Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Traffic tickets after MEPS, but prior to DEP
Last Post 04 Apr 2019 09:12 AM by Old Guard2. 15 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
ambientemmissions

--
27 Dec 2010 11:37 AM
    I have a concern I hope you knowledgeable people can shed some light on. It's been some time since I've been on here due to time constraints, but I just finished my fall semester at college. I passed the two classes I could afford and am now only 9 more credits away from having my required 15. Herein lies my problem. I didn't know traffic tickets can pose a problem to enlistment. My record was good prior to going to MEPS, but a couple months after I got slapped with 3 tickets, the last two a few months after the first. Two were out of my hands. The first one was for speeding 10 over on a street I wasn't familiar with. I don't have a heavy foot, I just didn't know the limit. I paid that one. It was around a 150 dollar fine. The second one was for going 20 over. I had no choice though. I just started my job and I was on probation. One tardy equals termination. They are that strict and I woke up late after going to the gym and studying all the night before. I actually slept straight through my alarm. I had to rush to get to work as it's on the other side of town. That one is scheduled for court in Febuary. I'm getting a traffic attorney since it's the more serious of the 3. Hopefully I can get it dismissed or kept off my record. The last one was for making a right too soon at a red light. It was 2 AM, I was tired, coming home from work and should've waited a few more seconds. I got that fine reduced to 1 dollar since I used to work for the city I got it in, but court costs raised it to about 100 dollars. I paid it too. So, only the speeding 20 over remains. I've been trying to reach my recruiter to update him on everything, but it looks like it will be tough like all the times before. I will keep trying, but in the meantime, can you all tell me if this will ruin my chances of getting into the service and becoming an AST? Thanks! You all have been an invaluable resource for information.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    27 Dec 2010 11:43 AM
    These could very well be an issue. Only your recruiter will have the answers for you. You can not have any court pending. and you can have no open fines. Regardles of the plea down, it was still a ticket and will be counted against you.

I wish you the best of luck.

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ambientemmissions

--
    27 Dec 2010 12:27 PM
    Thanks, Chuckles. I apologize if this is a topic that has been posted before, but I'm on the site via my phone and unable to search the forum. I usually check first. My blackberry is ancient.

You said it could be a problem. Is it a possibility that it could be a situation that is overlooked considering how much effort I'm putting into getting in? My entire life for the past year has been about getting into the Coast Guard. Every single thing I've been doing can pretty much be traced back to my desire to get in. I seriously can't imagine life if I couldn't get in. I would go in with a huge cut in salary. I'll scrub toilets until I can get into A school. As funny as this may sound, I mean it.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    27 Dec 2010 12:58 PM
    It will be not overlooked. You must notify your recruiter. If you don't and the last checks come back and show the tickets, you are looking at major issues. Get with your recruiter asap. If you are under time constraint, get with the recruiter in charge via email (found on gocoastguard.com website).

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    kvo_8

--
    27 Dec 2010 01:08 PM
    I got a speeding ticket a few months ago, I was doing 93 in a 65 lol. But I told my recruiter and he said it was fine as long as I got it handled before I left for boot. About a month and some change later, I had to go DEP in at MEPS and it became a big issue because I took it to one of those ticket lawyers and I had no idea if it was cleared yet..they weren't going to let me DEP in if it was not cleared. Well, after an hour of trying to get a hold of the ticket office and have them fax the papers, they said it was cleared just the day before. I got very lucky. Just make sure everything is handled and cleared before you DEP in or ship off, which ever comes first.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ambientemmissions

--
    27 Dec 2010 01:16 PM
    Sorry, I wasn't clear enough about wondering if the tickets could be overlooked. What I meant was once I inform my recruiter about them if there's still a chance they'll let me into the service. I would never purposely hide things and decieve my recruiter, especially after all he's done for me. I want him to have all his bases covered when it comes to my case. I will try e-mailing him tomorrow, but I feel like I'm "being lazy" by just e-mailing, plus he has never responded to me via e-mail before. I know I have the right e-mail address too, because he forwarded me the address for e-qip from it. I guess we'll see what happens.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    bikesnotscott

--
    27 Dec 2010 01:19 PM
    ambientemmissions,

I know how you feel about wanting nothing else. I was in your position earlier this summer, I used to have gauged ears and after all my hard work my recruiter told me I was disqualified. When I left the office I was dizzy and felt like my world was over, but I wouldn't admit defeat. As soon as I got home I called up a plastic surgeon and got information about skin grafting. One week later I was stitched up and knocking back on my recruiters door and he was speechless. A month later I DEPed in.

Like Chuckles said, get with your recruiter and work diligently on getting it resolved.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ambientemmissions

--
    27 Dec 2010 01:20 PM
    Thanks, kvo_8 and bikesnotscott for your input. That makes me feel a little better, lol. Congratulations on you two making it in and props for your hard work. I'm sure it wasn't a walk in the park. I'm certainly envious of you two.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    27 Dec 2010 04:26 PM
    Ambient...almost everyone gets a ticket or two, it is the ones with 9, 15, 20 or more tickets that should be looked at very carefully...get them squared away as soon as you can...you do not want any warrants out for your arrest, that would be bad. Slow down, leave earlier, keep your recruiter updated and please stay focused on your goal...you shall achieve it if you do.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Old Guard2User is Online
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Dec 2010 08:50 AM
    Off track just a bit but KVO... 93 in a 65 does not get an LOL. It gets a "You could have killed yourself or worse some innocent family with your total disregard to safety and rules." I'm not saying I don't go 68 in a 65 but 93... I'm sure the number is on my speedometer but the needle will never reach it. That isn't an LOL situation. Ask Capt how many accidents he may have responded to for people with excessive speed wiping out... it is NEVER a laughable or pretty incident. My father is also a retired fire fighter... there have been accidents like that where veteran fireman, first aiders, police were vomiting on the side of the road because of the destruction caused by someone thinking their souped up little car can get away with it.

Sorry... but LOL was just overboard for me.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    kvo_8

--
    28 Dec 2010 09:32 AM
    im not perfect and dont claim to be. we all have been speeding at one point or another for one reason or another. I was rushing somewhere and i got caught. i didnt say that it was safe or cool, i was giving ambient an example from my personal experience with details on my ticket.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    28 Dec 2010 03:55 PM
    Too many Macie...yes indeed too many!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Madmark22

--
    03 Apr 2019 08:21 PM
    Do paid off speeding tickets come up on security clearance background check?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    03 Apr 2019 09:56 PM
    When you pay off a speeding ticket that means you plead guilty to speeding so yes it would show up.
    Madmark22

--
    04 Apr 2019 08:21 AM
    Okay, thanks for the information. I gave my recruiter a copy of my ticket, and proof that I paid it off. She said I'm good to go. However I thought I would have needed a waiver, but she said I don't... Is she just being lazy on the paperwork side of things??? If I don't need a waiver, isn't there anything else that I need to do or update that my recruiter hasn't told me about???
    Old Guard2User is Online
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Apr 2019 09:12 AM
    Do you really think your recruiter is lying to you and just sitting back, ready to laugh when you needed something and she failed to tell you about it?? That's what they do you know. They invest time, money, energy and just can't wait for you to fail. That's truly ridiculous. What did your recruiter tell you? That's what you need to do and it sounds like you've already done what was needed.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement