Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
August 9, 2011
Last Post 07 Aug 2011 09:20 AM by ojrivera. 79 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>
Author Messages
suddenlysinister

--
01 Feb 2011 12:34 PM

Shipping from OKC, OK on this date after a relatively lengthy DEP period, giving me time to finish my degree, extend my civilian job into the summer, and obtain an increased fitness level before beginning my journey.

Cookie24

--
    01 Feb 2011 12:38 PM
    Im shipping same date but from Rochester, NY
    suddenlysinister

--
    02 Feb 2011 11:00 AM
    little less a trip for you my friend, hah..
    JimMitchell

--
    02 Feb 2011 10:55 PM
    Hey Cookie, I'm from Rochester, NY too! I'm shipping February 22nd though. Are you from Rochester originally? I'm shipping out of Boston cause I live in Rhode Island right now.
    Cookie24

--
    04 Feb 2011 02:19 PM
    Yes I am from Rochester originally. Went to Greece Arcadia High School. What part of Rochester you from?
    JimMitchell

--
    04 Feb 2011 02:26 PM
    I'm from Greece too. Graduated from Athena in 2004. You just graduate or graduating in June?
    Cookie24

--
    05 Feb 2011 08:29 PM
    I graduated from Arcadia in 2007.  I go to RIT right now and will be graduating from there this coming May with a bachelors degree in Accounting.  I see your shipping off in February.  You got to let me know what boot camp is like. lol  Good to know there is a fellow Greece Alumni going into the Coast Guard with me.  Hopefully we will be able to work together, what jobs you looking at?
    JimMitchell

--
    06 Feb 2011 11:14 AM
    That's awesome! I went to Utica College and got my degree in Economic Crime Investigation. I have been trying to get jobs in law enforcement since i graduated in August of 2008. With the economy being the way it's been it hasn't been easy to find state and federal jobs. So I started looking into the military and found out about all the stuff that the USCG does. I really had no idea about the things that they did other than search and rescue. So I figured with all the law enforcement that CG does it might be even better than anything I was looking into before. So i'm excited. I am looking at ME and BM and thinking that if given the choice I would love to go up to Alaska for a while. What jobs are you looking into?
    suddenlysinister

--
    06 Feb 2011 03:32 PM
    Don't mean to cut into convers, but I thought it waz interesting wht jim said abt BM & Alaska, since thts the rate I'm probably gonna persue. I also desire to be stationed North if possible. My recruiter mentioned AK when I told him that, said he may put in a transfer for that region soon himself. If I don't get placed there, or anywhere remotely close initially, I'm sure opportunities will arise down the road, after sufficient time serving iz logged.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    06 Feb 2011 07:23 PM
    That's where my son cut his teeth after boot camp, Kodiak, Alaska on a Cutter...then off to BM "A" school. They even diverted the Cutter from the Bering Sea to Dutch Harbor when he received his orders. A USCG C-130 flew him back to Kodiak, and he was in Yorktown 3 days later.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Chisels1

--
    06 Feb 2011 10:04 PM
    pepperdoggie, that is so awesome, did he have the BM "A" School in his contract? District 17 is one area I'd like to ship off to after BC., 13 and 1 would be the others. Is August 9, 2011 what Recruiters are getting for a ship date, or are many spots still open for dates sooner for BC? Is there only one group of recruits going through BC at a time? I'd hate to wait past August.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    07 Feb 2011 08:24 AM
    He joined back in 2002, and he went unrated. He changed his mind several time before settling on BM. (AET, MK). Back "then" the "A" school wait was shorter, and he was not quite to the top of the list, when they had a couple drop out above him for various reasons, hence he got last minute orders...and the rush was on to get to Yorktown with 4 days notice.

Hint: If you are coming from a Cutter, and are OUTCONUS (outside the Continental US)...and you finish as the top student (or near the top)...you many times get first pick for available locations after "A" school. Those who are stationed stateside (INCONUS), at a shore station are picking later. Many "A" schools take class ranking and previous location into consideration when it comes time to pick your first permanent duty station. It pays to study and do well in "A" school. Otherwise you may get the leftovers.
    Cookie24

--
    07 Feb 2011 09:02 AM
    I am looking into ME and IS but not sure what I really want to do yet.  I think IS would be better for me if I want to go government after maybe.  But police has always been my passion so I think ME would fit my needs and wants better.  I am also a hands on guy, I want to be out there getting dirty and being part of the action.
    msttraci

--
    04 May 2011 08:42 PM
    My recruiter put in the request for Aug. 9th, I'll be flying out of Southern CA. I am crossing my fingers for MST but ME sounds fun too! I also like to be in the field- maybe we'll be working together Cookie
    Jeremy0

--
    06 May 2011 06:50 AM
    Im shipping same date but from St. Pete Florida straight out of high school graduating next month woohooo
    08bullitt

--
    06 May 2011 10:52 AM
    I was just confirmed for Aug 9th too! Yay I'm so excited!
    msttraci

--
    08 May 2011 03:01 AM
    thats awesome bullitt! how long were you waiting for the confirmation?
    08bullitt

--
    08 May 2011 04:38 PM
    I was confirmed in one day but it was my second attempt. I had to pay off two credit cards to get under the 30% D/I ratio.
    msttraci

--
    08 May 2011 11:49 PM
    I paid off my credit cards and 2 days later they checked mine (I have a monitoring thingy)- it posted just in time
    You must've been lucky that day to get it confirmed so fast!
    I have an awesome recruiter who has been on top of things since day 1- it's been 2.5 weeks since we put in the request and we still haven't heard anything back yet- I'm hoping tomorrow

I started feeling all excited/nervous/happy/scared today when I realized that exactly 3 months from tomorrow we'll all be in Cape May!
    08bullitt

--
    09 May 2011 09:05 AM
    I know! I'm so excited! I think my recruiter must have told them to except me ASAP because I have been on his caboose about pushin things along. I have an awesome recruiter too he just needed alittle kick start at first lol. He also told me that he put two other request the same time as mine and he hasn't heard anything about their status yet.
    msttraci

--
    11 May 2011 06:17 PM
    That's great! I got the official confirmation today!
    msttraci

--
    15 May 2011 11:48 PM
    Has anyone else started packing yet? I'm not packing much... just the Helmsman permitted items. I find waking up to my duffel bag everyday kinda motivating
    08bullitt

--
    17 May 2011 05:35 PM
    Haha! I haven't started packing but I guess I could get a head start like you. I got sworn in today! I'm stoked!!!
    suddenlysinister

--
    19 May 2011 03:35 AM
    radical bullitt!! haven't started packing either msttraci, but Aug will be here before we know it! BC gunna be stressful at first, we'll manage though.
    msttraci

--
    19 May 2011 12:26 PM
    Wahoo! Congrats Bullit! Just in the time I first talked to my recruiter in January time has flown by. 5 months seems like a week! Aug 9 is less than 3 months and it's gonna come fast! I need to work on my push-ups
    suddenlysinister

--
    19 May 2011 04:07 PM
    yeah, i been running a little bit each week and doing mild strength training as well. I really need to start swimming too, hardly ever find myself in the water. And, the only way to prepare for the swimming we're all gonna be doing, well, is to swim! BC probably consists of less swimming than I had originally thought, but we do have to pass the swim test. I wonder what the running/swimming ration actually is for recruit training, anyone know?
    08bullitt

--
    20 May 2011 05:46 PM
    Well you motivated me, I started buying stuff for BC. I have to work on my pushups as well! I can hardly do two done the correct way. I've decided to join a gym before we leave, maybe I won't get yelled at as much... (yeah right) lol
    Oh, FYI, I hear they do some stationary bike excirses that are murder!
    msttraci

--
    20 May 2011 11:00 PM
    yeah! i got this from the life cycle topic in boot camp questions, i did it today at the gym and it's killer!

10 minutes warm up at level 1-3 at 80 rpm. Then you would start at intensity level 10, pedalling over 100 rpms for 1 minutes, then rest at level 3 for 2 minutes at 80 rpm, the next sprint was at level 11, then 12, etc. We usually did the one minute intervals until level 16 or 17, then we would do a 15 second sprint over 100 rpm continuing up the levels with a 45 second rest until you hit level 20. We would then do a few at level 20. Then a 10 minute cool down at level 3, 80 rpm. Basically all rest is minimum 80 rpm, sprints are as fast as you can but above 100 rpm. Most of our workout were anywhere from 35-50 minutes long and sucked, excellent workouts though, you will be dripping sweat! That is about as detailed as I can get, hopefully it all makes sense

i was walking pretty funny afterwards- i was walking like a cowboy after a long horse ride. But i feel i am getting in much better shape- one of my friends did it with me and she couldn't even do level 10 (and she does pilates and all those sorts of classes!)

To help build up your push ups, a friend of mine who is a trainer, recommended doing at least 200 push ups everyday. Not all at once but do as many as you can. Say, when you wake up, after you brush your teeth, before and after meals, while watching tv, that sort of thing- i have yet to do that though heehee- but don't worry! I have myself on track to do at least the guys' standards- i don't wanna be the one making everyone do extra PT
    msttraci

--
    20 May 2011 11:07 PM
    also walmart has been the best place for everything so far! they have good "active" wear type v-neck shirts for $5 i think they were Danskin Now brand- they're a little thicker than normal and they reflect sweat. plus the faded glory brand has black and white socks with no writing on them (in girls & guys). oh and sports bras 2 for $10

after talking to FloridaGirl (she's awesome!) she recommended getting the razors with the soap already built-in. i bought the venus spa kind- they are pricey but she says they are well worth it. don't know how well they would work for guys- but it's worth it to test out. i think they make them in disposables too?
    JeremyOn

--
    30 May 2011 10:05 PM
    so all of you are leaving august 9th too? thats awesome. anyone else from florida or is it just me lol
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 3123 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement