Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Legitimate Question, I don't know the answer
Last Post 13 Mar 2016 12:16 PM by MastersMate. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
24 Dec 2010 09:36 AM
    The Army, the Marines & the Air Force, their O-6 bird faces right.  The Navy & the CG, their O-6 bird faces left.  WHY?!?!?!?!  I just figured O-6 bird is O-6 bird!  Anyone know???  I'm curious.  Thanks.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    24 Dec 2010 02:52 PM
    Someone needs to keep an eye on the left flank

I have no idea, Macie
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CablesMom

--
    24 Dec 2010 08:00 PM
    I asked an 'expert' (not my son, lol) and this is what he said:
    "It depends on what uniform is being worn. On the dress uniforms for Marines, Navy, and Air Force the eagle's beak is always facing forward as the insignia is being worn on the shoulders. On the collars of Navy Khakis, Marine Corps uniforms, and the CG's work uniforms the eagle should always be facing forward as well. So there should always be alternating eagles."

Did that answer the question? I like Pepperdoggie's answer better.
    Proud Coastie Mom
    oldanchors

--
    03 Jan 2011 11:42 AM
    how to tell a right arm rate-new question-becare full i know the answere.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    XShipRider

--
    13 Jan 2011 04:20 PM
    In 1920 the Coast Guard adopted the US Navy ranks and rating scheme. Rating badges had the eagle facing the viewers right, those of the old Seaman Branch: Boatswains Mate, Quartermaster, Signalman, Gunners Mate, Fire Controlman, Torpedoman were worn on the right arm, all others on the left arm. I was asked a similar question during a one-on-one at my CPO initiation. I didn't know the answer and it cost me...So, I looked it up afterward.

Am I right?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 Jan 2011 06:21 PM
    No one ever forgets a question that they failed at their Chief initiation! I will accept that answer totally. I honestly did not know the answer! I wondered.

I worked the contract postal unit on Kodiak. I knew a lot of people!!! Well a certain HS1 stopped by my window at lunch. He left. Well guess what I had?? His book!!! I called over to medical and asked for Chief XX, they laughed and paged him to the phone. Well you know darn well he didn't answer, they paged again, he didn't answer. They paged HS XX and he picked right up. I told him it was me, I was closing the postal window and going to the Air Sta... I was putting his book on the next flight out, he had better beat me there before the signatures began! He screamed like a little girl and I got some good non-rate signatures before he showed up at my job to reclaim his book.

I believe it was that same initiation time... They brought one poor guy to the post office to see if I had a stamp that said "Perished" or "Spoiled"... they had him dressed like a halibut and they stuffed the costume with bits & pieces. Oh it was disgusting! LOL

The good old days... I hear they don't do anything even remotely close to that anymore.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    oldanchors

--
    14 Jan 2011 08:02 PM
    well if you looked it up where did you find it?
    'tradition was-right arm (deck)/left arm (support) all crows faced forward.as we broke from naval tradition
    (who were numb about the shield,lower right arm),late 40's all were converted to port arm display.Oldanchors
    MastersMate

--
    13 Mar 2016 12:16 PM
    Good Morning, new member here, but have been on other sites. I am not as grouchy as I may appear.

From heraldry, the eagle should face to its right, called Dexter, towards the sword arm. Facing it left is called Sinister and gets into a whole lot of rules concerning coats of arms, But I digress a bit.

From the 1900 Revenue cutter service uniform regs, the first mention of an eagle as part of the rating badge is mentioned. Borrowed from the USN, the eagle faced to its left. The rating badge was worn on either sleeve, depending on which watch you were assigned to.

By the time the CG was established in 1915, the USN established the system of right and left arm ratings.  The CG adopted all ratings to be worn on the right arm.

After the Pay Act of 1920 that made CG ratings and USN ratings the same. The CG shifted to right arm, seaman branch ratings and left arm ratings, engineer and artificer and special branch ratings.

In 1940, the rating badge was changed so that both right and left faced forward, symbolizing ready to face the enemy,

Bit long winded for a first post. I kind of took up a hobby of being able to trace the lineage all CG ratings and uniforms back to about 1829..
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement