Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Knee Surgery?
Last Post 01 May 2012 11:42 AM by Cooch. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
lucecr

--
22 Jan 2011 06:54 AM
    Ok...spoke with recruiter.  Pretty goods news too.  A medical review board is going to look over the records of my ACL replacement I had done in my knee.  If they decide it was done right and that I the knee is in sound condition, I can go in active.  Of course I'd have a physical and take the ASVAB.  No worries.  Does anyone know from hearing or experience if this is going to keep me out?  I read that you cant go if screws or pins are holding joint together.  I still have screws but they aren't "holding the knee joint together".  They just held ligament there until it fused to bones.  Seems like a really big gray area.  Thanks.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    22 Jan 2011 08:01 AM
    I have not had much luck with ACL injury's. I do not have exact numbers but I place it around 1 in 4 for those I have worked with. Each case is different.

From the Medical Manual;

History of uncorrected anterior (717.83) or posterior (717.84) cruciate
    ligament injury is disqualifying. History of surgical correction of knee
    ligaments (P81.4) is disqualifying only if symptomatic or unstable.

I wish you the best!
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    lucecr

--
    22 Jan 2011 08:01 PM
    The second part of that gives me a glimmer of hope...really dont think it is unstable. I dont have any problems with soreness or anything close to it. Thank you for you reply.
    ldschmidt29

--
    03 Feb 2011 06:29 PM
    I am in the same predicament. Before I joined the Marines I had an ACL repair done on my right knee. The Marines Wavered me in and I eventually even picked up Flight Status on V-22s then C-130's. I just faxed the medical info to the recruiter today. I'm hoping since all the Medical info is from a Navy Flight Doctor it will help my case a little bit? I have screws in there but doctor said I could get them taken out but there was no real point since they don't stop me from doing anything. I'm sure since I can Perform a USMC PFT, CFT, and pass a navy flight physical every year that I could do the same with the Coast Guard? Any one have any other thoughts on this or experience?
    Baby6116

--
    27 Feb 2011 01:46 PM
    I had my ACL replaced about 1 year ago and no one has made a stink about it. I am a active duty Marine and as long as you do not have issues with it you should be good. I too work on the V-22 and have no issue with the physical side of the house. I wouldn't worry to much about unless you can''t do certain things thats all you would have to worry about.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    27 Feb 2011 02:31 PM
    Staying in the military with such an injury is a lot easier than getting into the military with such an injury.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Baby6116

--
    27 Feb 2011 03:11 PM
    I agree it is, not sure on what type hardware they used but mine dissolved after so long but i kow that makes a big difference as well.
    lucecr

--
    19 Jan 2012 09:32 PM
    Ok its been a year since I started this post and I am still trying to get in. Still been doing the law enforcement scene. I feel like I still can get in with this dang knee issue. I know/have talked to so many people that got waivers or just got in without a waiver. I just wanna serve my Country again. And I actually have an interest in the FS rating which I think is still really hurting for personnel. Any new news on if anything has changed on the procedures. Chuckles, you posted:
    "History of surgical correction of knee ligaments (P81.4) is disqualifying only if symptomatic or unstable."
    Well if I can be a Police Officer and I'm not having any problems at all, I wouldn't think it is unstable. MEPS Dr. didn't even look at my knee. He looked at my surgical record and boom, NO. I am very active, slightly over the weight requirement, but healthy. Hell I chased a perp in a 400yd sprint the other day, caught and wrestled him before taking him into custody. I dont think the food in the CG is gonna fight. Sorry for venting. Any recruiter want to help take on this challenge with me. I am pretty sure I have all my paperwork sitting here. If I don't I will find it. I am not a quitter and will do whatever it takes to get back in. Just steer me in right direction and I'll take the initiative to do it all. Please don't take this as anger, just a little upset and feel that a Dr.gave me the short end of the stick.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    20 Jan 2012 07:40 AM
    If the MEPS gave you the DQ, then a recruiter has to pursue a waiver. Waivers are notoriously hard to come by. You can contact your recruiter, give them the updates, but if they still say no then it's a no. Good Luck!
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    mubikS

--
    26 Jan 2012 08:38 AM
    As of yesterday, I am another Pre-MEPS casualty. I had spoken to a recruiter last year, and he submitted my knee surgery opnotes to MEPS, and they approved everything. I let too much time go by (I wanted to get in better shape for DEPOT, but in retrospect, should have gone ahead with MEPS and the ASVAB), and now have had to resubmit everything. This time they DQ'd me, and listed Chondromalacia as the reason. The opnote is confusing: one paragraph lists "mild chondromalacia" while the following states "no chondromalacia found".

If surgical correction in not disqualifying if not symptomatic or unstable, then I am at a loss here. I ran six triathlons, and various other road races this year, including a 2:08 half marathon in November. I am eager to serve, and am healthy and well. It seems I just caught MEPS on the wrong day of the week and got the wrong doctor screening my stuff this time.

What is the chance that I can follow up with my surgeon, perhaps redo an MRI, and get a waiver?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    26 Jan 2012 09:12 AM
    Pursuing a waiver is solely up to your recruiter. You'll need to discuss it with them.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Irish528

--
    01 May 2012 10:20 AM
    My suggestion would be to go back to the doctor who wrote the opnote and have it corrected. Then resubmit your package. I had ACL replacement too. I had to see two doctor's at MEPS. They ulitmately approved me. However I know guys who were DQ'd. It's hit and miss. In my case I had some opnotes which were confusing as well. I was able to get them cleaned up and corrected by the medical staff. I would try that. You could also try getting the doctor to look at your knee again and write additional information. Best of luck......
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    01 May 2012 11:42 AM
    Posted By Gears on 26 Jan 2012 09:12 AM
    Pursuing a waiver is solely up to your recruiter. You'll need to discuss it with them.

This is 100% correct. Regardless of what medical records are produced, it comes down to recruiter discretion.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement