Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Moving Question - When after bootcamp?
Last Post 03 Mar 2011 09:39 AM by gunnybrian. 18 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
nengland

--
06 Jan 2011 03:35 PM

Do the movers have to come immediately after bootcamp? If my wife wanted to wait a couple months could she postpone it and meet up with me then?

Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    06 Jan 2011 03:48 PM
    Yes she can.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    nengland

--
    06 Jan 2011 04:04 PM
    Great! Thanks chukles.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Browns24

--
    07 Jan 2011 04:57 AM
    Just remember to put your wife down as a person who can allow the company to pick up and drop off the HHG (house hold goods)
    fsuscg

--
    07 Jan 2011 09:43 PM
    What about the car? Do they ship your car wherever you are as well?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 Jan 2011 07:57 AM
    Yes & no... They will actually ship your car for you if you are going outCONUS to Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, anywhere but the contiguous 48 states & of course if you are already out and returning (ie Kodiak to New Orleans) they will ship your car for you. If you are going from Tampa, Florida to Bellingham, Washington you are on your own. Now, they will pay you to drive your vehicle but they will not put it on a truck and get it there for you. They do give you extra time if you are driving for travel time to a station.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    fsuscg

--
    08 Jan 2011 03:32 PM
    Thank you Old Guardd2 Sfor the clarification. This is all so new to us. What does outCONUS mean?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    08 Jan 2011 04:21 PM
    Outside the continental 48 states. Alaska. Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam etc are outconus.
    fsuscg

--
    10 Jan 2011 10:15 PM
    Thank you pepperdoggie. I have another question. After my son comes home for 5 days and he goes to his first station, when he gets there, where is he going to sleep? The area will be new to him, how will he get a place to live if he does not know the place? Where are the things that the movers will take if he will not have a place? This is really worrying me.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Jan 2011 05:31 AM
    He will sleep on the corner closest to the station until he figures it out. No, I'm teasing you that is how silly it is to worry about that. If he is assigned to a ship, he will have a berthing spot on the boat, if he is at a station and barracks are available, they will know he is coming and his room will be waiting for him. If there is nothing available (there is almost always some sort of temp berthing for a night or two) he will get 10 days (in a hotel) to find a place to live if there aren't government leased quarters for them.

Now as far as the movers... unless he is married, there will probably be no movers involved. Colin was assigned to a 270 out of boot camp. He got a rack on the ship and a storage area of about 12x12. He went with his seabag, some spare civilian clothes, a pillow, 2 towels and a new blanket. That was about it. Plus how much stuff could he have at 18 or 19 years old??? It isn't like he owns a 9 room furnished colonial home in the suburbs! LOL That would be really impressive if he did.

These are things not to worry about. The CG not only takes care of their own while in boot camp, they take care of their own at each & every duty station, too. They get sponsors and that sponsor knows the area, can answer questions, can help find things including places to live. I hate to say this... but this is now his life, his "worries" but you will find even he really won't be worried about it. They will show him just about everything he needs to know while he is in Cape May. And also, worrying about any of it right now, before you even know where he is going, is all just wasted energy on your part. There is nothing you can do to "pre-rent" him a place because you have no idea where the winds may send him. So sit back, take a deep breath and just let all of this happen around you... no worrying is going to help or change. And many, many, MANY young men & women Coasties have managed all of this just fine and many more will be along after your son graduates boot camp!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    11 Jan 2011 06:04 AM
    +1 Old Guard.

fsuscg- I know it's a parent's job to worry about your children, but rest assured the Coast Guard will take very good care of your son. When he gets home from Cape May you will see a dramatic change in your son. He will be much more self-confident, he will be a much more independent young man armed with a ton of knowledge and will be more than ready to conquer the adventures that are on his horizon. Almost every parent is amazed by the transformation. As Macie said, the CG will assign him berthing or make other arrangements for his well being. The Coast Guard is a great big family that takes care of its own. Relax and enjoy the transformation.

It's okay to worry (a little)...it's your job!
    fsuscg

--
    11 Jan 2011 07:29 AM
    Thank you for all your information. It makes me feel a lot better. He has never been on his own and I am a bit over protective (not that you guys haven't noticed lol) It makes me feel so much better knowing about the mentor, because I was worried about him not knowing the area, specially how things are now.
    I have noticed by this forum how the Coast Guard is a great big family because this forum is a blessing in the skies. I visit it all the time and it is amazing how many parents have the same concern and feel the same and how you guys give us comfort with your words, because you have been there before. Hopefully one day I will be able to help someone like you help us everyday.
    He does not have a huge amount of things because like you said he is only 18, well, 19 the day after he leaves to BC, but he has a few electronics that he wants to take with him like his TV, Music equipment, PS3, things like that.
    Thanks again and God Bless!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Jan 2011 08:23 AM
    If he is on a ship... he will not be taking that stuff. There is no room for a TV and there is a TV lounge on the boat. Music equipment... Colin OWNS 7 guitars. He has 1 with him in Boston. An accoustic he tucks away in some corner in the paint shop and it needs no amp, ne electric, no nothing, just him plucking away. So depending upon what type of music equipment, not gonna fly on a ship! PS3, again... boat life, no room. Colin's ship has a Wii and an xbox I think.

Now if he gets a station, space may be more liberal and he can take some of that. Just hang on and wait to see where his orders send him. Then you can start making decisions about stuff to take and not to take. I live in a 3 bedroom house, I moved from Texas to Wisconsin, Colin still has a bedroom in the house because his stuff is still living with me, even if he isn't! I know you aren't going to put your sons belongings out on the curb when he leaves.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    fsuscg

--
    11 Jan 2011 09:16 AM
    Hi, I know if he is on a ship he will not be able to take it, but if he is not going to be on a ship I wanted an idea as to what to expect. I hate to be unprepared. This is a whole new experience to us and have absolutely no idea what to expect. Thank God for you guys that are so wise and helpful and keep is informed.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Browns24

--
    11 Jan 2011 09:39 AM
    I'll have to give my two cents here, if he is on a ship, he will be able to have his PS3 with him and TV depending on the size. It's better to wait till he's there and then ship them but when I was on my 378', I had a DVD player, TV and Xbox hooked up into my rack, so it is possible, you'll just have to wait and see where he is stationed.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Jan 2011 09:46 AM
    The military is a sequence of unpreparedness. Take for example... We were living in New Orleans. We were short touring out and we wanted to go back to Alaska. Jim tells the detailer, Alaska, we don't care where, Alaska. One & only choice. OK, a couple of weeks goes by, detailer calls, we are going to Governor's Island, NY. That is just off the southern tip of Manhattan, the base is closed now. It is a gorgeous base, close to all of our family and right there in the heart of NYC! We should be thrilled, we were sad. We wanted to go back to Alaska. OK, so switch up gears a bit... we are going to NY. Call our families, everyone is thrilled, the baby (Colin) was 3 at the time. Everyone will have their grandbaby/grand nephew close, we can be home now for holidays, we can host holidays, life is grand. We start to adapt and get happier about everything. Jim's hard copy orders show up on his desk... Chief of Marine Inspections, Valdez, Alaska. We aren't going to NY, we are going to Alaska, tell the family we aren't coming home, start looking at the clothes and cars again to see what might be more appropriate now that we are headed back to Alaska.

When Jim was a 1st Class Petty Officer, we got orders to Cape Cod, Mass from Kodiak. We were thrilled! Jim's replacement reported in, a new LT reported in, Jim got accepted to OCS. We never made the Cape, he went to Yorktown, VA, I moved home to NJ for 4 months. We never did get to Cape Cod.

The military is full of unknowns. Nothing you can do will ever prepare you for what is coming next. I scheduled a vacation at a VERY busy time from work because I wanted to watch Colin's ship sail out of Boston Harbor. My boss wasn't happy but I agreed to work remotely on Sunday from Boston to get stuff prepared for a massive change om Monday... so, it was my son, I wanted to be there. The ship had a mechanical problem, I flew out Monday night at 6pm back to Dallas, the ship left port at 7am on Tuesday. I missed it. Again, prepare, prepare, prepare... watch the rug slip right out from under your feet.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    nengland

--
    11 Jan 2011 10:11 AM
    If my wife stays behind a couple months then how is BAH calculated? Is it still the rate of having a dependent?

Do I get the amount based on where I go and then she gets the remainder?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Browns24

--
    11 Jan 2011 04:11 PM
    You will get the BAH amount of where your duty station is located no matter if she is with or without you. You can then divide up the money as you see fit. Yes its still at the dependent rate.
    gunnybrian

--
    03 Mar 2011 09:39 AM
    So my husband is in Boot Camp right now. He graduates the 25th of this month. We were originally planning on doing a full dity move but after talking with people i think im going to make the decision to have the CG move us. However, i plan on going home back east for a week or so to visit family before he graduates. can i schedule a pick up for like the 11th or 12th of this month? and will going home affect the delivery or will they just store it until we call with a drop off date and location? and what is the typical wait time for delivery? i know my husband doesnt want to be without a bed for too long.

also i plan on driving our truck to wherever we get stationed. say we get east coast and i currently live in CO will they pay me my gas mileage an per diem for a set route and any detours i take home is out of pocket or will i lose the priviledge of gas milage and per diem?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement