after checking out the site and reading the comments posted. Should anyone have any good advice or additional comments, please feel free to respond.

Thank you,

kyuscgmom

kyuscgmom
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ClaytonR

--
    17 Jun 2012 10:49 AM
    kyuscgmom,

I am a sheriff's deputy right now, and am pursuing a career in federal law enforcement. Most of what I have found online, says the feds accept AMU/APU. Probably a big part of it is the programs they offer, and the people who teach there.

An investigator I work with is pursuing her degree in Homeland Security from AMU. Another deputy I used to work with is pursuing his Master's from there. And an ICE agent who used to work at my department said a BA/BS is a BA/BS, no matter whether it's from Harvard or Dot-Com U.

Frankly, I don't think AMU/APU would still be so well-known if they'd screwed over their students.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    17 Jun 2012 11:25 AM
    I've taken classes at AMU and I can't stand the place. I'll be taking my credits and moving them over to a not-for-profit school this summer. The for-profit schools tend to give you credits without truly educating you. Such is the case with AMU. I've earned credits there and don't feel like I've learned a whole lot. ECU has a good online program that I'm looking at, and they're a not-for-profit university. The for-profit schools are mainly degree factories, and depending on the career path and potential employer you're dealing with, it could have some negative impacts on the applicant.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    17 Jun 2012 11:49 AM
    Cooch what is ECU?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Jun 2012 11:52 AM
    I'll go out on a limb... East Carolina University.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    17 Jun 2012 12:19 PM
    Sorry yes, East Carolina University. There are a lot of great not-for-profit schools out there that have online programs. Gears goes through Indiana University I believe. Don't get me wrong, some people get their degree through AMU and love it. For me personally, it's not a good fit. It's not anywhere near as bad as Phoenix though. They are the very definition of a degree factory. These investors find schools that are failing, and pump a ton of money into them to turn a profit rather than providing a quality education.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    kyuscgmom

--
    17 Jun 2012 06:41 PM
    Thanks all. It's about 50/50 on the reactions. Our oldest son will be going to med school soon and we are making our second trip to visit UNF for our youngest, who is a senior. My husband and I have a lot to wrap our brains around right now. Granted, it is for the good. I'm sure AMU is great for my CG son's field of study. I'm just being an overly analytical parent.

I appreciate the patience. Looking on AMU's site is not going to help. Your personal experiences weigh in much higher.

KYUSCGMOM
    kyuscgmom
    jorgea

--
    20 Jun 2012 01:10 PM
    You are making good use of your credits by attending AMU
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    20 Jun 2012 09:35 PM
    Uhhh... I dunno, to me as school when I was looking into it, seemed like a to good to be true type situation. Michigan State seriously makes me slave for my grades. I feel like I am in school, its just way harder becauae I can't sit in the class and take notes to know what I need for tests.

My last class blew. I had to read like 100 pages by wednesday every week, post something somewhat intelligent, respond to other students somewhat intelligent posts on fridays and take quizes every sunday. With papers and projects interjected throughout the semester just to make you cry. While i was also taking another class on criminal analysis. Holy fricken boring life. It made me want to switch degrees; I am so sick of learning about Criminal Justice.

Homeland security, response and prepardness though is really interesting. I would love to take more classes on it.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    21 Jun 2012 02:39 PM
    Gears goes through Indiana University I believe.

Yes I am. I've asked some of civilian friends who work for the corporate machine about degree programs and they all feel pretty much the same about degrees. When it comes to hiring a BS/BA is a BS/BA. When you have 2 similar candidates the school can matter. A degree from a brick and mortar school online or off (there is no difference) is held differently than a degree from a 100% online school. Kaplan U, U of Phoenix are seen as paper mills. In some cases Kaplan isn't even recognized as a degree granting institution. I looked into AMU, I've asked employers if they've ever heard of it. When I get a blank stare I know finishing at Indiana U is my best course of action right now.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    kyuscgmom

--
    07 Jul 2012 09:19 PM
    Okay,

Long time ICE Agent friend was happy to say AMU is tailor made for any Homeland Security type job. Naturally, the federal and state agencies are very aware of AMU. This agent carries many years of Homeland Security service and an AMU degree.

Wouldn't recommend it for other areas of study, such as a degree in Elementary Education. Like any university it has a specific area of expertise. Recommends: start early, take it as seriously as the daily CG duties, and fill out applications for jobs long before you will be finished with enlistment time. It can take up to two years for the right job to open up. Lastly, do not go for the glamorous Hollywood jobs. They pay least and are not as glittery as the movies make them look.

Hope this helps someone like this helped us. Normally we never talk about our friends job. Thankful for such a kind and generous friend, who serves so quietly.

KYUSCGMOM

"A real hero serves quietly"
    kyuscgmom
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement