Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
MEPS is Clear! Est 5 weeks to ship!
Last Post 15 Jan 2011 11:07 PM by captkyguy. 17 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
nengland

--
10 Jan 2011 12:57 PM
    So barring HIV in my blood, coke in my piss, or a couple dead hookers in my background check, my recruiter estimates I'll be at Cape May in about 5 weeks or so.

W00T!  
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Jan 2011 01:29 PM
    I love the descriptors! I'm going to assume none of those skeletons are dancing around in your closet! LOL

Congratulations, that is truly fantastic!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    bikesnotscott

--
    10 Jan 2011 05:46 PM
    Nengland,
    SWEEEEET!

If that estimate is accurate that will put you in boot camp with me on February 15th!

We will show these young kids what's up.
    younghef

--
    10 Jan 2011 07:58 PM
    Congrats on the all clear at MEPS!  I was there with you today and also on the "older" side of most recruits.  Unfortunately, my medical review included two DQ's.  I am a reserve candidate and get the impression from what I've read, waivers are few and far between these days.  The CMO seemed enthusiastic about it, but I would love to hear a recruiters opinion.  Put a call into mine right after leaving MEPS.  Hoping for the best...
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    10 Jan 2011 09:08 PM
    Absolutely Awesome nengland! I wish you nothing but a fabulous journey!

younghef...total bummer on your news...hope your recruiter can help you out, but MEPS sucks and they stick to their guns on DQ's...
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    nengland

--
    10 Jan 2011 09:50 PM
    Old Guard2, those hookers and the dead donkey were in another life and another country. Let's just say it was No Bueno. Hopefully they don't all show up on the Fed database.

Bikesnotscott, I'll be sure to post in the Boot Camp subforum when I have a date. It's certainly not impossible.

Sorry to hear about that, younghef. That's a disappointment. Let us know what happens. We're routing for you! Sometimes the impossible is made possible with a little persistence and a lot of dumb luck.

Thanks for also bringing up my age. That's really nice of you. I mean really, really, nice.

It was really obvious when I talked to another kid who was enlisting in the marines. He's from Shasta and I made the comment that my younger sister is a high school teacher up there. Turned out my little sister is one of his teachers. Small world, and where's my cane/walker?

Thanks captkyguy! I wish I could buy everyone a round of drinks.

younghef

--
    11 Jan 2011 11:32 AM
    captkyguy - MEPS is no joke. They find everything and EVERYTHING. Honestly twice as stressful as the ASVAB. Ironic cause I was more worried about that.

nengland - Strange how a past life comes back to haunt you. Guess that's why most recruits are seeing there first r rated movie the same year. ;-) And if I get past this DQ bump, you can thank me for bringing up your age at a future CG function. Just curious, what are you shooting for? I scored high (not a 97), but not sure yet.

Emailing my recruiter/recruiters with a followup to yesterdays VM. Just trying to bring them up to speed and get the ball rolling. Thanks for the support fellas.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    nengland

--
    11 Jan 2011 12:57 PM

Sounds like a plan younghef. I really have a passion for computers and would do well with a rating in IT.

younghef

--
    13 Jan 2011 10:26 AM
    So I've been doing some research...

Turns out the sections of the Army Standards for Medical Fitness that pertain to my DQ's are very specific. By that I mean, in order to "not meet the standard" they would have to "significantly impede normal function." My current hope is that I can prove that is not the case, but my freakin (frustration directed at MEPS) recruiter is MIA. I drafted another email outlining this and a few other things, but no response. Did government officials have off in Boston yesterday because of the weather?

Keeping my fingers crossed...
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 Jan 2011 10:31 AM
    Your recruiter was probably home shoveling out... I'm sure there was snow liberty or something granted. I know all state offices were closed and my son, who is stationed in Boston, was hunkered down in his girlfriends apartment for the duration. Now he is currently on stand down so he wasn't supposed to be aboard ship anyway. But one day with no response, I would cut the recruiter a break. Maybe he was in the office, maybe he was taking care of Coasties that are shipping out next week, maybe he was a little busy with other appointments.

Sector NY, Staten Island
    younghef

--
    13 Jan 2011 10:54 AM
    Old Guard - by no means was it meant to be a sign of disrespect. I apologize if it came across as such. It was merely an attempt at expressing my frustration with the DQs and MEPS. So maybe should have been "freaking MEPS."

My recruiter was very helpful and did seemed genuinely interested in helping me move along. That's why not hearing from him was of concern.

I realize my choice of words was poor and hope you nor any other members take offense to them.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 Jan 2011 10:59 AM
    Freaking MEPS I could accept a whole lot easier! It's all good.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    bikesnotscott

--
    13 Jan 2011 11:16 AM
    younghef,

I'm out of Boston as well, I assume you've been going to the Malden recruiting office? who is your recruiter (don't worry I'm not going to tell them about the "freaking" comment! just curious!)?

We may have crossed paths in the process
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    13 Jan 2011 09:29 PM
    Good luck younghef...I wish you the best and completely understand your MEPS frustration...
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    nengland

--
    14 Jan 2011 11:31 AM
    Waiting is so hard.
    younghef

--
    14 Jan 2011 11:59 AM
    I heard back today! And yes waiting is hard, but given my current situation, I'm gonna have to get used to it.

My recruiter is going to do all he can to get me past the MEPS assessment. It seems that basically it comes down to a CG doctor saying my DQ's have no impact on my ability to serve. One DQ in particular seems to be more of an issue. Unfortunately, I have no medical records on it since I was never medically diagnosed, although I suspected it.

Also need to pull together my letters of recommendation.

I was stalled, but back in gear now...
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    bikesnotscott

--
    14 Jan 2011 05:18 PM
    awesome news! I hope for the best!
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    15 Jan 2011 11:07 PM
    Awesome!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement