Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
March 1st 2011
Last Post 27 Feb 2011 11:55 AM by teckfall. 87 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>
Author Messages
jabberwookie

--
04 Jan 2011 06:46 PM
    I leave from Los Angeles on Feb. 28. Anyone else joining me?
    chekkers0

--
    07 Jan 2011 08:05 AM
    You are leaving from LA on the 28th? Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the actual date should be March 1 because BC starts on Tuesday's not Mondays. Just looking for clarification that's all.
    jabberwookie

--
    07 Jan 2011 12:02 PM
    Yeah, the actual start date is March 1st. They just send us out of here a day early because it's a long way to travel. Sorry for the confusion.
    teckfall

--
    07 Jan 2011 08:05 PM
    I will see you at Cape May. I'm coming from Long Island New York
    jabberwookie

--
    09 Jan 2011 11:32 AM
    Nice! I was starting to wonder if I was the only one. Are you nervous yet? How's the PT coming?
    teckfall

--
    09 Jan 2011 01:08 PM
    Lol I was thinking the same thing. The pt is coming along fortunately we still have a month and a half. How is the pt going for yourself. Also I'm more excited then nervous, but that will probally change when we get a little closer.
    jabberwookie

--
    09 Jan 2011 03:42 PM
    Haha...I started getting really nervous/excited after I got back from visiting my family for the holidays. PT is going pretty well for me. My bf is a former Marine, so he's been really helpful. I'm still working on upper body strength, but like you said, we still have time.
    teckfall

--
    09 Jan 2011 04:32 PM
    I really need to study my required knowledge. And where would u like to get stationed
    Fanboy22

--
    09 Jan 2011 07:46 PM
    ME TOO! leaving from LA! whats this required knowledge? im super nervous PT is going well for me been working on running swimming etc for 4 months lost 30 pounds so far.
    teckfall

--
    09 Jan 2011 07:50 PM
    Like the 11 general orders and good job with the weight lost
    Fanboy22

--
    09 Jan 2011 08:02 PM
    and where would i happen to find those ha!
    teckfall

--
    09 Jan 2011 08:14 PM
    Did your recruiter give you the helmsman book. The general orders would be in there with other usefull info for you, like what to bring to bc
    Fanboy22

--
    09 Jan 2011 09:14 PM
    no havn't received that yet meeting with her sometime this week.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Jan 2011 06:48 AM
    You can google the helmsman or 11 general orders or CG motto, things like that.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Fanboy22

--
    10 Jan 2011 07:14 AM
    good idea thanks old guard!
    jabberwookie

--
    10 Jan 2011 11:45 AM
    My recruiter hasn't given me a Helmsman yet either, but I downloaded the pdf: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/capemay/docs...mannew.pdf

I haven't had much opportunity to practice with swimming (can't afford a gym membership currently), but I grew up in Florida and I am a pretty strong swimmer, so I'm not too concerned there. I am hoping to get stationed somewhere near a city so my bf can keep working in his current field, but besides that I'm not picky. Top of the list would be San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, NYC, or Baltimore. From what I understand it's pretty much a crapshoot, so I just have to stay open-minded.

How about you guys? Any station preferences? What are your goals for A-School? I'm mostly looking at BM, AET, GM, and ME, but I figure I'll be able to make the right decision after doing my time as a non-rate.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Jan 2011 12:14 PM
    Keep in mind one thing... Large cities = large rent payments. A bf is not a dependent and he will be on his own to find & maintain a place to live. You may or moy not be able to live with him from the start. Most non-rates are required to live aboard ship (if large enough for permanent birthing). Some places may not release you from the barracks as a non-rate if they are available because why should the military give you BAH money when there is a perfectly good, already paid for barracks room with your name on it. Traveling with non-dependent bf/gf type relationships develop into very sticky situations. I would never push someone into a marriage, you have to do it when it is right for you, I have been with my boyfriend almost 15 years and I still say "Some day... maybe." But please consider ALL alternatives prior to him moving to follow you!

Please, this is not a slam, a dig or an intentional put down... I just don't want you to go into this with eyes wide shut and be surprised by the turnout. I want you to know there can be & are issues when a couple isn't a couple in the eyes of the law (marriage). OK... I'm not trying to offend. It is genuine concern for you, him & your checkbooks!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    jabberwookie

--
    10 Jan 2011 01:07 PM
    You're so right there, OldGuard. As someone else suggested elsewhere in this forum, we are seriously considering getting the legal paperwork taken care of with a judge and having a ceremony with our families later. We have been together so long, that it's really just a matter of making it official, and I feel like that will make things a lot less complicated down the road, especially if I get sent to Kodiak or Guam or something
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Jan 2011 01:35 PM
    Jim & I married when I went to visit him for a week in Kodiak. The whole judge & witnesses thing. He had already been there about 4 months so he had friends. I was there 4 days, I knew no one. Two of his friends, can't even remember their names, stood up as our witnesses, his Chief's wife had a little "wedding reception" for us, we even got a couple of presents & she made us a cake. We were married on a Thursday, Sunday I flew back to NJ and didn't see Jim again until November when we got re-married, in the church, in front of family, friends & God. We had the reception, the cake, the dancing, the music... everything and not a soul knew we were already married. However, getting BAH started, getting our household goods (HHG) moved, getting our car shipped to Alaska... everything was a piece of cake because we were married.

So you can completely do the "legal" thing and then later on do the "wedding" thing and really have fun & enjoy both days! You don't even have to tell anyone about the "legal" one and just keep that as a completely personal anniversary only the 2 of you share. There is something sexy & romantic about that sort of little secret. Plus 2 presents a year from your hubby! How wonderful is that.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    teckfall

--
    10 Jan 2011 06:05 PM
    I would like to get stationed somewhere warmish thinking like georgia. Yes I know it just snowed there lol. As for A school I got some time but I am leaning towards AMT, MK, BM, ME, or MST. So yea I'm kind of all over the place. But me getting to see all the rates is one of the things that drawn me into the coast guard.
    teckfall

--
    19 Jan 2011 12:04 PM
    I just dep'ed yesterday so I am very excited
    jabberwookie

--
    19 Jan 2011 01:04 PM
    I dep'd yesterday too! It took forever because all the other branches were shipping out tons of people, but I got to meet a couple other Coastie recruits. Normally, I'm the only one there.
    teckfall

--
    19 Jan 2011 03:40 PM
    The couple of times I've gone there has been about 10 coasties there each time
    Sangamon

--
    23 Jan 2011 09:59 AM
    @ Old Guard: That's actually what my (now) wife and I just did, glad to know it worked out. Not to be off topic, but how well does married life work in the CG? Oh, and big hello from Texas, I look forward to meeting you all (not y'all) at BC. BTW, how old is everyone? Am I going to be a geezer at 25?
    jabberwookie

--
    23 Jan 2011 12:38 PM
    I'm turning 24 in June, so I'm not too far behind you Sangamon.
    teckfall

--
    23 Jan 2011 01:08 PM
    I'm still older
    Sangamon

--
    24 Jan 2011 03:16 PM
    Groovy, I see... Nothing against you whippersnappers out there

So, why is everyone here joining?
    jabberwookie

--
    24 Jan 2011 04:26 PM
    I've been unemployed since last March, and I was looking to make a positive change in my life. After looking into a lot of different options (including other service branches), I landed on the Coast Guard as the right choice for me.
    malonebp

--
    27 Jan 2011 07:39 AM
    Hey guys, I'll see you there. Leaving from Cleveland, Ohio.
    Sangamon

--
    27 Jan 2011 09:22 AM
    The job hunt can be a terrible thing Jabber, it can really grate on you as a person. So I give a lot of props to you for never abandoning higher goals at that time. See ya at cape may!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 3123 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement