Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Book enroute to BC?
Last Post 30 Mar 2011 12:35 PM by otnasirk. 13 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
bikesnotscott

--
10 Feb 2011 05:22 PM
    Is alright to bring along a book for the flight and the wait at USO? And I'm assuming I would need to pack it in by bag before boarding the bus to Cape May.
    JimMitchell

--
    10 Feb 2011 06:25 PM
    That's what I was going to do. I was planning on leaving my cell and anything else electronic at home and just bringing a book or magazine or two. Might be able to read a whole book considering we go to MEPS at 5 am and don't get to Cape May until night time.

Is there any reason to have a cell phone on the trip to Cape May?
    Klo

--
    10 Feb 2011 06:53 PM
    It's all for preference. A book is a good way to spend the time on the plane and on the bus on the way to Basic Training (though you'll probably be too nervous to read). For my bus I saw people with their cell phones either talking, texting or listening to music along with ipods. You'll have the option to pack  your stuff (in a quick manner!)in your bag that you brought, if you brought one, once you get there.

There's really no reason to bring a cell phone. It's all up to you. You won't, however, be able to use it until you graduate.
    And God said to Noah, "Prepare a Backup, I'm going to Format."
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    bikesnotscott

--
    10 Feb 2011 07:18 PM
    I plan on bringing my cell phone and charger just in case I have to ship straight to my first unit.

Klo - how long is the bus ride anyway?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CablesMom

--
    10 Feb 2011 09:25 PM
    My son brought his cell phone and called me just before he got to Cape May, and then again the night BEFORE graduation. Some CC's allow you to get your belongings the night before, and charge phones.
    Proud Coastie Mom
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Feb 2011 06:54 AM
    Bike, if you do take a book and you plan on not packing it all the way to Cape May... leave it in the USO at Philly. You could even put your name in it & date it, say something like "new recruit off to basic". Another soldier or sailor may want to read it and hopefully he'll do the same, sign it & leave it somewhere. Your book could have the possibility of traveling around the world! Just a thought.

My mom has taken boxes of books down to Maguire AFB in NJ and just left them at the terminal there.  If someone is hopping a flight, they may want a good book to read.  My mom LOVES the USO and does whatever she can to contribute in whatever way.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Matt10p

--
    13 Feb 2011 11:05 PM
    The people in my company got to charge there cell phones the night before graduation, although I'm glad I didn't bring my cell phone because when your bags get stowed at sexton they get thrown in the room, and I'm glad I didn't bring my phone because stuff gets tossed, but you will have the option to pack it once you get there, and you don't go to be until like 2AM, depending how bad everyone is screwing up, and then they wake you up at like 4AM the first day to a stupid BULL HORN, with a police whistle haha....its a good time, I liked it
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    USCGforMe

--
    25 Feb 2011 03:20 PM
    A few days before I left home, I recorded myself reading the general orders, guardian ethos, phonetic alphabet, and other required knowledge.

On the plane and bus rides, in between texting, chit chatting with fellow recruits, and eating...I listened to the recording of myself and it helped me pick it up and remember it quickly.

Just a thought!
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    25 Feb 2011 03:26 PM
    Great idea!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    otnasirk

--
    29 Mar 2011 02:04 PM
    Aren't we suppose to bring our Helmsman book to BC?If so,i'll just be reading that over and over until i get to cape may
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    29 Mar 2011 02:58 PM
    Yes, and you can download a copy of The Guardian Handbook (google it) if you want to be an over achiever.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    otnasirk

--
    29 Mar 2011 04:20 PM
    Thanks gears!I'll just check it out and get an idea on what's in the book.I don't want to cram everything before i go to BC
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    30 Mar 2011 06:38 AM
    Don't worry, there is plenty more for you to cram when you get there.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    otnasirk

--
    30 Mar 2011 12:35 PM
    @Gears-LOL!That's nice to hear.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement