Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
a few questions about joing the CG
Last Post 02 Feb 2011 10:29 PM by thainess. 19 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
thainess

--
30 Jan 2011 01:07 AM
    i have decided to join the CG its a pretty definite decision. im currently 19 and a year and a half away from finishing up my bachelors degree in may 2012 should i try to get in touch with a recruiter now? or should i wait till its closer to graduation (i plan on graduating before joining) a few questions i have is that when i talk to a recruiter will he lie to me? cause I've heard recruiters will lie and say anything to get you to sign. (not that any of this will affect my decision to join cause its pretty definite that this is the career path I've chosen) but i wanted to know things like about the g.i. bill if i dont use it will it roll over to my kids? health insurance would i still have it after I'm done serving? also would i be able to join as active duty while attending college?
    jabberwookie

--
    30 Jan 2011 02:04 AM
    CG recruiters have no reason to lie to you. Because they're such a small service branch, the Coast Guard is much more selective than the rest of the military, so the recruiter does not have to make you false promises to get you to join.

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Jan 2011 07:59 AM
    I agree with Jabber. I don't think any recruiter "lies", exaggerate the truith a bit, possibly. However, the CG takes the 10 best in their office, not the 10 first in their office. So if you go in and your recruiter tells you something, you can pretty much guarantee it is accurate.

As for your GI Bill, yes, after 10 years of active duty service you can pass that on to your child. You can pass it on to a spouse after 6 years. If you serve your full 20, you can retire and yes, you will have retiree benefits, that includes health insurance and the right to shop at commissary & exchanges worldwide for the rest of your life.

Speak to a recruiter now. It can take anywhere from a few months to a year to actually get a ship date to boot camp. So don't hesitate, contact someone now. Out of curiousity, at 19 you will have your Bachelor's Degree?? What age did you start school? I think it's great that you are that advanced, it just isn't often you hear of a 19 year old with a Bachelor's. Congratulations and best of luck in your endeavors.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    hopeful-reservist

--
    30 Jan 2011 09:37 AM

I would also suggest that you begin to collect important documents and information if you don't have them already. (Like: do you know where your birth certificate and social security card are? Did you break a bone when you were younger? Who was the doctor then? Etc.)
    Even if you don't end up joining, it's important to have those documents.
    Also, keep a record of your jobs and where you've lived. Include supervisor names, phone numbers, dates of employment, etc.
    Good luck!

thainess

--
    31 Jan 2011 12:25 AM
    thank you for all your feedback, i would like to say that i meant no disrespect to any recruiters.

also i would be 21 when i get my bachelors, bday is on march 7th. ;] turning 20 this year and graduating next may.... i could graduate dec. if i wanted to but id have to take alot of hours...

i did send the recruiters office my prescreen from on thursday 1/27/11 they told me that theyd call me back within at least 24 hours of when i sent it in, should i call them tomorrow on monday (1/31/11) or wait a few more days to call?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    31 Jan 2011 06:20 AM
    I don't think anyone thought you were being disrespectful. It has always been speculated that recruiters will say whatever they need to get you in the service. However, right now the enlistment numbers are so high, retention rates are high and the applicants coming in number more than the CG can take. So you can rest assured you'll be told the real deal.

I would give a call back, it won't hurt. More than likely you will get voice mail... speak slowly, clearly, when you end the call repeat your name and your number. I know when I record my personal voice mail at work, I write down what I want to say. I know my name, I know the dates I'll be out of the office, I know my department... but no matter how much I know all that, I still stumble & trip over my own tongue. So write down what you want to say and you'll sound great. Good luck!

As far as the graduation... I'm old, it seems so close so you said 19, I thought you were graduating young... but you're graduating normal! LOL Either way, young or old, congratulations!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    bj6078

--
    31 Jan 2011 12:51 PM
    My son was in the DEP program and was waiting for a boot camp date...it kept getting changed and now they say he will not be processed anymore and that he will not be able to go to boot camp or to join the CG. He is devastated. What options does he have at this time?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    31 Jan 2011 01:03 PM
    For what reason was he DQ'ed? Your question doesn't give enough information for anyone to provide you with guidance.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    31 Jan 2011 01:03 PM
    What reason was he given? Was it a medical problem, or something come up in his background check?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    31 Jan 2011 04:31 PM
    bj - I sent you a private message, check your "in" box
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    31 Jan 2011 04:31 PM
    bj, that is absolutely terrible...I wish him the very best!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    thainess

--
    01 Feb 2011 04:23 PM
    just spoke to a recruiter! meeting with him on Tuesday!
    he told me he could get me going to basic in march.

i asked if i could finish this semester up first he said that i could

i was wondering should i finish up school before i go to basic or head off to basic this summer and finish up school while i serve? id be put in e-3 pay grade if i leave in march or summer i dont know if that'd make a big difference if i finish school or if i don't
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Chisels1

--
    01 Feb 2011 05:53 PM
    I would finish school. It shows your recruiter that you are committed to completing what you've started. Is this College you are finishing?

I'm also waiting to finish College this May and plan to meet once again in March with my Recruiter. He fully understood my decision and it will enable me to pursue OCS in the future.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Feb 2011 07:29 PM
    Finish school meaning the semester or finish school meaning another year or 2???? I would finish the semester, you've already started & probably already paid, don't lose out on that. But I would say take advantage of the summer ship date and finish your degree once you are in. You'll be getting paid and the CG will pay for your schooling. So I think that would be the best course of action.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    thainess

--
    01 Feb 2011 07:51 PM
    Old Guard2 - i meant finishing school in about a year and a half, but i was thinking that i could finish while i serve also. I'm for sure going to finish up this semester. but how hard is it to take online school? cause the college i am currently attending has a program for online school where you can obtain a degree taking classes online. would it be difficult to do while i serve?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 Feb 2011 06:44 AM
    At the beginning, yes. I won't lie to you, it would be hard. You have to give a lot of extra time to the CG at the begnning. You are learning so many new things, duty schedules are sorta crazy... I'm not saying a non-rate can't do it but it would be tough. But after you have been in a year, 18 months, you are comfortable in your position, maybe even have A school under your belt, I highly encourage going back to school It is completely possible and manageable. You need to have the desire and the discipline to be able to focus on classes. Gears is in school, Chukles is in school, Southern wants to get acclimated at his new station and then he is heading back to school My ex earned 2 Associates, a Bachelors and a Masters all while going from E-1 to O-5... so it is difficult but it is manageable if you really want it.

I would say go this summer, take a year or so off while you learn the CG. Then head back to school, let the military pay for it and you never know where that advancement can take you!!!!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    thainess

--
    02 Feb 2011 11:51 AM
    I'm pretty much torn right now between finishing school or starting my coast guard career early, I'm currently on scholorship so my college is paid for. hard part is deciding wheather or not to stay in and graduate or start my career early and finish up later, at the end of this semester i would be 43 credits away from graduating... taking a ton of hours through summer and the fall 2011 semester i would be able to graduate by december....
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 Feb 2011 11:58 AM
    Only you have the answer to that question. You have to sit down with a pen & paper, list out pros & cons of both options. Whichever one you feel the strongest about, will have the most pros. It isn't an easy decision but one for you and your situation and emotions and timing and desires. I wish you all the best of luck.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    02 Feb 2011 01:37 PM
    I agree with Old Guard...only you can answer this question...

However being on a scholarship that has your schooling paid for, then in my opinion you should honor that scholarship and complete your schooling...the Coast Guard will always be there and will always need good, well educated people to enlist and/or become officers.

If you were having to pay for school I would say go for enlistment and finish up your schooling at a later date...honor, integrity and commitment to duty in my opinion fall within completing the scholarship and graduating first.

I wish you the best and a fantastic journey!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    thainess

--
    02 Feb 2011 10:29 PM
    Yea I'm going to finish school, hopefully when I tell the recruiter I'm meeting on Tuesday he wont think I'm wasting his time... since I wont be graduating till a while from now...

I was on gocoastguard and I saw stuff about OCS school having a degree and going to officer school after you graduate, sounded good I'm probably going to talk to my recruit about the steps I need to take to do that
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement