Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
uniform regs and sunglasses
Last Post 13 Dec 2010 06:18 PM by husband. 35 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Trusted Member
E

--
03 Dec 2010 09:01 PM
    We've been getting hassled a lot when we go to sector for letting our sunglasses hang around our neck with the sunglasses string(no clue what it's called). I know it's not allowed to put them on your head, but i've been told around the neck inside is authorized. Is there anywhere to find if we can have them around the neck or if we have to take them off. There's a lot of made up rules/pet peeves people enforce that aren't in the regs. just curious. hope everyone has a good weekend.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    03 Dec 2010 09:22 PM
    Try the uniform regulations manual. That would be a good start.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    03 Dec 2010 10:29 PM
    CIM 1020.6F, section 2.A.1, Military Image: "Eyewear. Frame, lens, and contact lens styles will not be so outlandish as to cause distraction from military bearing. Mirrored lenses are prohibited. Retainer straps are authorized for foreign object damage (FOD) prevention and safety only. If retainer straps are required, they will be plain, black and worn snugly against the back of the head."
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    03 Dec 2010 10:36 PM
    so everyone that wears the loose ones (http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...99482&t=1) are out of the regs?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    03 Dec 2010 10:56 PM
    The way I read it, retainer straps (aka glasses keepers) "are authorized...for safety only." They only promote safety if they are worn tight enough to keep the glasses in place. Ergo, everyone with a loose retainer strap is out of regs.

Of course, it's not my opinion that matters...
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    04 Dec 2010 12:02 AM
    True Wep...but a good opinion none the less...
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    04 Dec 2010 05:32 AM
    Yeah, my guess is that the reg was originally written with those tight, black elastic bands in mind, the kind that basketball players and others used to keep their glasses from coming off while playing. The other kind, the loose string that older ladies use to "park" their sewing glasses, was probably not considered acceptable wear. However, fashions change and, like everything else in life, it's ok as long as nobody complains...
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    04 Dec 2010 08:44 AM
    Plain and simple, it is against regulation to hang your sunglasses around your neck.The straps are allowed so they don't fall off your head when you are underway. Fashion has nothing do to do with it and just because people don't complain doesn't mean it is authorized. If you are not wearing them, take the sunglasses off and put them in your pocket.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    04 Dec 2010 08:47 AM
    I said that, and very clearly so. The last statement was speculation about how a junior enlisted person might come to believe it was ok even though the regs clearly state it is not. You're barking up the wrong tree.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    04 Dec 2010 11:20 AM
    guess lots of people are in style but out of regs. I usually wear them only underway, nobody in the pb office says anything since everyone there wears them like this, but when you go to the sector they like to let you know. Ill take them off, good thing I didn't show up to btm school with them tomorrow.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    07 Dec 2010 05:47 AM

People that complain about crap like that have nothing better to do at work.  That's the kind of stuff that I can't stand; people nit-picking.  I wish people would mind their own damn business and do their job.  Who gives a crap if you put your sunglasses on top of your hat when you're not wearing them?  Someone told me one time that my keys on pants on a carabiner (sp?) are out-of-regs.

My point is, as long as you dont look like crap in your uniform, do you think the general public is going to look at me with my keys on my carabiner on my beltloop, or E's aviators (LOL) hanging around his neck and say, "Jeez, the CG looks unprofessional in their uniforms"; I think not. 

Just my two-pennies on the subject.  It just grinds my gears when someone says something like that to someone.  My guess is that they are saying something to you because you don't have crows.  I bet they wouldn't tell a BM1 that his sunglasses were out-of-regs because they're around his neck.  But I could be wrong.

*end rant*

Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    07 Dec 2010 06:30 AM
    You could be real wrong. I have seen first get in trouble for small stuff just like anyone else. Don't get me wrong sunglasses or keys that is a little out there if the glasses are in regs

I saw a girl in the galleythis morning wearing a pink ponytail and her hair was way down past here collar. This is something that chaps me because if I have to shave everyday. You should be able to put your hair up in regs.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    07 Dec 2010 08:42 AM

southern:

Don't get me wrong, I agree with the hair/shaving regulations (even though it seems like EVERYONE has "facial dermatits" and gets a shaving chit nowadays), I'm just talking about "those people" that have nothing better to do except cruise through the uniform regulations maunal and gripe at you for wearing white socks, or in this case, having your sunglasses in the improper place.  If it is something that will make the Coastie look unprofessional, or brings discredit upon the uniform, by all means, they should be informed.  but if it's something that most other military members wouldn't even recognize, much less a civilian, just let it slide.  it's not that big of a deal

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    07 Dec 2010 10:20 AM
    So, Jeremy, what you are saying is that the Coast Guard is not a military service after all? Because I sure as hell don't remember being able to ignore the regulations I didn't agree with...
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    07 Dec 2010 11:17 AM

Wep,

Negative, i'm not saying that at all.  I'm saying that there is no need to point out something that isn't causing a problem.  It just rubs me the wrong way when people do that.  If someone wants to pull someone that is out of regs aside, then so be it.  There is no reason to make a scene out of it.  I'm saying that the people that "look" for things that are wrong just so that they can point out that they "know" CIM's and regulations better than a junior person, that's all.  I wear my black socks and put my sunglasses in my pocket like i'm supposed to.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    07 Dec 2010 11:40 AM
    I see. Thanks!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    07 Dec 2010 02:12 PM
    While we are on the topic of sunglasses regs, I have several pairs of sunglasses with blue-mirror lenses (really good lenses for being on the water). Im assuming they will not be permitted while in uniform? Are you only allowed black lenses?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    07 Dec 2010 02:26 PM
    I quoted the reg above. Unfortunately for you, "so outlandish as to cause distraction from military bearing" is very much in the eye of the beholder. I can't see anybody objecting to the frames but I could easily see someone objecting to the blue lenses, especially in a formation. I'll let others comment on whether they would be ok at boot - my guess is not. Once you get assigned to your first unit, you could ask your supervisor about them.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    07 Dec 2010 02:35 PM
    Oh I definitely wasn't planning on bringing them to BC. I was curious about when I get to my unit. My recruiter said its really up to the command, although the reg's say no mirror-finish.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see...
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    07 Dec 2010 02:59 PM
    Husband, can you please provide me a guide to which military regs we can choose to blow off and which ones we should follow? If people can't follow the small easy regs what does that say about the really hard ones.

It isn't a matter of nitpicking or having nothing better to do. It is having proper military bearing and doing the right thing whether anyone else would notice or not. Attention to detail is extremely important in our business and if you can't even keep your uniform straight we have a problem.

You are so wrong about things not being pointed out to senior members. In fact, they get it worse. I have seen O-6's get corrected. In fact, I have made those corrections when necessary. Setting the example is important. There are only three reasons not to follow regs. Either you don't know the regs, you are ignoring the regs, or you are making a decision go against regs to save a life. The first two are unacceptable and the third still requires you to explain yourself when the task is done. Even if you save a life that deviation from the reg may get you in trouble.

With that said, you are right that there are ways to address it and yelling at someone is usually not the right way to go about it but telling someone they are out of regs is absolutely appropriate and necessary.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    07 Dec 2010 03:20 PM
    +1 Sardaddy!
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    07 Dec 2010 03:23 PM
    Im with Sardaddy on this. I saw an 0-6 get called out in a mast for having the wrong size shoulder boards on. Then also another person for not caring about his uniform in a mast. If you think getting yelled at over something small just walking around wait until you are in front of the green table cloth and then get yelled at and lets see how you feel then.

Like i said i myself am not going to nick pick because it isnt my place. There is a reason i do know the regs and know how to follow them.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    USCGforMe

--
    08 Dec 2010 04:02 PM
    I agree with Sardaddy...

Put yourself in a boat, or even more so in a helo, and have on person miss a weekly or monthly PMS on something. Have that item fail because it was overlooked, and then fall out of the sky or end up as a shipwreck somewhere. We are taught to do the little things exactly as we are told for a reason. It isn't always cool, hip, or fun...but usually there is a reason behind it.

In regards to glasses on the head - where in the reg does it say that they can not be on your head? I always hear a E-5 and an E-6 at my unit going back and forth about people wearing sunglasses atop their head. I've never been able to find it in the regs. I have a habit of throwing them on top of my head, and due to our mission we always have to wear them (PPE). I've since broken the habit by putting them in my pockets...but when you do anything on a black hull, stuff in your pockets gets ruined quick.

Thanks in advance!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    09 Dec 2010 06:48 AM
    Back on topic for a minute.  According to the uniform regulations, it states that retainer straps are to be used for FOD prevention and safety only.  The only thing the manual says about "eyewear" is that it cannot be mirrored or "so outlandish as to cause distraction from military bearing".  It doesn't say anything about wearing them around your neck (except with a retainer strap, which you could say using the strap to keep them around your neck is "safer" than keepign them on your hat when not wearing them, because they would be less apt to fall off with a retainer strap), or on your cover while in uniform.

THIS is the kind of stuff that i'm trying to describe.  People will say, "Don't wear your sunglasses on your cover."  Nowhere in the Uniform Regulations manual does it say you cannot wear them anywhere you want.  The regulations only state that they are to not be mirrored or outlandish.  I see people all the time wearing those stupid 80's looking Ray Bans.  Are they in regulations, yes, according to the manual.  But do they look stupid in uniform?  Yes. 

How many of you that disagree with me HONESTLY do NOT speed EVER?  Or use your blinker every time you change lanes?  

I'm not saying it's OK to "ignore" some regs, I just do not like how some people go about in "informing" people of their mistakes.  And there are some people around, not just in the armed services, that just for lack of a better word, "gripe to gripe".  They enjoy the fact that they know the regulations.  You can nicely inform someone if they are out of regs, but no one has to make it it a big charade.  When E says he's been getting "hassled a lot", that makes me believe that people have made a big deal about something small and petty.

I agree with E 100% when he says that there are a lot of made up rules that people enforce.  Nobody's perfect.

I'm not trying to start an argument or flame war, just stating my opinion.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    09 Dec 2010 11:00 AM
    if you think they are wrong ask them to show you in the manual then.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    09 Dec 2010 11:13 AM

When a CPO or CO or anyone else in the organization who outranks you asks you to remove your sunglasses, mink stoll, etc from your uniform... are you honeslty going to ask them to show you the regs in the manual? Husband, I realize it chaps your ass, it does mine too. But, sometimes the best course of action is to respsond with an Aye Aye, and move along.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    09 Dec 2010 11:53 AM
    It is fairly straight forward. In the beginning of the manual it states;

This Manual is written in the permissive form; meaning this Manual
    describes uniforms and items that are authorized for wear and the manner of wearing. It is
    neither intended nor possible to describe the wide variety of clothing and pseudo uniforms
    that are not authorized, although some prohibitions are included to clarify understanding. No
    deviation from the guidance of this Manual is authorized.

With that being said;

Frame, lens, and contact lens styles will not be so outlandish as to
    cause distraction from military bearing. Mirrored lenses are
    prohibited. Retainer straps are authorized for foreign object damage
    (FOD) prevention and safety only. If retainer straps are required,
    they will be plain, black and worn snugly against the back of the
    head.

by reviewing both sections, it is surmised that the wear of glasses, whether on the hat or around the neck, is prohibited. The only authorized place for the glasses are on the face and a strap to be used when required. The command will determine when "required" applies.

These regulations define the composition of authorized uniforms and appearance
    standards. Coast Guard uniforms are distinctive visual evidence of the authority
    and responsibility vested in their wearer by the United States. The prescribing
    authority determines when and where the uniforms in this Manual are appropriate
    for wear. Coast Guard personnel must present a proud, professional, and
    consistent appearance that will reflect positively on the individual, the Coast
    Guard, and the United States. All personnel will comply with these regulations
    and serve as a positive example (A mentor) for the proper wearing of Coast Guard
    uniforms. Exemplary military appearance should be the norm for uniformed
    personnel.

It is very straightforward. If out of uniform, expect to get called out on it. If it is an ongoing problem with more than one person, expect a public admonishment to help your shipmates as well.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    09 Dec 2010 01:07 PM
    Posted By Gears on 09 Dec 2010 11:13 AM

When a CPO or CO or anyone else in the organization who outranks you asks you to remove your sunglasses, mink stoll, etc from your uniform... are you honeslty going to ask them to show you the regs in the manual? Husband, I realize it chaps your ass, it does mine too. But, sometimes the best course of action is to respsond with an Aye Aye, and move along.

Gears:  I agree with you 100%, and that's what I do.  Doesn't mean I have to agree with it though
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    09 Dec 2010 03:58 PM
    No i will do what im told but if i think they are in the wrong i will do what im told to do then inform my supervisor and ask him if they knwo where it might be.

If it is the CO i will do whatever as for the fact that they make the base uniform manual tha tcan be stricter then the regular uniform manual
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    09 Dec 2010 04:36 PM
    rules are rules and the uniform regs are there for a reason. I try to avoid keeping them in my pockets because they always get scratched. I thought the band was a professional way to keep my sunglasses scratch free. I should show up with the BC bands all tight against my head lol. They should make a RE rating, Rules Enforcer. Too many people trying to enforce their own rules. A simple aye aye and comply isn't a big deal for me and i'll continue to do it.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement