Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Cutter Surface Swimmer
Last Post 15 Sep 2012 05:54 PM by Cooch. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
08 Jan 2011 05:44 PM
    Read a great article on this qualification. Wondering if anyone has any more info on the process of becoming one. Article said it was voluntary, but the training and requirements are tough.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    08 Jan 2011 05:52 PM
    I found this:

http://www.uscg.mil/directives/ci/1...134_2C.pdf

It says that the unit is who qualifies the Cutter Surface Swimmer. Our boat just went through tssta and we had to practice this during our man overboard drill. Our Cutter Surface Swimmer is our qualified EMT on board. He is an IT1. I am assuming they qualified him to do it since he is the EMT. The pdf /\ says that normally it isn't the EMT or the HS on board that are the CSS but I think our EMT is the CSS because we have a HSCS and a O-3 Doc. Our boat goes to the arctic so I sure a hell hope we never have to use him the water is soooo cold.
    You can only make yourself look bad.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    08 Jan 2011 06:38 PM
    Thanks for the link. I just read through it and I have a much better understanding now. Im very interested in qualifying for this once Im at my first unit. I assume if the unit already has a designated CSS (1 or 2 depending on cutter size), you cant become one? Or can units have more than the specified amount of CSS's aboard?
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    08 Jan 2011 07:05 PM
    you can have as many as you want, usually the more the better because if the first swimmer gets hurt or is too tired there is another swimmer.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 Jan 2011 07:12 PM
    One of the guys on Colin's boat that was the rescue swimmer was a SN, he always enjoyed it. Swim calls he had to be in the water in his rescue gear but it didn't bother him.
    USCGC Midgett
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    09 Jan 2011 08:42 AM
    Very good to know, thats everyone. I hope to make it once I get to my first unit!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    09 Jan 2011 10:50 AM
    Nick, I too read probably the same article you did. I would love to try to qualify for that if I get a cutter. Well, I would love to qualify for anything I can!
    "Hell is something you carry with you. Not somewhere you go."
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBennett09

--
    12 Jan 2011 08:14 AM
    I'm the surface swimmer on my boat. The only time I get dressed out is when we have a MOB drill (and if we ever have a MOB, hope not!) I took a week long course with the other swimmer on my boat about a year ago. We did some hard core stuff, felt like Ashton Kutcher lol. And having the twelve of us (all from different WPB's in Miami) coming out of the water onto South Beach and having everyone taking pictures of us felt pretty cool too.
    Anyhow, when we have our M&R week (which is before/after every patrol) I am in charge of all the R&S gear like the stokes litter and my swimmer gear (inventory, checking condition, washing it down).
    "Go out and do good things."
    BadTuna

--
    03 Sep 2011 11:40 PM
    I didn't know cutters have surface swimmers. At my station it's just part of the boat crew qual.
    JA1991

--
    04 Sep 2011 01:02 PM
    I really want to try and qualify for this also, I want to be an AST so i feel like any extra help would be good.
    BadTuna

--
    04 Sep 2011 02:36 PM
    Would you be swimming off the Ship or one of the OTH's etc?
    Diesel

--
    15 Sep 2012 05:43 PM
    Sorry to bring back an old thread... Is this something you could do during CSPI?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    15 Sep 2012 05:54 PM
    No, you would have to be attached to a unit that has a need for a swimmer.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement