Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
High Blood Pressure
Last Post 16 Feb 2011 09:57 AM by hopeful-reservist. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
manofthewild07

--
01 Feb 2011 12:55 PM
    Hey guys,

I have another one of those MEPS questions for everyone.

So 4-5 years ago I was applying to the academy for college and getting a physical for it (along with the physical I needed for varsity swimming and water polo aka I was fit). And lo and behold my blood pressure was around 150/90 or something like that.

I did every test they could throw at me. Kidneys, blood, EKG of my heart. Nothing. I can't remember now but I believe my Doctor just signed a letter with the physical basically as a "waiver" I guess.

Well, I didn't get into the academy and now after college I'm getting ready to do my physical again. Since then I've been randomly checking my blood pressure and just yesterday it was 118/82 (good). However today just getting worked up about this I checked it a few minutes ago and it was about 145 (prehypertension). 

Now I'm pretty sure people's blood pressure rises when they get anxious, etc. That's what my doctor in the past said it was, that I just get nervous in doctors offices or something. No diagnosis, just sometimes high blood pressure for no reason.

But now I'm wondering if this is a problem and if it needs to go on my forms? Is this as much of a problem as I think it is? Since it wasn't anything in the past and I don't put it on my physical application and I do have a high BP at MEPS will that be bad for me?
    Any insight would be helpful, thanks.
    hopeful-reservist

--
    01 Feb 2011 01:02 PM

I don't have a good answer except to caution you (or anyone) from self-diagnosing medical issues. If I'm reading your post correctly, you tested your own blood pressure. I would perhaps have someone else administer the test. I do know that stress/anxiety can increase the pressure, too.

Unless you have good reason to believe you have a medical issue, I would just try to find a way to relax while you're getting ready to have your BP measured.

manofthewild07

--
    01 Feb 2011 01:05 PM
    thanks,
    yeah I was told by my doc to get a blood pressure cuff and just keep track of it. I know how, but I'm sure its not exactly accurate since I'm not really trained, but its not too hard to get a ballpark.

I have found some other threads on this topic now. so thanks and I'd be interested to hear any stories of this happening.
    hopeful-reservist

--
    01 Feb 2011 01:08 PM
    Good luck with everything. All I can say is that it might be a good idea to get yourself ready for the test (wrap your arm, get positioned) and then just relax for several minutes. If it was an issue though, I think you're doctor would have said something, too.
    manofthewild07

--
    01 Feb 2011 01:10 PM
    It never has been a problem, I went on to play water polo and swim at the state level for two more seasons.

This is what someone else said:

"We were told at MEPS that if you have not been officially diagnosed DO NOT put it down. If you think you might have it DO NOT put it down. They said if you were at a doctor and officially diagnosed and it will show up in medical records put it down. Otherwise keep it out as it is not an official diagnosis.

If you go to the doctor just to get those tests done now it will become a diagnosis. If I was in your situation I would give your normal doctor a call and see if he wrote anything in your file and then go from there. If he did then start those tests. If not leave it be as it is obviously not a diagnosed medical condition."
    hopeful-reservist

--
    01 Feb 2011 02:48 PM
    I would wholeheartedly second what that person said, manofthewild07.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    01 Feb 2011 09:38 PM
    100% agree...do not put down something you think you have or even may have been told you have by someone else if they are not a medical doctor...!!!

Your blood pressure changes often throughout the day...it is hard to get the same reading all the time, lots of things we do, drink and eat will cause it to change, couple that with stress and anxiety and it can be a roller coaster of numbers.

Many people also have white coat syndrome when it comes to blood pressure checks...practice makes prefect. Get it checked and checked often...you can check it yourself and be very accurate as long as it is not those electronic ones, they have a tendency to be incorrect often, I would recommend and only use the cuff/stethoscope myself. However checking it yourself does not place you in an anxious or stressful situation. But with that said it is also not realistic to go to the doctor’s office several times a day for a blood pressure reading, needless to say that would be quite expensive. Look into your local fire station. We do blood pressure readings all of the time for folks. Just walk in, explain your situation of blood pressure readings being slightly high and that your doctor needs you to get it checked often for several days, up to a weeks, to establish a base line. They should be more then willing to do this for you, as this is their duty to serve the public.

Another thing I would do, if not already, is cut out all caffeine and excessive salt on food...by doing so you will see a good solid 10 to 30 point drop pretty quickly, plus you will feel a lot better. And if you are really driven for better blood pressure find a relaxing art to practice such as Yoga, Tai Chi, meditation or other deep breathing relaxation stuff as you can apply that as you are sitting in the doctors chair being cuffed up for the blood pressure reading and relax thus bringing your blood pressure to a relaxed normal state.

I wish you the best and hope for some normal low numbers for you!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    manofthewild07

--
    15 Feb 2011 09:46 AM
    No worries here. Just got done with MEPS. Fully qualified for the USCG!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    15 Feb 2011 10:16 AM
    Many congratulations!! That is fantastic!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    15 Feb 2011 10:03 PM
    Excellent!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    hopeful-reservist

--
    16 Feb 2011 09:57 AM

Congratulations!

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement